Android P May Be Released On March 14th

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
BGR is speculating that Google will likely release Android P later this month. Both Android N and Android O were released in March for developer preview, and according to the article. Since Google likes to be a bit clever, and Android P is rumored to have "pie" in the name, the speculation is that Android P will release on "Pi Day" or 3/14/18. Gadget leaker Evan Blass is also stating that Google is eyeing a mod-month release of the Android P Developer Preview.

While new features look nice, and the whole "Pi Day" thing is fun, I'm wondering who this will be for exactly? According to Android Developer Dashboard, Android Oreo 8.0 accounts for 0.8% of Android devices, and 8.1 comes in at 0.3%. Instead of new releases, how about we get some manufacturers to adopt the ones we have now instead of 12% of people still using KitKat.

Late last week, a series of reports hinted at various new features that Android P might support, including iris scanners and ways to block calls from unknown or hidden phone numbers. On top of that, we’ve also got confirmation that OEMs are already testing Android P with Google, with Huawei being specifically singled out as one of the companies that has had access to Android P for the past few months. Google last week also announced that unofficial APIs that may still work on Android will not be available for app development anymore.

Yea, my S7 still has Nougat....

I just stopped getting excited about android releases. I do wish manufacturers would get on board with moving updates out faster.

Edit: Corrected version

Last edited:
ways to block calls from unknown or hidden phone numbers.
Not that I expect my current phone to ever get this update but if it does this will be the one must-have feature for me. Because I kept my phone number from a prior location I get tons of calls from scammers/political crap/wrong numbers from that region of the country. Meanwhile I don't get any of that from where I actually live... Being able to block all numbers from that area code that aren't in my contacts list would save me the hassle of finding my phone and tapping Ignore several times a week.

It's basically for only Pixel owners and for other people who want to see what their next phone might get at some point.

While new features look nice, and the whole "Pi Day" thing is fun, I'm wondering who this will be for exactly? According to Android Developer Dashboard, Android Oreo 8.0 accounts for 0.8% of Android devices, and 8.1 comes in at 0.3%. Instead of new releases, how about we get some manufacturers to adopt the ones we have now instead of 12% of people still using KitKat.

Give them a replaceable battery and OS security updates and you remove all reason for replacement. It's the same reason Apples new phones aren't selling. Not enough innovation for the money.

LOL without an unlocked boot loader, cell phones are like cars. You are stuck with the first OS release for it and maybe a bug fix 6-12 months after that.

On that note, i wonder how happy those people will be that bought cars just for android auto or apply carplay, when the finally pay off there 60-72 month loan. Or worse, those who bought the car just before the "refresh" so you end up with phone integration software that is 8-9 years old.

My biggest gripe with the Android platform is fragmentation. Most devices are not supported for more than a release or two. I know the vendor ties you down sometimes (aka Samsung).

At the end of the day, unless bigger manufacturers like Samsung decide to allow a more streamline implementation of clean version of Android (or get rid of Touchwiz, ha!), fragmentation will always be an issue. Some people I know are used to Touchwiz features and don't necessarily care about 'updating', they install a bunch of apps, and then wonder why their experience gets so bad because their phone is so bloated.

Didn't think I'd need an upgrade after my Pixel 1, but I'm very happy with my Pixel 2 and the latest releases. So clean and very fast.

Back