Android Phones Log Everything You Do

Sure, both droid and ios do it... but with droid, I'm a few clicks, touches, memory card swaps, and a restart away from whatever the hell I want on my phone. Such as CM7.[/SIZE]
You're right, with an iOS device you get to cut out everything after the clicking part.
Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Don't Send

the answer?

root, xda, flash a dev rom with CIQ removed or disabled.

problem solved.

Another reason why I love CM7 on my DI. As if the blazing fast (relative to stock) speed wasn't enough.

& still they can't find all the U.S. tax-dodge money in the Swiss banking system?

meh

Did anyone actually watch the video?

It does not matter if you are rooted. It does not matter if you can not see this in the OS. This program is not specific to Android. This program is rooted and has its own access. It works without a mobile connection.

Read more:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/secret-software-logging-video/

Forbes is picking this up. This is the real deal.

My post was mainly to see if anyone knew what the app/service was called for my situation. Of course I guess it would've helped to say I was on Verizon. I looked through the all apps, there wasn't any CIQ/IQxxx but I did find "datacollector" which could be just as much.

as anti constitutional, criminal, outrageous as this is.. truth is.. I suspect.. there is zero expectation of any privacy, any where, at any time, in any communication left in this world.. on any communication system.. phones, internet, etc...

if it was apple doing it it would be to sell your info to some other company for profit if its android doing it its probably to personalize stuff better etc either way I got nothing to hide so could not care less

With the sophisticated kinds of mining software today and market for search information trends, someone or someones are making a fortune over in that company, they'd be fools not too. I hope this strikes a nerve in the public consciousness and legislation is eventually passed to prevent this from continuing. The very least I hope people become aware and take steps to protect themselves like they do with anti virus software and etc.

Most custom ROMS have this too. Its not simple to remove, apparently it actually requires some custom Kernel's. If you just flash a ROM you arent doing anything to remove it.

Should be fun to see how this blows up in the next week.

if it was apple doing it it would be to sell your info to some other company for profit if its android doing it its probably to personalize stuff better etc either way I got nothing to hide so could not care less

Keep drinking the Android koolaid. I swear Android fans are the biggest bunch of hypocrits outside of Congress.

I still haven't found any instruction how to disable or get rid of it.
Anybody?

the answer?

root, xda, flash a dev rom with CIQ removed or disabled.

problem solved.

this is going to be sad to admit but I can build networks fix or build servers and PCs and high end graphic PCs but as far as phones go I don't mess with them. I just call and text that's it. Just got my first smart phone this year...I am so far behind on phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy sII Epic 4G touch Android phone by Sprint so where would I start to learn how to root my phone then flashing it with a new ROM and where would I go to get a new ROM. I am sure I can figure it out just don't want to mess up my phone on the first try.

As I mentioned in another CarrierIQ thread.

The real fear with this 3rd party company rootkitting the phone is not simply about privacy. If I was a nefarious criminal hacker, I'd be jumping with joy that some stupid corporate has already done the hard part of my job and hacked the millions of phones out there. All I'd have to to is either intercept/redirect the logged data, or hack the aggregation points to which the data is sent/stored. Then every blackmailable sexting cheating-husband text message, every bank/credit account login password, every phone number, every notes detail you have entered on contacts, etc, etc is available to me to do my nefarious deeds.

Now that this info has leaked, you can be sure that all the smart bad guys are going to try and get/intercept this logging data somehow. CarrierIQ has just painted a big ass bullseye on their networks for every criminal hacker who understands the amount, quality, and how valuable (for bad deeds) this information this program has been logging. This piece of shit software has been logging every freaking keystroke... Most people's "lives" pass through their phone. Guess what, bad guys want their life's story.

For a criminal "organizaton" knowledge is more powerful than pure money. If I was a group like anonymous, I would be redirecting all my particiapants to hack CarrierIQ logging info somehow. Why? because besides the pure financial criminology, bank password,etc. You also get people's life information. For example if I was a hacker: Senator XXX has been sexting his hooker girlfriend and passing inside trader information to his buddies (you know this happens IRL). I would simply call Senator XXX on his secure phone number (which we now have) and say " Hey Mr Senator, your notes say your wife's birthday is April XXX, and your buddy Tom was given information you're not supposed to be spreading. if you attempt to pass xxx bill (or something similar) that affects my people negatively, I'm gonna e-mail your wife your year's worth of sexting messages and the attorney general about your insider trading. And by the way, I helped myself to 10 grand out of your petty cash account because it'll be cheaper for you to stay quiet about it, than have your wife take 1/2 of it and defense against insider trading prosecutionis pretty expensive."

