“Anemic” iPhone 8 Demand Drags Apple Shares Lower

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Signs of poor demand for the iPhone 8 fueled more questions on Thursday over Apple’s strategy of releasing two phones within months of each other in 2017, sending its shares almost 3 percent lower. The chief executive of Canada’s largest mobile network Rogers Communication said appetite for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus had been “anemic,” adding to a series of hints that sales had been poor ahead of the iPhone X launch on Nov. 3.

KeyBanc Capital Markets analyst John Vinh reported this week that a carrier store survey suggested the cheaper iPhone 7 was outselling its successor just a month after iPhone 8’s launch - boding ill for a brand that normally has fans queuing for the latest upgrade. Rogers Communications chief Joe Natale said anticipation was high for the iPhone X but also noted that inventory would be limited and that - at Apple’s starting price of $999 - it was an expensive device.

How eat a bag a dicks as a company

1) tell consumers of a better product just around the corner
2) sell expensive product with no features instead
3) sell shitty product in an over leveraged economy
4) not realize market is saturated

It's pretty simple I think -- after 10 years of coasting on the same damn phone/idea, most people don't want or don't care about the latest apple gadget that does less for more money. They've gotten how many generations of sales out of the same people? You can only shove so much bullshit down a sheeps throat before it falls over and dies.

Come up with something new Apple -- it's been 10 years. They've been playing it safe ever since their messiah kicked the bucket, when you are sitting on as much cash as they are, you can afford to have some pretty wild ideas/projects that might change the world again.

*shrugs* many of us grew up in the past 10 years and realized that there are way more important things than spending a ton of money on a phone that will be obsolete in a year. At this point all I care is that it makes calls and has a decent battery life.

It's pretty simple I think -- after 10 years of coasting on the same damn phone/idea, most people don't want or don't care about the latest apple gadget that does less for more money. They've gotten how many generations of sales out of the same people? You can only shove so much bullshit down a sheeps throat before it falls over and dies.

Come up with something new Apple -- it's been 10 years. They've been playing it safe ever since their messiah kicked the bucket, when you are sitting on as much cash as they are, you can afford to have some pretty wild ideas/projects that might change the world again.

*shrugs* many of us grew up in the past 10 years and realized that there are way more important things than spending a ton of money on a phone that will be obsolete in a year. At this point all I care is that it makes calls and has a decent battery life.
How is it doing less?

I have no idea what they were thinking, two new models this close together. And OF COURSE the real hardcore fanbois will go for the X and totally skip the 8. Even the most ardent fans who MUST have the latest on day 1 aren;t so stupid as to buy an 8 and then buy a X a month later.
Meanwhile, I should take advantage and hop on a 7 - except my 5S is still working perfectly fine even with the newest iOS. No battery life issues, no performance issues.

How is it doing less?

taking away the fingerprint scanner and going to FaceID... bad move

Selfie generation or not, fingerprint unlock worked, and worked very well in any and all situations. Last thing I want to have to do is whip the phone up to my face in a meeting to get it to unlock. I can't imagine sitting on a business meeting and needing to get to something on my phone and having to announce my doucheness via face unlock.

I've been spoiled by my 6P with it's fingerprint scanner in the perfect spot on the back of the phone, the instant I pick it up it's unlocked and good to go.

People seem to finally be waking up to the harsh light of reality, that Hollywood, Apple, Google, Facebook, our crappy Video Game industry.....it's nothing but marketing and manipulation. Absolutely nothing but arrogant people bragging about how easily the sheep are herded. Suddenly everyone seems to be going "wait a minute, why do I even WANT that thing?". Why do you want to spend your money on the same thing? Because people get rich when you keep buying. Save your money? HOW DARE YOU! YOU NEED DEBT TO BE LEVERAGED AGAINST YOU! YOU NEED THESE THINGS, LOSER!

I'm not sure it will last, and there will always be a new Tickle Me Elmo to go crazy over.....but I think Marketing and Manipulation have finally, FINALLY gone "a bridge too far" and it's painfully obvious now how badly we are pandered to, cajoled, shamed...just to get a predictable response out of us. Put on the Glasses. PUT ON THE GLASSES!
They-Live.jpg

...however I do freely admit the minute they offer me the sell-out package I'm totally taking the tux and the watch. I'm flawed, what can I say.

Wow I dont keep up with the iPhone craze but I can't believe they got rid of the fingerprint scanner that is such a horrible move...

As for the headphone jack that is one thing I'm glad there starting a trend on! Everything I use is Bluetooth and I would trade the headphone jack in my note 8 for a second speaker in an instant

Last edited:
Funny, for the first time ever I would actually consider an Apple phone (The X). I've been pretty anti Apple over the years, but lately Google and Android has been pissing me off. It's just that price, holy hell, when phones between $800-$900 here in Canada are starting to be considered the "mainstream" (S7, G6, etc) .. fuck that. That X, when it arrives is going to be $1300+.

