Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

I gotta say that Apple Maps still sucks compared to google's app. It is far too zoomed in on my iPhone 4s, so that the turn by turn navigation field of view is basically just a dot of my location and doesn't show enough of the upcoming roads/directions to have any benefit to me. Also it consistently prefers to have me make u-turns unnecessarily and it STILL will randomly navigate me to a non-existent place / erroneous address. In my area, which is a metropolitan area, I always have to double check its search results with google before going to a new place.

It's a shame because it is integrated really nicely with the phone. It is nice how turn by turn shows on the lock screen, for instance.

I gotta say that Apple Maps still sucks compared to google's app. It is far too zoomed in on my iPhone 4s, so that the turn by turn navigation field of view is basically just a dot of my location and doesn't show enough of the upcoming roads/directions to have any benefit to me. Also it consistently prefers to have me make u-turns unnecessarily and it STILL will randomly navigate me to a non-existent place / erroneous address. In my area, which is a metropolitan area, I always have to double check its search results with google before going to a new place.

It's a shame because it is integrated really nicely with the phone. It is nice how turn by turn shows on the lock screen, for instance.

I agree. Although, at least around me, it has improved significantly since it launched... but it still needs work. I still tend to use it over other maps apps, because of it's integration, but I always keep google maps installed just in case lol

Nice! What theme is that? I've not seen it before.

- Icon pack = Aries
- Weather widget = SevenWeather
- Google widget = Search Widget iPhone 6
- Unread notifications = ColorBadges

Attached a cop of the wallpaper, if you wanted it ?

Well my phone and my wife's are back to 8.1.2 stock. We both had some resprings, which we could handle, but her phone went into safe mode. That kind of freaked us out. I doubt I'll get her to jailbreak again but I'll do mine again eventually. I wish I knew which was the offending app. Might have to install 1 app every couple of days to figure it out.

Well my phone and my wife's are back to 8.1.2 stock. We both had some resprings, which we could handle, but her phone went into safe mode. That kind of freaked us out. I doubt I'll get her to jailbreak again but I'll do mine again eventually. I wish I knew which was the offending app. Might have to install 1 app every couple of days to figure it out.

That sucks. I' Jailbreaked my 6 Plus the first day I got it over a month ago. Never once had a random respring or reboot. Guess I got lucky.

That sucks. I' Jailbreaked my 6 Plus the first day I got it over a month ago. Never once had a random respring or reboot. Guess I got lucky.

I'm thinking it's "minimal ad blocker" or whatever it's called. But I'm not certain. That and the "elite 8" theme are the last things I remember installing.

I'll give it another shot eventually.

You might want to set your iTunes preferences to prevent auto-synching and auto-updating when your phone is connected to your computer. If you get bumped up to 8.1.3, jailbreaking no longer is possible. :(

You might want to set your iTunes preferences to prevent auto-synching and auto-updating when your phone is connected to your computer. If you get bumped up to 8.1.3, jailbreaking no longer is possible. :(

good call. I'm still on 8.1.2 for my phone. My wife was pretty angry that her phone went into safe mode so she upgraded to 8.1.3.

That's a great video. I love his whole set up and am going to try to get mine to look like it.

Did you see his e-mail notification badge??? 11,875 messages!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm thinking of making the switch from my Galaxy S5 over to the 6+, but one of the major hangs for me is the notification light. I really don't understand why it's not an option on the iphone. Would it be so hard to include the software functions to allow it?? If I'm not mistaken there is a light on there but it's just for when charging?

Anyhows, without the light can I just turn the phone on to see any notifications on the lock screen? I use whatsapp a lot, and it might be doable if that atleast works so I can see if I have a message without fully unlocking. If that's possible, does it show the full message contents on the lock screen?? Some chats of mine don't need to be picked up and read by anyone that hits the power button lol. I just want to know I have a message and then unlock my phone to go read it.

If I'm not mistaken there is a light on there but it's just for when charging?

No iPhone has a charging light on it. There are only two things that light up on an iPhone, the screen and the camera flash.

You can enable Notifications to make the camera flash blink under the Accessibility options on the iPhone. No idea how limited that is or isn't, I've never used it.

ahh too bad, I'm still curious on the lockscreen notifications tho, if you can have it show you a missing chat, but not actually show you the contents of the message.

ahh too bad, I'm still curious on the lockscreen notifications tho, if you can have it show you a missing chat, but not actually show you the contents of the message.

You can disable "Show Previews" for Messages Notifications, to keep the incoming dong shots/drug deals/mistress off your lock screen.

