Anonymous Google employee says NEXUS ONE on VERIZON - March 23

Didn't it say on the Google.com\phone site that it was coming in March? Maybe it just said Spring 2010.

I wish the Nexus One had Sense UI. Overall, I'm excited it's coming to Verizon so soon.

So will this Nexus-One be better than my Wife's crappy MyTouch ? To me her phone feels slow and clunky or like an iPhone beta not ready for prime time.

I know the MyTouch uses Android 1.6 and is like 50% slower hardware wise compared to the N-1. Plus the N-1 uses 2.1 OS. Is that enough difference to make it much better ? Because I was zero impressed with the MyTouch.

Only other smart phones I used previoud were iPhone3G which was a cool and simple phone to use but I dropped ATT like a bad habit. Then went to T-Mo and new BlackBerry which is ok but feels like 1990'S tech so dated I am in market for new phone very soon.

I could go Nexus-One. HTC-HD2. ???
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

So will this Nexus-One be better than my Wife's crappy MyTouch ? To me her phone feels slow and clunky or like an iPhone beta not ready for prime time.

I know the MyTouch uses Android 1.6 and is like 50% slower hardware wise compared to the N-1. Plus the N-1 uses 2.1 OS. Is that enough difference to make it much better ? Because I was zero impressed with the MyTouch.

Depends on which myTouch she has.
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/compare_medresults.php?phones[0]=3607&phones[1]=4278&area=1

The n1 is a thousand times quicker than the mytouch -- it's a different league.

Anyone think that maybe since google is allowing to broaden the reach of the N1 by having it on verizon that they might change phone plans availability with it?

Maybe even as a full upgrade for existing Tmobile customers?

Anyone think that maybe since google is allowing to broaden the reach of the N1 by having it on verizon that they might change phone plans availability with it?

What are you asking? That makes no sense.

No. I don't think you understand what a subsidized phone is. Only the wireless carrier (Verizon, T-Mobile, etc) gain anything by offering you different phone plans. Google is just providing the phone. Unless T-Mobile was willing to pay Google to allow you "full upgrade" (your term, not mine), Google has no incentive to sell for any less. T-Mobile subsidizes phones to lock you into a contract and a guaranteed income each month.

Does this mean that the unlocked version will work with ANY carrier, in ANY country?

Also, does Verizon even have lower plans for unlocked phones like TMobile does? (If not, an unlocked n1 on a verizon plan would waste a lot of money in the long run!) With TMo I could pay less than $50/mo with an unlocked n1 using GV for text.

Does this mean that the unlocked version will work with ANY carrier, in ANY country?

No, it's that they now have a CDMA version of the N1. Google's objective is to let the consumer pick a phone, and then pick a plan (to separate the phone choice from the carrier/coverage choice).

No, it's that they now have a CDMA version of the N1. Google's objective is to let the consumer pick a phone, and then pick a plan (to separate the phone choice from the carrier/coverage choice).

While a good idea, and one I support, I don't see this working. Why? Because there is limited financial incentive to buy a phone at full price when the carriers don't reduce the price of the plan because they aren't subsidizing the phone. If they did this, then it would be great, but they won't get off that gravy train anytime soon.

While a good idea, and one I support, I don't see this working. Why? Because there is limited financial incentive to buy a phone at full price when the carriers don't reduce the price of the plan because they aren't subsidizing the phone. If they did this, then it would be great, but they won't get off that gravy train anytime soon.

They still do subsidize the phones -- T-Mobile subsidizes their version, and I'm sure Verizon will subsidize theirs. Being a part of this doesn't mean you give up the ability to offer locked/unlocked.

They still do subsidize the phones -- T-Mobile subsidizes their version, and I'm sure Verizon will subsidize theirs. Being a part of this doesn't mean you give up the ability to offer locked/unlocked.

I'm pretty sure verizon doesn't do this.

I'm pretty sure verizon doesn't do this.

Well the Droid will be available for purchase on Google's site, and that's locked to Verizon's contract, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Time will tell in the end, so just wait and find out.

Last edited:
Well the Droid will be available for purchase on Google's site, and that's locked to Verizon's contract, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Time will tell in the end, so just wait and find out.

The Droid will NOT be available on Google's site. It's made by Motorola, and nothing indicates that Motorola will be making it's products available through Google.

But what was stated earlier is correct, until there exists a financial motivation to buy a phone outright, for example lowering the monthly bill like T-Mobile does currently, people will have little reason to buy a phone unsubsidized. It just depends on how much you hate the 2 year contracts.

The Droid will NOT be available on Google's site. It's made by Motorola, and nothing indicates that Motorola will be making it's products available through Google.

But what was stated earlier is correct, until there exists a financial motivation to buy a phone outright, for example lowering the monthly bill like T-Mobile does currently, people will have little reason to buy a phone unsubsidized. It just depends on how much you hate the 2 year contracts.

Well just to point out, it's already listed on there.

No, it's not "listed" on there. The page says if you can't wait for the Nexus One on Verizon, get the Droid instead and links you to it. That's not anything close to the same thing.

No, it's not "listed" on there. The page says if you can't wait for the Nexus One on Verizon, get the Droid instead and links you to it. That's not anything close to the same thing.

Right, understood, but it's not exactly as though it isn't listed on their site at all, as though because it's from Motorola that it won't even show up - there is a direct link on the phone purchase page that if you can't wait for the N1 to come to Verizon, go buy the Droid. Yes they aren't offering it directly.

QFT. I think people get the fact that the Droid is a "Google Experience" device mixed up with the Nexus One (which is THE oft-rumored 'Google Phone') - "Google Experience" means the device carries a Google logo somewhere on it, has a stock Android OS as opposed to something like MotoBlur, and is sold through a wireless carrier/wireless carriers.

I think it is really a bad idea of Google selling the Nexus-One online only.

In the U.S. People are used to walking into a store having someone show them the features of the phone close up and talk about the contract in person face to face. And then a lot of people have existing phone from another carrier they will want switched over.

Most people need help with all that. Selling the N-One online only will for sure hurt sales and maybe scare a lot of non tech savy people away. Google really should have the phone sold in the stores.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well, I'm personally looking forward to it. I figure it should have the best support for updates going forward compared to the HTC phones and Droid.

Has anyone directly compared speaker and speakerphone quality with the DROID? For example, my DROID gets loud and mean Wynn a call comes through. Can the N1 match that?

Last edited:
I can answer the ringer volume part now. The N1's less than 1/2 as loud. It's borderline unusable for me. Glad I went w/ DROID.

Though we should expect the Supersonic on Sprint today, according to Gizmodo.

So whats the deal with this? Any news at the conference today?
I haven't seen anything official today, though random google searches turn up anything from random unverifiable blogs saying "it's officially on Verizon" to sites that claim as much in the Google view but when I click the link it tries to infect me with malware. So apparently it's a big enough deal that even malware groups are trying to cash in on it.

Back