Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

Think he is fawning over a Note 5 at the moment if I read one of his posts in the Note 5 thread correctly.

And by the time this thread gets bumped again in a month, he will already hate the note and will be talking about how excited he is for the new nexus 5. :D

What's Z using these days? I just finished reading through all 18 pages as I was considering getting a 6 Plus since up to 8.4 is JB'able. My current daily driver is an M8.

Z has phone ADHD. Completely serious. I like him but it's tough to read his glowing posts and then read how how changed his mind a week later.

Typing this on my Nexus 6 running 'PURE Nexus ROM' and hell's Core kernel. I average like 5h Screen On time.

Was looking at the Note 5, still sort of am, but only would seriously get one, once ROM's come out for T-Mobile.

But this Nexus I've had for like 9 months. Very satisfied with it. Really nothing released this year yet, that I'm foaming at the mouth for. This Nexus 6 is pretty sweet IMO.

But this fall release of new phones have me interested, like the Sony Z5 only if it has that rumored 4,000mAh battery. And the Hauwei Nexus. Whichever phone has the bigger and best battery life will win me over.

Last edited:
Z has phone ADHD. Completely serious. I like him but it's tough to read his glowing posts and then read how how changed his mind a week later.

It's about the same as asking some baked friends how good the weed is. "It's fucking great man! Try this shit!" /joint gets passed

I find him to be a useful, in-house resource when it comes to comparing to a lot of different devices. If he has the time and money to spend on it, that's less of my own time and money that I have to spend.

I find him to be a useful, in-house resource when it comes to comparing to a lot of different devices. If he has the time and money to spend on it, that's less of my own time and money that I have to spend.

The problem is that he lets his emotions and excitement of having a new phone cloud the facts. I've caught him exaggerating numbers (battery life related usually) at least a few times. You'd be better served watching in-depth reviews on Youtube by people such as Flossy Carter, or Erica the Tech nerd, or MobileTechReview. I still think Anantech still does decent detailed reviews as well, but I'm sure someone will chime in saying otherwise now.

I like Z's smart phone enthusiasm even if it occasionally overwhelms the accuracy of his analysis. As one of the most intense iPhone haters on [H], I give him credit for taking a chance with the 6+, which he still holds in high regard despite returning to Android.

I like Z's smart phone enthusiasm even if it occasionally overwhelms the accuracy of his analysis. As one of the most intense iPhone haters on [H], I give him credit for taking a chance with the 6+, which he still holds in high regard despite returning to Android.

Wish more people had that kind of general enthusiasm for tech. A lot of people are more interested in justifying their irrational brand loyalty (like some Samsung fans we know) than appreciating cool tech wherever it shows up. Many brands make cool stuff, whether it's Samsung, Apple, LG or Motorola... it's just a question of how much they make, and whether they speak to your tastes.

Wish more people had that kind of general enthusiasm for tech. A lot of people are more interested in justifying their irrational brand loyalty (like some Samsung fans we know) than appreciating cool tech wherever it shows up. Many brands make cool stuff, whether it's Samsung, Apple, LG or Motorola... it's just a question of how much they make, and whether they speak to your tastes.

Excellent point. I tried the iPhone 6 Plus with an open mind this past Winter. Even though I am more of an Android guy, I still wanted to give the 6 Plus a fair chance.

And the 6 Plus really is a great phone, the battery life, really surprised me, was the best smartphone I've ever owned for battery life. It was getting like 8h Screen On time. But for me iOS even with JB, still seems lacking, and so little customization, no Widgets on the home screens, no LED Notification. I could never get real comfortable with the phone, so I went back to Android and the Nexus 6, where stock Android has always been my comfort zone, and to my liking.

Only other UI I like is Sense, I think HTC does a nice job with their UI, ever since the One M7, and the One M8 was an amazing device, just too bad the M9 sort of sucks.

The Note 5 ? Hmmm...really not sure yet, I am not a Touchwiz fan whatsoever, but with a good custom ROM, with all the tweaks and optimizations, and themes, then TW can become pretty darn cool. And the S-Pen stuff is nice for work related things.

