Animated "Diablo" Series Coming to Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Blizzard’s classic hack-and-slash dungeon crawler is coming to Netflix: BOOM! Studios founder and Hellboy-reboot screenwriter Andy Cosby announced this week he was in “final talks” to write and show-run an animated series based on Diablo. “It’s very exciting and I hope to the High Heavens it all works out.”

Cosby previously replied to a fan question that inquired as to whether he was involved with Netflix’s then-rumored “Diablo” show, who he had told to check back with him in the future. Unfortunately, the confirmatory tweet has since been deleted, hinting that this was news that likely will be announced in an official capacity at some point in the future.

Interesting!!! Let me know if it's good, and might sign up for Netflix again!

I really hope the atmosphere is based on the first one but sadly I think the second lends itself better towards a TV series.

I liked the claustrophobic, random dungeons that gradually got harder and visually more appealing as you went lower, D1 also surprisingly had a lot of story written for it but I don't think Blizzard released much.

it needs to be gory and horror like. dead space was kinda like that. they should also include the diablo 2 music for background theme as well to build the spooky atmosphere as the adventurers delve into the labyrinth.

I really hope the atmosphere is based on the first one but sadly I think the second lends itself better towards a TV series.

I liked the claustrophobic, random dungeons that gradually got harder and visually more appealing as you went lower, D1 also surprisingly had a lot of story written for it but I don't think Blizzard released much.

it needs to be gory and horror like. dead space was kinda like that. they should also include the diablo 2 music for background theme as well to build the spooky atmosphere as the adventurers delve into the labyrinth.
Don't worry, knowing Blizzard, it will be based on a toned-down Diablo 3 full of cliched writing and comic book poses.

Is anyone else not ammused that anytime somebody posts a news article about diablo now days they almost always use artwork from diablo 2 (which is still the best of the 3 games in my humble opinion). For diablo! :)

soooooooo the saturday morning cartoons of my youth? i might be okay with that....
peet-cooper-d3-logo1.jpg

Is anyone else not ammused that anytime somebody posts a news article about diablo now days they almost always use artwork from diablo 2 (which is still the best of the 3 games in my humble opinion). For diablo! :)
Nah, they use Diablo 1 too:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-netflix-cartoon

Hope it competes with Berserk in the gore cateGORY :D

Better be some cow jokes in it... maybe a throwback to the "secret area" in the house between Pepin and Wirt. I forget the name of the guy who created that but he did a ton of pixel art and stuff for it and some kind of swiss army weapon thing and some other stuff, lol.

I think it really could be good. There's a lot of material to work with from just D1 and D2 + LoD.

Think, you could have it not a single person, but a party dynamic.

Fighter/Barbarian + Mage/Necromancer + Amazon.

I'll be sure to watch at least 1 or 2 episodes when it comes out and give it a try.

Please let it have graphics like the game Trailers. While story telling and game play is not Blizzard's strong suit, their 3D graphic/animation is top tier.

<Leaked Script>
Staaay awhile and listen...
Oh, Grandpa stop with your crazy stories about demons. Hey you look like an adventurer, some skeletons have been attacking the town, would you mind killing some of them for us?

If you ever played Diablo 1 on a LAN with some friends, there was always that one guy ....

Deep in a dank, dark tomb, with guitar music that sounds suspiciously like Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There

Rogue: "You know, Sir Hunnybumper, I don't mean to be a dick, but why are you always the one running around scooping up treasure when the rest of us are killings the mobs?"

Last edited:
As long as it doesn't look like it was put into the Gumball-verse, I think I'll only need one case of beer to get through the shitshow it'll probably be.

If it gets the Gumball treatment, Blizzard deserves to get kicked in the nards.

I liked the Netflix Castlevania series, but it was way too short.
Yeah my hope is the Diablo series has similar feel and quality.
I don't think Netflix had much confidence in Castlevania and only commissioned a short series. My understanding was another season is scheduled.

I wonder how much it's success or failure will affect Diablo quality/length?

I'd watch the cut scenes from diablo 1 and 2 happily! I still can picture a hooded deckard cane crossing a wind swept desert.

Netflix is acting with alot of unearned arrogance about taking over existing IP. I'd refer you its production of both new arrested development seasons. The death note catastrophe. The Godzilla that was somehow worse then the legendary Mathew Broderick version. Etc.

I'd watch the cut scenes from diablo 1 and 2 happily! I still can picture a hooded deckard cane crossing a wind swept desert.

Netflix is acting with alot of unearned arrogance about taking over existing IP. I'd refer you its production of both new arrested development seasons. The death note catastrophe. The Godzilla that was somehow worse then the legendary Mathew Broderick version. Etc.
These are important points. I didn't like the new season of Arrested Developement.

Are you talking about the animated Godzilla? I didn't watch Part 2, it was pretty bad. It looked like a very low budget creation anyways. It released while I was in japan and they unsurprisingly loved it there.

Netflix is filling out their catalog, much like when they shifted from media to streaming it took a while but before long Netflix will probably be a two part streaming service; Netflix Catalog and/or everything else. I'd like to see numbers to see how well Netflix is doing in competition with the other big streaming services.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic on this one. They did a good job with the Castlevania series I think and I've been eagerly awaiting Season 2 of that.

Diablo has some great lore, and if Blizzard is letting them have full access to that, we may be in for a treat.

So... new Diablo expansions? Nah, nobody at Bliz got time for that. Release D3 on Switch? Hell yeah, that will make a fortune!

Now there's a damn cartoon coming out about it? Whut.....

Back