Annoying Dolby Windows 10 issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 312599
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 312599

I have my laptop (windows 10) connected via HDMI to my lg b9 oled using Nvidia HD audio. I have a Bose Solo speaker connected to the oled via toslink.

In stereo it works fine, but when I switch to dolby atmos, it won't 'wake up' until about 30 seconds after a video is already playing. It works fine until it goes in standby again.

Its not a major issue, but I can't for the life of me figure out why this is the case.

side issue: Ive tried connecting my bose directly to the laptop using a toslink to 3.5mm adapter but I get no sound at all.

Anyone had an issue like this before?

Toslink (and SP/DIF in general) does not support more than stereo uncompressed audio. For compressed audio, Atmos isn't on the list; you need HDMI for that.

In general, it's most likely that the TV is having to down-sample / reencode the audio. As for the laptop... who knows, but it's not likely related.

Yeah I have the same problem with Atmos. My solution was to uninstall the Nvidia HD Audio driver and let the HDMI output be detected as the default HD Audio driver. No more timeouts and all that.

I used to have that issue with the Dolby Digital Live format back in the day. There were silent stream programs that mostly did what Soundkeeper does. Basically they'd just keep your device alive all of the time.

I use HDMI out of a GTX 1080 and I use NVCleanstall to install my drivers. In NVCleanstall, there's an advanced options menu with a couple things you can enable, one of them is a setting that prevents HDMI from sleeping when no audio is playing. I think it's just a registry setting, but works great.

Back