How some people hold LED notification in such high regard is beyond me. I had an Android phone, and it always took longer for the damn light to flash than it does for me to hit the home button on my iphone to see if I have a message. Screen on time is near instant, waiting for that light is only a few seconds, but its still quicker to hit the button. I can't wait for someone to say that takes a serious toll on the battery to do that every once in a while.

How some people hold LED notification in such high regard is beyond me. I had an Android phone, and it always took longer for the damn light to flash than it does for me to hit the home button on my iphone to see if I have a message. Screen on time is near instant, waiting for that light is only a few seconds, but its still quicker to hit the button. I can't wait for someone to say that takes a serious toll on the battery to do that every once in a while.

Not to mention that the light is becoming less and less necessary. Some Motorola phones show you some notices the moment you pick the device up, for example. And of course, if you have a smartwatch, that LED is completely irrelevant -- you'll know even if you aren't looking at your phone.

I pretty much only like the LED light for charging status. Sometimes cables fail or come loose and stop charging randomly, so it makes it easier to catch. Not a deal breaker by any means though, just nice to have.

Sure, why flash an engine overheat notification on the instrumentation cluster when you can unhide it with user input. Probably the same folks who claim push email isn't needed since you can manually poll for email anytime you want. Best 'I don't have it therefore it's unimportant' apology I've heard yet but in due time they will become educated on [H].

Sure, why flash an engine overheat notification on the instrumentation cluster when you can unhide it with user input.

That requires you to look down at your dash. By your logic the check engine light should flash up via a hud on your windshield.

So, looking down = pushing a button.

Keep grasping at straws and features as to why you blindly believe Android is better.

Unless you suffer from tunnel vision you don't need to look down to see a blinking/glowing LED in your peripheral vision.

As far as battery consumption, if you need low battery warning it's counterproductive to have to wake a phone from low power sleep and turn on the display which is the highest power consuming component when a very low power multifunctional LED indicator will suffice.

Keep apologizing for how profitable a company is because they cheap out leaving out a 50 cent LED component.

Not to mention that the light is becoming less and less necessary. Some Motorola phones show you some notices the moment you pick the device up, for example. And of course, if you have a smartwatch, that LED is completely irrelevant -- you'll know even if you aren't looking at your phone.

You're right and it's even easier for my Moto X (2nd gen). If it is in sleep mode I only have to wave my hand a few inches over the phone, the phone then wakes up and displays my notifications.

Last edited:
Unless you suffer from tunnel vision you don't need to look down to see a blinking/glowing LED in your peripheral vision.

Because the ergonomics of every car is the same, right? In my Ford, I would be able to see it, but in my 911, I wouldn't be able to see the light without making it a point to look down because of how the car is laid out. So, nice try, buckaroo.

As far as battery consumption, if you need low battery warning it's counterproductive to have to wake a phone from low power sleep and turn on the display which is the highest power consuming component when a very low power multifunctional LED indicator will suffice.

I don't need a low battery warning light. Who said they did? I didn't. My battery lasts me more than enough for me to charge it at night and not have to worry during the day.

Keep apologizing for how profitable a company is because they cheap out leaving out a 50 cent LED component.
Why am I, or why would I apologize? Do you feel Samsung, HTC, etc are morally superior to Apple for including a 50 cent LED light? Get a grip.

See red.

I actually have no issue with people who like Android. I don't think, act, or post that I'm morally and intellectually superior than people who use Android like you do with people who use Apple. My problem is with people like you who don't accept that people just don't want an Android phone for one reason or another. I had THREE Android phones. They ALL sucked so much shit I'll never have an Android phone ever again. Having fewer option with Apple is a much better situation for me to be in than piece of shit phones that don't respond to touch input, die by noon when I unplugged it at 530, and whose screens quit working every other day for 20 minutes at a time.

I have a reason to not use Android phones, you have "I think." Big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you mad? This is like having a tech conversation with low testosterone seniors who are still attached to their horse drawn wagon. There's nothing wrong with it but just don't ride it on the freeway at night.

