Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

For anyone just coming into this thread, here are the cliff notes:

Zorachus will move from the OPO to a new phone before June finishes.

I agree. I'm sure the one plus two will come out and make this jump seem very premature.

The CEO of OnePlus had seemingly confirmed that the next phone is called the OnePlus Two. At the very least that's the code name it's going by at OnePlus. So the abbreviation is OPT or OP2.

But I suspect that the phone would wind up being called OnePlus PlusOne, so it'll wind up with the abbreviation of OPPO. *cough cough Trojan Horse *cough cough

But I digress.

Got my OnePlus One yesterday. I ordered it Tuesday, just regular shipping and it arrived Saturday.

Out of the box, I rooted it immediately, and installed official CM12, and installed my apps I like, and also Xposed with Greenify, and Amplify for battery savings, and of course AdAway and YouTube AdAway.

First impressions;

- Coming from my iPhone 6 for 3 months. Even though both phones have the exact same 5.5" screen size, naked with no case, the OnePlus feels easier and better in the hand, the curved back just rests in the hand better, and the One does feel just a hair smaller for some reason, feels easier to one hand, where the 6 Plus never felt comfortable one handed, like I might drop it. The 6 Plus felt top heavy for some reason, and is just heavier.

- Boeing back on Android for a day now, the back button is a godsend, thank the lord. And with CM12 is nice I can move the software keys around, and I moved the back button to be right in the middle, easier to hit.

- I will admit the Jailbreak lock screen is better, I was using Intelli X lock screen, that had my Calendar, game scores, weather, etc... which was very convenient, and easy access. Wish there was a similar lock screen for Android ?

- Screen quality, the 6 Plus has a sharper nicer display. No question. The 6 Plus screen is the best for 1080p display IMO. I know it's no Note 4 or S6 good, but I'd say it's the best outside of those. The OnePlus Screen is ok.

- Overall usage, the OnePlus just seems faster and easier to pick up and get going. Where the 6 Plus, felt like it took a couple more steps to really get into something, if that makes any sense ? The 6 Plus has this long pause doing certain things, like a 2 or 3 second delay on certain things, not all the time, just some apps, or even the phone, where the OnePlus is just instant, blink of an eye fast.

- I do like Lollipop better than iOS 8, but there are things that iOS does very well and good, just wish it was faster, and had more customization. I do feel the 1GB RAM does slow down the 6 Plus.

- Ambient Display is really cool on Lollipop, I like seeing notifications like that. And the LED Notification light of course has always been great, I think Apple needs to add that to the iPhone already. I mean even Blackberry had the red flashing light for notifications before Android.

- Widgets, I do love me some widgets. I have widgets for Calendar agenda, Current weather + date, Sports scores, Power toggles, 5 day forecast weather. Even a JB iPhone is very limited on the widgets. I don't understand why Apple can't at least offer the option of home screen widgets. If you don't like them don't use them then, but at should still be an option.

- At the end of the day, there isn't that one perfect device. I guess you just need to pick the one that checks off most the boxes you like, and go with it. Only phones on my radar moving forward are the OnePlus Two, due 3rd QTR, or the Note 5 if it's designed like the S6, but most likely the Note 5 if it does follow the S6 build and shape. A thin and flat Note 5, made of the same metal and glass like the S6 could be an amazing device IMO.

Last edited:
First workday on Android in three months, let's see how this goes.

Here's how it will go; you're going to love it for the most part and stick with it for the next 1-3 months. Then you'll get a new phone in order to compensate for some minute and negligible issue(s), while you're really just trading it for some other minute and negligible issue(s). And the cycle will continue until you decide to blow money on something else and/or get tired of wasting time swapping phones constantly. :p

Here's how it will go; you're going to love it for the most part and stick with it for the next 1-3 months. Then you'll get a new phone in order to compensate for some minute and negligible issue(s), while you're really just trading it for some other minute and negligible issue(s). And the cycle will continue until you decide to blow money on something else and/or get tired of wasting time swapping phones constantly. :p

LOL :p

Thank god for Craigslist, that I use to help trade and sell my gadgets.

At least it's cheaper than cocaine!

Just to be clear here. By no means, am I saying the OnePlus One is a better phone than the iPhone 6 Plus.

Hardware wise, and build quality, the 6 Plus is far and above the better phone. To me it's more Android Lollipop OS compared to iOS 8.

- The metal build, and rounded edges of the 6 Plus are beautiful, and really well designed, plus the sharp and crisp display on the 6 Plus, is nicer than the more bluish tinted and somewhat blurry One Plus One screen in comparison.