I'm thinking of making the switch from my Galaxy S5 over to the 6+, but one of the major hangs for me is the notification light. I really don't understand why it's not an option on the iphone. Would it be so hard to include the software functions to allow it?? If I'm not mistaken there is a light on there but it's just for when charging?

Anyhows, without the light can I just turn the phone on to see any notifications on the lock screen? I use whatsapp a lot, and it might be doable if that atleast works so I can see if I have a message without fully unlocking. If that's possible, does it show the full message contents on the lock screen?? Some chats of mine don't need to be picked up and read by anyone that hits the power button lol. I just want to know I have a message and then unlock my phone to go read it.

As was mentioned earlier, there's nothing that would technically count as a notification light. Think of it as a philosophical difference: some people value those lights, but others are genuinely irked by them. Imagine trying to avoid looking at a flashing LED all day simply because you get a lot of email or messages.

I've never understood why notification lights are a must have for people. I get it, it blinks every couple of seconds, but unless you happen to glance over right when it blinks you're sitting there gazing at a blank phone for a couple seconds. Its soo much quicker to hit the button real quick to turn on the screen and see notifications. Yes, whatsapp shows up on the home screen notification. My family uses whatsapp because my brother is deployed and thats how we talk to him.

Also, I have my camera flash set to flash whenever I get a text or call. It only does it in quick succession and only does it when the call/text first happens

Also, there is no charging light on an iphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always liked the notification light for at work, I can't have my phone out in plain sight at my desk so I stash it next to my laptop docking station and it was nice to just see the blink when I needed to check a msg instead of just constantly having to hit the home button. I'm living with it tho, just not as convenient.

Question on the jailbreak side, now that I've done the break can I turn the find my phone back on? or does that need to stay off?

I always liked the notification light for at work, I can't have my phone out in plain sight at my desk so I stash it next to my laptop docking station and it was nice to just see the blink when I needed to check a msg instead of just constantly having to hit the home button. I'm living with it tho, just not as convenient.

Question on the jailbreak side, now that I've done the break can I turn the find my phone back on? or does that need to stay off?

setup the flash to go off when you get a notification (under settings). IIRC, you can also set the number of times it will go off to remind you, same as the notification sound repeat. The only downside is it's very bright. Otherwise, keep your phone faced up and the screen will turn on with every notification and display it (this is what I do at work).

As for FindmyiPhone, you can turn that stuff all back on. It's only needed to disable activation lock for the initial jailbreak process.

Well call me crazy :eek: I just placed an order with OPO for another new OnePlus One :cool:

For several reasons; the $300 price for the OPO is still hard to beat, and I need battery life on my smartphone, and the OPO is one of the top battery champ phones out there. Plus I prefer stock vanilla Android type OS, over lets say Touchwiz or Sense. And with the official Lollipop update due this week for the OPO = CM12S, and also the brand new Oxygen OS from the Paranoid Android team now working for OPO also due this week, I have two good choices for which OS I want to use on my OnePlus One.

I really liked the iPhone 6 Plus, but I miss Android a lot. The little things like a back button, notification LED, double tap to wake, the way notifications work, home screen widgets, etc... Which is stuff that even Jailbreak doesn't really offer, or do well.

I wanted to go smaller, phone size, but I also crave and need battery life, and battery life is really only found on Phablets of 5.5" or bigger. I would go back to a One M8 if the battery life was there for me, or wait for the One M9, if it got like 6h On Screen time, but they don't.

The only other phone that peaked my interest was the Sony Z3, as that thing is also known as a battery beast, but the Z3 is still pretty pricey in the $500 + range, and is a bit dated, and also size wise, yes it's smaller, but watching videos of the Z3 compared to the OPO or i6Plus, it didn't look substantially smaller, just a bit smaller. And the price difference of the OPO for $300, vs the Z3 being $500+, was too great for me to justify. And I am not a fan of Snapdragon 810 phones, I think it best to skip this round of phones, and wait till the 815 phones come out later Summer.

IMO I still view the OPO as a Nexus 5.5, looks like a larger next gen Nexus 5, with updated hardware, something I could have seen Google selling as a Nexus in the Spring of 2014.

Let's see how I really like the transition going back to Android, after 3 months away. My One will be here next week.

Well call me crazy :eek: I just placed an order with OPO for another new OnePlus One :cool:

For several reasons; the $300 price for the OPO is still hard to beat, and I need battery life on my smartphone, and the OPO is one of the top battery champ phones out there. Plus I prefer stock vanilla Android type OS, over lets say Touchwiz or Sense. And with the official Lollipop update due this week for the OPO = CM12S, and also the brand new Oxygen OS from the Paranoid Android team now working for OPO also due this week, I have two good choices for which OS I want to use on my OnePlus One.