I'm not upgrading, my iPhone 7 Plus still works just fine. And since iOS 11 works just fine on it I have no need to upgrade to the new iPhone. Maybe next year when there's actually something worthwhile to get.

If more people are buying the 7, and the profit margin is greater, who cares how the 8 sells.

With the X, I think apple has created something people want to buy just to be different.
Apple users don't care about the $200 premium. They're already been overpaying all these years.

I wouldn't be oversly surprised if sales of the 8 actually go up after the X hits. The reality of that $1k price tag and supply constraints might cause some people to rethink their priorities.

At some point, they will stop manufacturing the 7. They tend to have a "low end", middle, and high end product. When the X comes out, I think (in order) this will be SE, 8, and X.
I work with a lot of people that use iPhones. Everyone is waiting on the X - no on is interested in the 8. We did get an 8 for software development - it's basically just a 7 (with faster processor, wireless charging, and I think slightly better camera.) . When using iOS11 on a 7 vs 8 - I haven't see a difference at all. Thought I read the 8 has already had a price drop in China do to poor sales.
Watching AAPL. It might not be pretty next quarter.

I wouldn't be oversly surprised if sales of the 8 actually go up after the X hits. The reality of that $1k price tag and supply constraints might cause some people to rethink their priorities.

People seem to finally be waking up to the harsh light of reality, that Hollywood, Apple, Google, Facebook, our crappy Video Game industry.....it's nothing but marketing and manipulation. Absolutely nothing but arrogant people bragging about how easily the sheep are herded. Suddenly everyone seems to be going "wait a minute, why do I even WANT that thing?". Why do you want to spend your money on the same thing? Because people get rich when you keep buying. Save your money? HOW DARE YOU! YOU NEED DEBT TO BE LEVERAGED AGAINST YOU! YOU NEED THESE THINGS, LOSER!

I'm not sure it will last, and there will always be a new Tickle Me Elmo to go crazy over.....but I think Marketing and Manipulation have finally, FINALLY gone "a bridge too far" and it's painfully obvious now how badly we are pandered to, cajoled, shamed...just to get a predictable response out of us. Put on the Glasses. PUT ON THE GLASSES!

...however I do freely admit the minute they offer me the sell-out package I'm totally taking the tux and the watch. I'm flawed, what can I say.

Do you really think that in the span of 1 year humans just suddenly became smarter? I don't. What is going on here is mostly that apple has this other product and large amounts of people are waiting for it. Apple users for so many reasons want the latest apple offers. In 10000 years humans will never become less susceptible to marketing and psychology, that you can count on.

I don't remember anyone saying the s8/s8+ sales were low because of the note 8 that was coming.

Because they weren't lol.

Not sure where Apple is going with the facial recognition, they developed software way beyond that in animating your facial expressions. To me it looks like you maybe in the future can create an Avatar using your face (creature, yourself or whatever) and be able to animate it for social networking. Hell maybe Apple will marry iOS to social networking and compete against Farcebook. Performance will continue to improve on the small scale, what Apple is going to do with that is another thing. Apple does do a lot of grooming in other words the flock.

The design and usefulness of the device hasn't changed since the iPhone 6. Even my wife, who loves her phone, can't justify upgrading.

Hi All
If Apples shares are truly down, they'll rebound once the iPhone X is released.

Everybody is just waiting to buy the X at $1000 a pop.

Apple is going to have $4 trillion in cash reserves by the end of next year.

On the plus side, these $1k flagship phones with zero features will create a healthy market for cheap fully featured tier 2 phones.

Wow I dont keep up with the iPhone craze but I can't believe they got rid of the fingerprint scanner that is such a horrible move...

As for the headphone jack that is one thing I'm glad there starting a trend on! Everything I use is Bluetooth and I would trade the headphone jack in my note 8 for a second speaker in an instant

I have a 6p. It comes with a headphone jack and stereo speakers. You can have both.

The iPhone is no longer a status symbol now that everyone else has one.
For a while have the latest model gave you more creed, but even that doesn't matter to most people any more.
It's just another smart phone that's more expensive than many other phones.

The main reasons I see for someone at the office getting a new iPhone is because their old only broke or got lost.
Main reason they stay with an iPhone is due to the apps/music investment, or they just want to stick with what they already know.

It's rare that I see someone come in with the just released new model and ask for help connecting it to email.

That's fair enough of course, and I'm sure there are plenty like you who have bluetooth-everything, but the fact is that many, many people would rather use wired headphones to avoid issues with battery as well as being unwilling to tolerate the loss in sound quality.

Back