Annoying bug with my monitor?

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi All, I have an Asus ROG XG43UQ. I love the monitor except for one small but very big item. Have a look at the video below and tell me what you think. I have no idea what it is and I am looking a figuring out how to get rid of it. Thank you in advance.

Here is the video:

Attachments

• Img-2357-1.mp4
    6.6 MB
Last edited:
Is it the horizontal band on the blue that's following the window movement?
I've seen something like this with analog cables. How are you connecting with the monitor?

Is it the horizontal band on the blue that's following the window movement?
I've seen something like this with analog cables. How are you connecting with the monitor?
With a Displayport over fiber Cable that is 4k compatible and only 6 foot long.

It only does it though with certain programs...Chrome being a big one.
Interesting - so if you take a screenshot with the same window in view, paste it into paint or another image editing/viewing program, wiggle that window around, you don't see the effect?

Interesting - so if you take a screenshot with the same window in view, paste it into paint or another image editing/viewing program, wiggle that window around, you don't see the effect?

Yup, same exact thing. Darndest thing.

It is a panel quirk related to power going to control horizontal lines. It was very strong on plasma TV's but not all that common on LCDs. Apparently it is visible on yours.
It happens because title bar is black and rest is not and those two colors require different amount of power and because voltage control is not perfect it somehow bleeds to the remaining pixels on the line.

Yup, same exact thing. Darndest thing.
OK so it seems like it's an artifact of the content - black/grey bar of the interface, not necessarily the program itself. This makes sense if it's a hardware issue, which I'm suspecting. I know that when a monitor's LCD is showing black it is applying the most power to those pixels. It seems like it's affecting the voltage of the horizontally adjacent pixels.

Just looking up some more info, this is called "cross talk". In your case, horizontal. This video has a more obvious example.

Check out the test screens here which will exaggerate the issue:
http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html#xtalk

I would try the following things, to see if there's any effect:
- Try adjusting the monitor's contrast / brightness setting (it may be that with a little tweak to the voltages, the artifact will be reduced)
- Try another windows colour mode (in case it's related to video timing)
- Try another windows refresh rate (also in case it's related to video timing)
- Try another machine or video card
- Try another cable or connection type like HDMI instead of DP

It's def the monitor. I plugged in my 34 inch curved monitor and that displays good...no line.

Not likely that there's anything you can do to fix it, but the effect may reduce over time.

Back