While the CIQ may be easy to remove, the majority of users are not even aware of it going on to such an extent, nor will be removing it anytime soon which is a big window of opportunity for bad guys..

as anti constitutional, criminal, outrageous as this is.. truth is.. I suspect.. there is zero expectation of any privacy, any where, at any time, in any communication left in this world.. on any communication system.. phones, internet, etc...
I carry two tin cans with a really large ball of twine, myself.

pulled from xda, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17612559#post17612559

you can install the app and check for ciq. looks like its mostly Sprint and HTC phones. Tmobile too
if you run cyanogenmod or AOSP based roms you should be fine.

not running ciq
All Verizon phones
All Nokia handsets
All Windows Phones
All Vodafone Phones
All O2 Phones
Google Nexus phones (Google Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus)
Original Xoom

pulled from xda, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17612559#post17612559

you can install the app and check for ciq. looks like its mostly Sprint and HTC phones. Tmobile too
if you run cyanogenmod or AOSP based roms you should be fine.

not running ciq
All Verizon phones
All Nokia handsets
All Windows Phones
All Vodafone Phones
All O2 Phones
Google Nexus phones (Google Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus)
Original Xoom
Not surprising that shitty little carriers use this horseshit to make up revenues to better compete with the big guys.

You get what you pay for...

The best part about this isn't that this horseshit was exposed. It was how Carrier IQ handled it. Slap Trevor with a C&D and hope he gets scared. Instead he gets the EFF involved and bitch slaps them back making it twice as bad for CIQ.

Stuff like that makes me laugh. :D

You're right, with an iOS device you get to cut out everything after the clicking part.
Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Don't Send

Clearly you have chosen not to read the many many stories about iOS's tracking...SJRDF still working after his death.

this is going to be sad to admit but I can build networks fix or build servers and PCs and high end graphic PCs but as far as phones go I don't mess with them. I just call and text that's it. Just got my first smart phone this year...I am so far behind on phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy sII Epic 4G touch Android phone by Sprint so where would I start to learn how to root my phone then flashing it with a new ROM and where would I go to get a new ROM. I am sure I can figure it out just don't want to mess up my phone on the first try.

xda forums. i had done some windows mobile phones but never android. man it was so easy and i swear the thing was finished installing in less than a minute :D

Why is anyone suprised? You got the OS for free, and the phone at a discounted rate. how do you think it is actually paid for? They sell your info to advertisers and the like.

I guess if you did i like a PC and paid $800 for the hardware and another fee for the OS plus the other softwares to run the phone you could complain, but there is no free lunch.

Why is anyone suprised? You got the OS for free, and the phone at a discounted rate. how do you think it is actually paid for? They sell your info to advertisers and the like.

I guess if you did i like a PC and paid $800 for the hardware and another fee for the OS plus the other softwares to run the phone you could complain, but there is no free lunch.

Someone doesn't know how a subsidized phone plan works. :rolleyes:

In what has become something of a tradition when issues of mobile security pop up, U.S. Senator Al Franken has issued a stern and detailed request to the phone-tracking software-maker Carrier IQ.

In the letter, Franken asks Carrier IQ and its CEO Larry Lenhart exactly what data Carrier IQ is logging, whether it keeps the data, if and how it transmits it to third parties like carriers and how it stores it if it does.
http://yosgof.visibli.com/share/jg3a9G

Someone doesn't know how a subsidized phone plan works. :rolleyes:
Eh, he does have a point here. Yes, carriers subsidize the cost of hardware by making customers sign contracts...but Google offers Android for free to anyone who wants it. The only way for them to make money is to collect information and better refine search results in order to increase the cost of their advertising. There's no other way for them to do it.