See red.

I actually have no issue with people who like Android. I don't think, act, or post that I'm morally and intellectually superior than people who use Android like you do with people who use Apple. My problem is with people like you who don't accept that people just don't want an Android phone for one reason or another. I had THREE Android phones. They ALL sucked so much shit I'll never have an Android phone ever again. Having fewer option with Apple is a much better situation for me to be in than piece of shit phones that don't respond to touch input, die by noon when I unplugged it at 530, and whose screens quit working every other day for 20 minutes at a time.

I have a reason to not use Android phones, you have "I think." Big difference.

I am curious, which three Android phones did you have ? Possibly you had the shitty ones out at the time. Like the Galaxy S4, or some other crappy phones.

I think Android is pretty good, but there have been a fair share of crap Android phones released over the years. I think Nexus phones or GPE are the only way to go for Android, last years HTC One M8 GPE version, was an outstanding device, it was the beautiful One M8, but running stock Android, supported officially by Google and HTC. To me, that's the one phone to really compete against the iPhone 6 4.7".

Last edited:
I am curious, which three Android phones did you have ? Possibly you had the shitty ones out at the time. Like the Galaxy S4, or some other crappy phones.

I think Android is pretty good, but there have been a fair share of crap Android phones released over the years. I think Nexus phones or GPE are the only way to go for Android.

I was an Android phone whore for the past several years moving between flagship to flagship as sites like XDA, then CTO and Swappa only fed the ease to buy and sell phones.

Last year I had the OnePlus One, LG G3, Moto X, Nexus 6 and Note 4.

The best of the bunch was the Nexus 6. You get used to the size quickly.

I would probably still be using it but found a great deal on an iPhone 6 Plus last January and had originally bought it just to resell but thought I would try it out once I got it and to my surprise it is an excellent phone and after a week I had no desire to go back to Android. You can run, and I do, run Google Apps on the iPhone. ITunes is no longer a prerequisite to use as the only thing I use iTunes for is to make a regular full backup.

I use Google Music, Movies, etc. For my media consumption needs.

Google Maps works excellent on the iPhone and my browser of choice is Mercury Pro.

The only phone that really has my interest at this point, other than the 6s Plus is the Huawei Nexus.

iOS and Android are getting closer and closer so to me it comes down to battery life, ease of use and camera. iPhone 6 Plus is not perfect but if you just want to use the phone with little dicking around with it, the 6 Plus really is a great phone.

Why are you mad? This is like having a tech conversation with low testosterone seniors who are still attached to their horse drawn wagon. There's nothing wrong with it but just don't ride it on the freeway at night.

I'm not mad. I'm astounded that people like you actually think highly of yourself.

I think Android is pretty good, but there have been a fair share of crap Android phones released over the years. I think Nexus phones or GPE are the only way to go for Android, last years HTC One M8 GPE version, was an outstanding device, it was the beautiful One M8, but running stock Android, supported officially by Google and HTC. To me, that's the one phone to really compete against the iPhone 6 4.7".

HTC incredible, which come to find out was just an all around shitty phone. But the other two were the Motoroloas that had the keyboard slide out from underneath the screen. Can't remember what they were called.

HTC incredible, which come to find out was just an all around shitty phone. But the other two were the Motoroloas that had the keyboard slide out from underneath the screen. Can't remember what they were called.

Ok, there ya go. You had three crapola Android phones, which weren't a fair shake at really testing out Android. Those three phones would make me puke too :p

I dare you to find and try an HTC One M8 GPE, which IMO was the best stock Android phone released over the last few years. Or find a Nexus 5 on CL to try out for cheap, or even a Moto X.

LOL knew it. All phones even iPhones were crappy in 2010 and 2011. It wasn't until 2012 that the market had awesome phones like the Note II which is still pretty awesome to this day. Going to miss it when I replace with Note 5.

LOL knew it. All phones even iPhones were crappy in 2010 and 2011. It wasn't until 2012 that the market had awesome phones like the Note II which is still pretty awesome to this day. Going to miss it when I replace with Note 5.

