Annoying Folders

Synful Serenity

[H]ard|Gawd
When I would first install Windows XP, all I had to do was open Explorer, change the view to "List", and then all subfolders would open as "List" also. Opening folders on the desktop or through My Computer would continue as "Tiles", which was how I liked it.

Now after clean install of slipstreamed SP2, it doesn't work like that. If I change the root folder to "List", the rest of the folders still stay in "Tiles" mode. There is an option to apply changes to all folders, but doing this sets My Computer and folders on the desktop to "List" also, when I want them to stay as "Tiles". I am not going to go through every single folder and subfolder to make them "Tiles"....In fact, that's not enough anyway, because I want the default view for making new folders in My Computer or the desktop to remain "Tiles", while remaining "List" if accessed through Windows Explorer shortcut.

I'm probably not following along the problem here, but have you tried toggling the option to Remember Each Folder's View?

Yeah...the problem is though, that it'll remember changing the view for only that folder, and I'd have to manually change the view for every subfolder on the drive. And even then, if I created a new folder, I'd still have to change that folder's view too. My only option it seems, is "Apply to all folders", but then it changes My Computer and desktop folders as well, and I'd have to go through each of them manually too if I want to change the view.

Maybe I can make it clearer what's going on here....If I open Windows Explorer from the shortcut, I want the view to be "List"....But there are other times when you open a folder and all it shows is the contents without the folder pane on the left side, such as opening My Documents, My Computer, or the desktop. For those cases, I want to see the icons.

I just want it working the way it did before!

Back