Annoying Windows 7 Blue Screen

tuffgong

[H]ard|Gawd
Dell Precision T5500
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
ATI FirePro V4800 with latest drivers

My computer randomly blue screens while in Windows. No text or anything. Just a blue screen and I can't do anything but restart.

Anyone else experience this? I know Google is my friend, but I've tried all of its recomendations.

With that annoying blue screen typically comes an exception code....can you post it?

The STOP code can give a clue sometimes to what's causing the issues. It's just the good old BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) so, it's not as bad as it was years past with Win9x and so on, but they do still happen from time to time - note they're not typically the fault of the OS itself, but more often than not drivers or an errant piece of 3rd party software.

Don't need all the info, just the STOP code and the line of info related to that STOP code, that'll provide some info that people can work with.

So, it doesn't look like this (just an example BSOD):

In that image, in the area where it says "Technical information" it provides the STOP code but it also shows the specific file that caused the BSOD for whatever reason, SPCMDCON.SYS. That's usually how you can track down what's causing the problem(s).

If you're getting a plain blue screen with no white text on it, it's going to be a bit more difficult to figure out what's going on. Check the Event Log for potential clues.

One tip: click Start (or tap the Windows key on the keyboard) to get the Start Menu up, and type the word "reliability" (without quotes, then press Enter) and when you see "View reliability history" appear on the menu, select it. It can provide some pretty useful troubleshooting information in a form that's more easy to understand.

nope its just a light blue empty screen...it must be a video card thing, but my friend has the same machine with no pobs

As far as reliability, I get a notice that Windows was not properly shut down :(

Back