My iphone 3G before those phones was vastly superior to those phones.

You make me want to pile drive my head into the middle of the freeway during rush hour traffic. Therefore, you are now on my ignore list so I don't have to worry about saying anything I shouldn't.

Congratulations, you achieved something only 3 other people on here have ever achieved.

Hopefully you'll also stop private messaging me stupid crap. :D

Oh, even though iOS 7 is a little better than 8 my iPhone 4 was crap but it's going to serve a good purpose as trade-in.

My iphone 3G before those phones was vastly superior to those phones.

The iPhone 3G, was the one iPhone that drove me away and to Android. The 3G was a lag king. My brother also owned the 3G at the time, he also said it would lag, and freeze and lock up a lot. I'm not trying to bash the iPhone, I admit the 3GS was a big update, much speeder and smoother phone than the 3G.

We both left and got an EVO 4G, and was pleasantry surprised of the freedom of Android.

Again I will say, try a Nexus 5 or HTC One M8 GPE, and you will be blown away with how smooth Android is, and nice and minimalist.

The iPhone 3G, was the one iPhone that drove me away and to Android. The 3G was a lag king. My brother also owned the 3G at the time, he also said it would lag, and freeze and lock up a lot. I'm not trying to bash the iPhone, I admit the 3GS was a big update, much speeder and smoother phone than the 3G.

We both left and got an EVO 4G, and was pleasantry surprised of the freedom of Android.

Again I will say, try a Nexus 5 or HTC One M8 GPE, and you will be blown away with how smooth Android is, and nice and minimalist.

We have people at work with Android cells (provided by the company, I think its a Droid Turbo) and none of the people are overly impressed with them. To be fair, they don't really bitch about them either. But, the other morning in our morning meeting my co-workers phone randomly started playing Usher loud as shit.

Everyone but the boss had a pretty good laugh.

We have people at work with Android cells (provided by the company, I think its a Droid Turbo) and none of the people are overly impressed with them. To be fair, they don't really bitch about them either. But, the other morning in our morning meeting my co-workers phone randomly started playing Usher loud as shit.

Everyone but the boss had a pretty good laugh.

Like I said, to give Android a true shake and fair chance, only try stock vanilla Android phones, like the Nexus 5, HTC One M8 GPE, or Moto X. Then get back to me and say it freezes or plays usher music out of nowhere.

Like I said, to give Android a true shake and fair chance, only try stock vanilla Android phones, like the Nexus 5, HTC One M8 GPE, or Moto X. Then get back to me and say it freezes or plays usher music out of nowhere.

Is the Droid Turbo not vanilla Android? If not, whats vanilla android? Thats another thing I didn't care for...every damn phone was different. Any time I get a new iphone its EXACTLY the same.

Is the Droid Turbo not vanilla Android? If not, whats vanilla android? Thats another thing I didn't care for...every damn phone was different. Any time I get a new iphone its EXACTLY the same.

Nexus devices are as Vanilla as you're going to find. Score a cheap Nexus 5, they're cheap as hell now that the new ones are coming out next month.

No wonder you were scarred by Android -- none of those were putting the best foot forward (the Motorolas were likely early Droid models, if you were on Verizon). There's still plenty to complain about in the Android world, but you will find a few shining gems. The modern Motorola in particular is great as an antithesis to the gimmicks and cruft that you see from other major Android OEMs: it adds few features, and those that it does add tend to be useful on a daily basis.

This isn't to say that you should rush to jump back, just that it's possible to get a phone that shows Android's strengths without reminding you of too many weaknesses.

exactly. I was jailbroken for a while there. some of the tweaks are cool but they just aren't worth the risk to me.

It's like you guys can't read or something :/. The only time anyone has gotten hacked or malware is when they went through some shady Chinese store (never install any of that shit TaiG or Pangu try to install) or, like in this case, some shady Chinese source. If you aren't trying to steal paid apps you won't run into this crap.

I just preordered the Moto x pure. I'm coming from a 6+ and can't wait to try android 5.0. I'll post an update when it comes.

Back