- But then again the $349 Off Contract must also be remembered on the OPO. That is a very important fact, that this phone is so affordable, and you really do get a great bang for your buck, no question. The 64GB iPhone 6 Plus Off Contract is $850 :eek: That's a massive price difference. Sure the iPhone will have a nicer screen, better build materials, etc... your paying more than twice the price for that.

- Rumors that the OnePlus Two will use all new metal build, and nicer design, better screen tech, and be priced a bit higher, more like the $449 range. It will have all the flagship hardware specs as the current Android phones around at time of release.

I have to say I am really liking my OnePlus One a lot. CM12 on this beast rocks, smooth as butter, and insane battery life, seems to be on par with my iPhone 6 Plus battery life.

I picked up a Tempered glass screen protector, my first tempered protector ever, and it went on flawlessly. Can't even tell there's anything on the screen, very smooth, clear, and no fingerprints. .

CaseBase;
http://www.amazon.com/Casebase-Premium-Tempered-Protector-Oneplus/dp/B00O6EQIIO

And I picked up an aluminum bumper, just wanted to try something different, see if I like it. And I do.
http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-Alumin...7&sr=8-3&keywords=aluminum+bumper+oneplus+one

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have to say I am really liking my OnePlus One a lot. CM12 on this beast rocks, smooth as butter, and insane battery life, seems to be on par with my iPhone 6 Plus battery life.

I have to say I am really (NOT) surprised... see you again in 3 months.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just switched to the iPhone 6 now. This is day 1. And yeah, one hand use the phone? What?!

The biggest annoyance today was logging into my apps. Having to go in and out of home to app to recent app list to LastPass and copy password back to recent app list to app to home is a hassle! LastPass cannot autofill like on Android. Second biggest annoyance is having to go back and force on the home screen cause all new apps are installed on the second page.

BTW, one of the apps lagged out and crashed while I was logging in. I forgot which one, but I had to force close it. It might be either the CVS or Walgreens app.

There are more annoyances but they are rather minor.

Of course, my biggest feature request for Apple is to let me set the default apps please.

Other than that, smooth... And battery life is looking good. SwiftKey is good too; I don't know why people's reviews of it in the app store is so horrible.

Speaking of the app store, I haven't had a need to purchase an app yet.
I'm also really happy that the Burner App actually works (unlike on Android).

I am thinking to get one of the new Nexus phones. I don't know if the experience today strengthened or weakened that case. Majority of my apps and account information, calendar, etc are on Google. I have more Google Apps installed than even Apple. And everything seems to work really well, including Hangout. But I really want Chrome to be my default browser. It's like I might be 99% satisfied with iPhones if Apple just allow me to change defaults for just the browser and map/navigation only. That's all I ask.

P.S. I wish it could automatically delete photos one they have been uploaded too. (Not iCloud, but Google Photos)

.I am thinking to get one of the new Nexus phones. I don't know if the experience today strengthened or weakened that case. Majority of my apps and account information, calendar, etc are on Google. I have more Google Apps installed than even Apple. And everything seems to work really well, including Hangout. But I really want Chrome to be my default browser. It's like I might be 99% satisfied with iPhones if Apple just allow me to change defaults for just the browser and map/navigation only. That's all I ask.

P.S. I wish it could automatically delete photos one they have been uploaded too. (Not iCloud, but Google Photos)

The good news is that if you do live in a Google-heavy ecosystem, those apps regularly offer to kick you over to another Google app instead of the defaults. Gmail may punt you over to Chrome, and so on.

The irony is that Google's iOS apps frequently get new features before their Android equivalents. For example, Hangouts for iOS got a big redesign on June 29th; it took a month and a half for those same features to come to Android, just today. So if you want the latest Google app experiences, you may actually prefer an iPhone.

Midway to Day 2. I've forgotten the Lightning Cable at home, since I only have one, so I decided to not charge the phone at work just to see how long it lasts. It's at 68% right now, and I've done a lot of things on my phone because I found more things that I have to set up (and that I'm playing Family Guy). And I ran out of space on the 16GB model; I uninstalled a few apps that I probably wouldn't be using much for a couple of months. I'm waiting for the 6S to get the 64GB model.

One of the best thing for me really is being able to use the phone one handed. It's fantastic. For someone with arthritis and early signs of carpal tunnel, this is really, really great to be able to give one of my hands and wrists a break.

P.S. I'm currently using a Nexus 5 case for temporary protection while I wait for Amazon to deliver. It actually fits rather well. Just can't take pictures with the case on. At the end of the day, it's a rectangle with rounded corners (just for the haters).

