Annoying Icon in Start Menu...help!!

VulturEMaN

Gawd
I've got a picture of it here:

stupidicon-1.png

if i accicentally click it, i get thrown into safe mode....yay :mad:

can't right click and delete....the only option that comes up is to run it.

anybody got any clue how to get rid of this bastard?

nope....but i just did a fresh install of XP and, for once, did windows update lol

never had this happen before though :confused:

My guess would be to right click the taskbar and go itno the properties. Might be hidden away somewhere under Start Menu > Customize or some such thing.

Looks useful to me, wish I had suck a nifty icon but placed in some other area of the start menu. Where it is is to easy to accidentally click. Before you delete it. What's the syntax I need to add to a shortcut to make the PC reboot to safe mode?

it goes off to a program in system32 called bootsafe.exe, but that program isn't even there anymore. I googled it and there's a bootsafe.exe program you can download, but my friend said he never installed it.

it looks like that little shortcut was inserted via the registry almost....

since the shortcut is now invalid, but isn't an actual shortcut file, what i need is to find the registry command that changes the default broken shortcut action. Normally if you click on a broken shortcut it tells you its broken and to use Search. There's an option that i can't find now where it would prompt you if you wanted to delete it since its invalid.

Right click Start menu and go to Properties. Click on the Start Menu tab and then go to Customize. Click on the Advanced tab. Look under the Start Menu items box for anything out of the ordinary. There should be a box in there you can uncheck.

MavsX, that's the easy way out. Plus, I just reformatted and thats when this did happen >.>

LostMatt, you're right...thats what it should be. However, there was nothing there.

In search of a solution i came across a page on About.com where it shows, in that same location a "About my HP PC". So i googled that instead. It turns out that that spot is a dedicated spot for Manufacturers, and that I could just go in and turn it off in the registry :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555437

Basically if you follow steps 1 and 2 it'll add that checkbox to the Start Menu Properties -> Customize -> Advanced tab. Now it's all gone :D

And now that I changed it back to my old theme, its super sexy :)

stupidiconGONE.png

thanks for your help yall :)

oh and btw.....Windows Key + D = FTW

Back