Annoying problem... need a bit of help.

Jay_2

2[H]4U
I have 2 totally seperate networks running. Both have Full Windows 2000 Server DNS, DHCP etc.

They run through 1 central router for connection to the internet.

Now the problem is that they can both see each other and complain about the other DHCP server.

Due to the IP range of the router they both need to be in the 192.168.254.0 range.

Is there anything I can do?

How come the networks cannot be combined into 1?

I would think that if both are doing DHCP/DNS/AD, there would be more problems than just the DHCP servers seeing each other.

(ie wouldnt clients for network 1 possibly get IP'd/registered under network 2?)

i dont think you want to have 2 dhcp servers on the same network, make a vlan/

you shoudl explain the setup more.

change the lan subnet of the internet router to something not already in use, then install a secondary nic in each server with an address on the new subnet, unbind services not required from this additional nic and then connect them up.

edit: or, if you dont have administrative access over the internet router then the above plan would still work, you would just have to change the subnet of what would become the 'inside' network instead. not quite sure how much work that would cause you, as there isn't enough information in the op.

edit2: just a thought... are all of your clients going directly through the router for internet, or via the server? if the answer is the former then i dont really see any easy way of doing this!

If you have two DHCP Servers running on the same network through the same router, I suspect you are having DHCP conflicts.

Typically you can only have one DHCP server active on a network.

If you have two DHCP Servers running on the same network through the same router, I suspect you are having DHCP conflicts.

Typically you can only have one DHCP server active on a network.

Seconded.
You must either use 1 DHCP server on the same network or split into 2 networks.
ie the 2 networks must not be able to see each other.

Back