Android O Details Begin Trickling In

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Assuming that Google is following their Nougat playbook from last year, the next version of Android should be rearing its head very soon, and we finally have some details on what “Oreo” might bring. The newest Android OS is supposedly taking a page out of iOS with app icon badges, which means you will be able to see how many notifications you have for any app right on the home screen—nothing earth-shattering, but long warranted. Other things include PIP for Android TV and a Chrome 57-like feature that will throttle power consumption of background tabs.

…Google has yet to make a peep about the release. Sure, Android’s SVP Hiroshi Lockheimer has teased the Oreo name, but while it’s a likely name candidate, that doesn’t exactly tell us anything about the forthcoming release’s features. Now, we’ve received some info that we’d assign ‘rumor’ status to, and we thought we’d at least share it with you for sake of discussion. According to the information we’ve received, Android O is going to be a substantial update with new notifications, picture-in-picture mode, and more. Google’s software release schedule isn’t exactly a mystery, but last year the company changed things up — after years of I/O debuts — with an early release of the first Android Nougat developer preview in March .

Last edited:
I've been using novalauncher for years, which has had the notification numbers on the home screen icons. Does seem overdo

Let's see that O face.

oface.jpg

Won't they be running into Trademark issues if they call it "Oreo" (or "Skittles")?

Won't they be running into Trademark issues if they call it "Oreo" (or "Skittles")?

I'm pretty sure the candy companies don't mind and likely give them a release.

One of the builds was called "KitKat".

Back