Annoying Bootup Problem...soft of

blackedge

Gawd
Hi everyone,

Okay, the problem is annoying, but it's not really a boot up problem. Rather, it's a logging into the system problem.

When I turn the box on, it boots up normally, then it goes into the graphical login, in this case kdm. After logging into the system, it automatically opens x number of Opera browser windows. The reason I say x is that it seems to be random. Yesterday when I was cleaning things out down here, it only opened one. After I shutdown for a few minutes today, and turned it back on, it opened three.

Now, it only seems to do it to my user profile, as I rarely ever log in to root. I have checked root, and it doesn't seem to be doing it (I'm going to doulbe check and perhaps even triple check momentarily).

So, what I'm looking for is suggestions to remedy this situation. I'm running a Gentoo box.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Okay, didn't do it with the root account, and it just dawned on me what the problem may be. Seems to me Opera has a sort of "recovery mode", and I'm wondering if that might not be what's kicking in.

I'm going to look into it and see what I can figure out, but if anyone still has any suggestions, I'm all ear...errrrr....eyes. :)

I'm guessing you've checked your .xinitrc and .xsession files for instances of opera?

I would have checked those files, except that I don't have them! :)

I'm thinking that it's something with Opera itself, so definitely going to look further into that. It's a mere annoyance, thankfully, and nothing worse..

What window manager/desktop environment are you using?

It probably supports some sort of session saving; check inside it's config files/dirs.

Yeah, it does. I was poking around in there after I got done making my last post. It appears that it's doing precisely that. The annoying thing about it though is that when it's brining the sessions back up, it's not bringing up any web pages. Ah well. I'll suffer with it for now, since I don't often reboot or logout of the machine anyway. :)

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question. Using XFree86 and KDE.

KDE has nasty habit of remembering what's running when you shutdown, but it doesn't remember the application's state. I booted up this morning to gaim, firefox, open office and konquorer. All (save gaim) blank... Unclick the save session checkbox when you logout.

i remember when i ran gnome it would remember what i have open and if i don't log out properly it would open x^x of instances of what ever i had left open when i killed X. But since you're running KDE, it could be the same issue, it could be something different or excatly the same thing.

Sounds like it is indeed the same thing. I'll make sure to watch for that checkbox and take care of it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back