Annoyed enough to ask: W10 and horrendous streaming video playback?

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
I've been using it for a long while now...and it is finally ticking me off. What is with Windows 10 and awful streaming video performance on certain sites?

And before you say anything:
-Same LAN/router/modem
-Same ample bandwidth to work with (30 megabit)
-Same website (Eurosportplayer, specifically-they're the only tools left streaming Silverlight BS)
-Same wireless connection
-Same video quality selection
-Same (if not similar browsers)

Windows 10 rig is my sig rig in this test (i7 and GTX 980 with latest drivers every time I've tried)
Windows 7 rig is a cheapo Lenovo laptop with I think an i3 and integrated graphics

Windows 7 will play Microsoft Silverlight video just fine. Windows 10 will not.

I've tried Opera, Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox....the trend is the same. W10 is unusable, video seems to buffer/freeze every 3-10 seconds (varying on browser) for 3-5 seconds. Windows 7 plays it fine-all browsers. Shoot my sig rig played Silverlight Eurosport fine before switching to W10. Anyone know how to fix this, from what I've read it has been an issue on W10 from Day 1 of RTM?

Your machine hates Windows 10, simple, you should listen to it.

/me ducks and covers... :D

Looking at your sig you're using... Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Well there you go, it's not really a "multimedia friendly" OS to be perfectly honest, and out of the box it's not designed for such purposes as people seem to think just because they can use it and they can strip it down a bit in terms of the privacy issues and some others.

I'd make an image of that installation, install Windows 10 Pro (or Basic) and see if things are exactly the same on the exact same hardware - I'm willing to bet $1 (Mortimer brothers be damned) that you'll have somewhat better performance with streaming.

Your machine hates Windows 10, simple, you should listen to it.

/me ducks and covers... :D

Looking at your sig you're using... Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Well there you go, it's not really a "multimedia friendly" OS to be perfectly honest, and out of the box it's not designed for such purposes as people seem to think just because they can use it and they can strip it down a bit in terms of the privacy issues and some others.

I'd make an image of that installation, install Windows 10 Pro (or Basic) and see if things are exactly the same on the exact same hardware - I'm willing to bet $1 (Mortimer brothers be damned) that you'll have somewhat better performance with streaming.

Thought about it, but my issues people have been griping about consumer Windows 10 streaming media performance since Day 1 RTM. Netflix especially.

Further YouTube plays 1080 HD content fine, and it games fine. Silverlight is the one tard in the room.

Haven't had any complaints so far from a few hundred clients I've done the Windows 10 free upgrade for over the past 11 months since release, a lot of them are definitely Netflix subscribers as I end up setting that up for them as well (Silverlight notwithstanding but Netflix will stop using that soon enough). Not sure what else to suggest given the setup, I don't use the OS personally (well established fact around these parts) so maybe someone else might have something to offer.

Back