You couldn't use your M8 one handed as well? I thought that's what you came from.. I have small hands and have no issues using my M8 on handed.

To be fair I can one hand a Note 3 and I'm not a giant. Some people have differing opinions on "one handed" uses.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You couldn't use your M8 one handed as well? I thought that's what you came from.. I have small hands and have no issues using my M8 on handed.

I've used the One M8, and one-handed use is a bit touch-and-go -- there were times where I was nervous about it tipping out of my hands. The iPhone 6 is slippery, but it's easier to grab firmly if necessary.

I've used the One M8, and one-handed use is a bit touch-and-go -- there were times where I was nervous about it tipping out of my hands. The iPhone 6 is slippery, but it's easier to grab firmly if necessary.

Well I use mine with a thin TPU case too, so that helps a lot with grip compared to the bare aluminum back. It's slippery as hell without a case and there's no way I could imagine using it without one, hah.

HTC One M7 could be used one handed with ease. But not as easy as the iPhone 6 if I recall correctly. I no longer have the M7, so I can't really compare. Maybe it's not I'm coming from the M8 to the iPhone 6 making it seems like iPhone 6 is much better at one-handing it.

But I have to two-hand the M8. My thumb cannot go as easy from the bottom to the top of the M8 to pull down the quick-settings and notifications. Where as I can on the iPhone 6. The M8 is also seems top heavy, where as the iPhone 6 got more of a centered balance, so holding it one-handed seems easier.

The iPhone 6 with its full front glass with rounded edges also make swiping across the the device smoother. I could see why Chinese phone makers are always touting the "2.5D" glass now.

Another annoyance: not having 1080p is a slight pain. Some graphics just doesn't look right at whatever this weird ass resolution the iPhone 6 has got.

And another annoyance: I have to plug in the iPhone to my Chevy Volt's USB port in order to get the MyLink apps (Pandora, Stitcher, etc) to work. Sure, I could just set the channels to BT, but it wouldn't be as seamless. My Android phones could do all that without the wire! Apple, fix this! Now!

One more annoyance: Google Now is far better than Siri. That's all I need to say about this annoyance here.

P.S. Does PushBullet actually work on the iPhone?

=====================

Okay, end of work day, with lots of app logins and settings adjustments, and playing with Family Guy, my battery life is 55%.

Last edited:

I had trouble with my M8 with one hand too. It was too tall for me.

Midway to Day 2. I've forgotten the Lightning Cable at home, since I only have one, so I decided to not charge the phone at work just to see how long it lasts.

The Apple cables will fray at the end. At least that's how every busted cable I've seen ends up. Try Anker.
The business ends are much more stiff and hopefully less prone to fraying.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I ordered Anker's lightning cable dual pack for $16ish already. If there is a brand that I might be a fanboy of, it's Anker. I have so many batteries, USB cable, as well as a couple of laptop batteries and of course two batteries for my Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch from Anker. They took care of business with the laptop battery when I had problems with it with no resistance. (speaking of which, fuck you, ASUS!)

The best lightning cables I've ever used are Pangea. Only place I know of that sells them is Audio Advisor.

Man, the iPhone renders my Pebble Time just half a smartwatch. Pebble Time on Android is amazing. On the iPhone, it's just not worth $200 or $250. I'm so glad that I got in on the super early bird special on Kickstarter. On second thought, I'm so glad that I have an option to go Nexus (2015)'s. I would totally jailbreak, but Pebble Profiles is just a small part of the missing features.

Man, the iPhone renders my Pebble Time just half a smartwatch. Pebble Time on Android is amazing. On the iPhone, it's just not worth $200 or $250. I'm so glad that I got in on the super early bird special on Kickstarter. On second thought, I'm so glad that I have an option to go Nexus (2015)'s. I would totally jailbreak, but Pebble Profiles is just a small part of the missing features.

Yeah, the original Pebble was fine on iOS, but it seems like Time support was rushed. I believe some of the other features will arrive in an update, but it's not the iOS smartwatch of choice.

Since you're in the know, any clue on what Pebble is working on for iOS aside from voice respond for emails, not text? That all my bing / google skills could find.

Since you're in the know, any clue on what Pebble is working on for iOS aside from voice respond for emails, not text? That all my bing / google skills could find.

Well, not that in the know, unfortunately -- I just know that it's trying to cover at least some of the gap. You can tell Pebble was rushing to get the Time out there so that it didn't let the Apple Watch go unanswered for too long.

What's Z using these days? I just finished reading through all 18 pages as I was considering getting a 6 Plus since up to 8.4 is JB'able. My current daily driver is an M8.

Back