For the topic at hand, however, this is simply OEMs/Carriers taking advantage of the open source environment of Android by replicating Google's model in order for them to increase revenue. The fact that T-Mo and Sprint use this doesn't surprise me at all...they are the cheapest carriers yet their costs are no different than Verizon's or ATT's. Their revenue has to come from somewhere.

In what has become something of a tradition when issues of mobile security pop up, U.S. Senator Al Franken has issued a stern and detailed request to the phone-tracking software-maker Carrier IQ.

In the letter, Franken asks Carrier IQ and its CEO Larry Lenhart exactly what data Carrier IQ is logging, whether it keeps the data, if and how it transmits it to third parties like carriers and how it stores it if it does.
http://yosgof.visibli.com/share/jg3a9G

Can't wait to read the response.

Why does this still have the sensationalist headline? It's a carrier issue, not an Android one meaning it's not on ALL Android devices and it's present on almost every other mobile OS as well.

I wonder what they use in its place. I don't trust Verizon much...

No clue. If they use something like this it will only be a matter of days till it's discovered at this point though. I have a feeling they're probably clean since they've already said they don't use CIQ. Would only hurt them to say they don't use CIQ and have it found out they use something else that does the same. They'd get doubly crucified by users and media.

Why does this still have the sensationalist headline? It's a carrier issue, not an Android one meaning it's not on ALL Android devices and it's present on almost every other mobile OS as well.

This is a good point. Thanks to our amazing Android devs, they made this an easy way to show if its running on your Android phone. Thread should be titled, ciq enabled phones/carriers log everything you do.

I've used android since the very first phone, and this always, ALWAYS was in the back of my head.

Important things I always noticed on android:

the default android app called "My Uploads" always pops up randomly on the phone, yet nobody can give me a clear answer for this app on the ENTIRE WEB! It's fishy... it opens up EXACTLY when you hang up or send a text... odd? I think so, yet nobody else seems to care on the entire web. It's just fishy and I CANNOT DISABLE IT! Google it, and you will see my posts on random forums 2 years ago, yet nobody seems to know what it is..... and this has been on android since the first phone, the G1 (android 1.0)

Also, with my newer Nexus S phone... the Google MAPS app is now constantly trying to stay open, even if I close it with the (now included in android) task manager. I close it, close it in background, and it still pops up. And to top it off, I still get MY UPLOADS sometimes when closing the maps app....... fishy fishy.

I was never going to root, but more and more of this crap and I am going to root 24/7 and recommend everyone else do the same, if they are doing some dirty "tracking" and we all don't even know.

Eh, he does have a point here. Yes, carriers subsidize the cost of hardware by making customers sign contracts...but Google offers Android for free to anyone who wants it. The only way for them to make money is to collect information and better refine search results in order to increase the cost of their advertising. There's no other way for them to do it.

I've bolded the contradicting parts. They make money off of your contract, all without CIQ. Google doesn't install CIQ, the carriers do, so google isn't playing a part in this scenario.

I've bolded the contradicting parts. They make money off of your contract, all without CIQ. Google doesn't install CIQ, the carriers do, so google isn't playing a part in this scenario.
I didn't say Google loaded CIQ - I stated that in order for GOOGLE to make money, they gain all of the information they could ever need on you by just looking at what you search for and using that data to refine results for advertising, thus making their ads more expensive than elsewhere as well as having a huge audience.

Read the paragraph below that for the explanation of CIQ.

Also, with my newer Nexus S phone... the Google MAPS app is now constantly trying to stay open, even if I close it with the (now included in android) task manager. I close it, close it in background, and it still pops up. And to top it off, I still get MY UPLOADS sometimes when closing the maps app....... fishy fishy.

I was never going to root, but more and more of this crap and I am going to root 24/7 and recommend everyone else do the same, if they are doing some dirty "tracking" and we all don't even know.

I think ever since either 1.6 or 2.1 Google Maps is always running as a background service, whether or not you have GPS and Wi-Fi locating services turned off.

My wife had a Samsung Transform that is just used like a PDA (she ended up cancelling her Sprint service), and the first thing I did was to install both a custom kernel and rom to remove the CarrierIQ and Sprint Android Extension services.

Back