Android + Wi-Fi + Static IP = Help Me

tarxsix

n00b
Hello,

I've got a LG EVE and just won a Archos 7 at the office party :)

I've been trying to connect them both to my home network without success.
I added the MAC's and static IP's to my router table and the MAC's to the filter table.
I then setup the static IP info in the Android's. After I have tried to connect in 2 ways.
1st I selected my network from the list, entered the key, tried to connect.
2nd I tried to 'add a wi-fi network'.

But when it tries to connect, it always tries to 'obtain' an address. I'm taking that's DHCP, but I have the static IP checked, setup and put it in the router. What am I doing wrong??? I have the same problem with both Androids.....

Best regards,
Tar.

helps with: keeping track of devices, troubleshooting, security/ports

anyone know how to help me?

i used to do that, then it became a hassle like now, and i realized i was being paranoid and would be better off letting DHCP handle things...now life is less stressful

Are you including the correct hardware address for the wireless radio is each device? The address will be different for 3g and wireless.

Tark.

yup, using the correct mac's

I got the phone working. My provider finally released a update. So after upgrading from Android 1.6 to 2.1, the static IP works.

I sent a email to Archos, waiting on a reply.

Got a reply from Archos...

"This unit will not be able to connect by that method." nothing more, just that one line.

Interesting, considering their FAQ even recommends to use static IP's in some cases.
I also explained the fix with my phone. I know the Archos 7 can not have Android 2, but they could at lease look into whatever fixed the issue and if it could be patched. You would think a static IP would work on what is mostly a network toy....

Back