Another 6800 GT/Ultra question

planetary

[H]ard|Gawd
We all know that most GT's clock to Ultra speeds. We also know that GT's only have one molex power connection. Why then, does an Ultra have two molex power connections?

Because GTs can only overclock to about 435mhz core tops without clock throttling due to lack of power, while Ultras can overclock to 480mhz+ with the dual molex.

I'll admit, I am a little drunk right now, but it seems to me that you are saying that nVidia is sort of encouraging overclcoking. Is that correct?

planetary said:
I'll admit, I am a little drunk right now, but it seems to me that you are saying that nVidia is sort of encouraging overclcoking. Is that correct?

Yup. This generation is all about winning back the hardcore they lost last gen with the FX flop, and that includes overclocking.

In fact, the 6800 Ultra's memory is 1.6ns, which is rated at 1200mhz, but the 6800 Ultra comes stock at 1100mhz, giving 100mhz instant memory OC headroom, and often leading to 200mhz memory overclocks (1.3ghz total). Funny, eh? :)

I'll have to agree with you. I also have to say that I'm really liking my GT right now. I'm right at 13,000 in 3dmark 2003. With my X800 Pro I could barely get 11,300. I must also say it's nice to have Digital Vibrance back again.

Back