Android Wear Getting Cellular Support, New Wrist Gestures, And Audio Feedback

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It looks like we’re slowly but surely getting to the point where you could leave your smartphone at home.

Audio Feedback will allow owners of a smartwatch with a microphone and speaker to place and receive calls, something only the Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE is currently capable of. Another device, the Huawei Watch, is also reported to feature a speaker. Once the device receives this future update to Android Wear 1.4, folks will likely be able to utilize it. Not only would you be able to take and place calls, but Audio Feedback will also read the time and notification cards when you are too busy to look down.

I've probably tried almost every smart watch (I work in mobile app development - so this is part of my job) - Android Wear, Samsung, Apple, etc. I have not found a watch that I can't live without yet.
The fitness/heart rate trackers are nice enough. Seeing who's calling at a quick glance - nice. None of these are killer features to me.
Making phone calls? No - bad idea. I hate speaker phones. No privacy at all.
Answering emails on one of these? Voice dictation is just ok.

I guess if this totally replaced my phone, I wouldn't have to worry about charging another device. I'd also hope the battery life can be improved. I would want to make it an entire day without needing to recharge. Add in cell radio - the current watches would likely struggle with the extra power requirements.

I'm addicted to my Moto360 (Gen 2). I've accidentally left the house without and felt naked and out of touch. Guess I am "that guy". :D

I've been wearing my Moto360 since it's launch last summer, never leave home without it.

Battery life has dramatically improved since the beginning; two hours of driving to work and back each day and an eight hour shift, I arrive back at home with 60%+ of battery life.

I run ARUnchained in my carputer (HTC One M8 + Pioneer NEX-4000) and use my watch to control everything from Spotify to Google Maps.

Best part is I can still monitor all of my traffic without looking like a dickhead with my phone out at the dinner table with friends.

Shit's cash.

Back