I really liked the iPhone 6 Plus, but I miss Android a lot. The little things like a back button, notification LED, double tap to wake, the way notifications work, home screen widgets, etc... Which is stuff that even Jailbreak doesn't really offer, or do well.

I wanted to go smaller, phone size, but I also crave and need battery life, and battery life is really only found on Phablets of 5.5" or bigger. I would go back to a One M8 if the battery life was there for me, or wait for the One M9, if it got like 6h On Screen time, but they don't.

The only other phone that peaked my interest was the Sony Z3, as that thing is also known as a battery beast, but the Z3 is still pretty pricey in the $500 + range, and is a bit dated, and also size wise, yes it's smaller, but watching videos of the Z3 compared to the OPO or i6Plus, it didn't look substantially smaller, just a bit smaller. And the price difference of the OPO for $300, vs the Z3 being $500+, was too great for me to justify. And I am not a fan of Snapdragon 810 phones, I think it best to skip this round of phones, and wait till the 815 phones come out later Summer.

IMO I still view the OPO as a Nexus 5.5, looks like a larger next gen Nexus 5, with updated hardware, something I could have seen Google selling as a Nexus in the Spring of 2014.

Let's see how I really like the transition going back to Android, after 3 months away. My One will be here next week.

Nevermind, didn't completely read your post.

Last edited:

I'll be glad to take your already jailbroken 6Plus off your hands. :cool:

(snip)

"Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in..."

Actually, if I could buy a 1+1 for $300, I'd probably get one just to keep up with the competition.

Last edited:
"Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in..."

Actually, if I could buy a 1+1 for $300, I'd probably get one just to keep up with the competition.

On Tuesdays OPO sells the phone with no codes or invites needed. And they have the 16GB for $299, not bad if you don't use storage for music or games.

Wow. Z's dalliance with IOS lasted a whole whopping 3 months. Didn't see that one coming. :p

Wow. Z's dalliance with IOS lasted a whole whopping 3 months. Didn't see that one coming. :p

The quarterly cycle of Zorachus:

• New phone
  • ZOMG It's perfect I love it, best battery evar!
  • New phone

On Tuesdays OPO sells the phone with no codes or invites needed. And they have the 16GB for $299, not bad if you don't use storage for music or games.
Cool! I'll buy one next week. My latest commission check will be deposited by then. Thanks for the tip!

The quarterly cycle of Zorachus:

• New phone
  • ZOMG It's perfect I love it, best battery evar!
  • New phone

Yeah I'm disappointed Zorachus. You seemed to love the iPhone 6 Plus.

I'm probably sticking with my iPhone 6 for the full 2 years. At least 18 months.

I can see if the One Plus Two was out, but why so impressed with a OPO in March 2015?

I'm probably sticking with my iPhone 6 for the full 2 years. At least 18 months.

I can see if the One Plus Two was out, but why so impressed with a OPO in March 2015?

Sounds like he's just getting the OPO because it's cheap, and he's found reasons to fall in love with it before it shows up :)

In fairness to Z, he actually never claimed to be displeased with his 6+ (I love mine). Seems more like he's a just little homesick for Android, especially the features it has that iOS still does not.

If I buy a 1+1, next week, it'll be more as a way to keep up with Android developments. Can't see myself dumping iPhone for Android. Were I to seriously consider changing phones, it'd be for something really different like Windows Phone.

Price was an issue, but disregard price, what other newish type Android phone has the battery life like the OPO, that has been released in the past 12 months ? The Note 4 maybe ? I hate Tocuhwiz, and not a fan of the Note 4. The Nexus 6, nope, my Wife has it, and the battery life is good, but not OPO good, and the Nexus 6 feels cheap to me.

Only other good battery life phone would be the Sony Z3, but the development community looks pretty bleak, but other than that the Z3 seems like a great phone. But is the Z3 worth the $550, vs the OPO at $299 ? IMO I don't think so.

I still view the OPO as the true Nexus successor to the Nexus 5. The OPO looks like a larger and newer Nexus 5, and has the price point of Nexus phones too. Where the Nexus 6 is nothing like the previous Nexus phones. My Wife has the Nexus 6, it feels cheap, it rattles when haptic vibration on, it just seems ok, but certainly not great, and certainly not a $650 phone.

Out of the four 2014 Android phones I owned last year, the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, OnePlus One, and Nexus 6. I put the OnePlus One at the top, and a close second the One M8, if the battery life was better, I'd say M8 #1. And then the Nexus 6 third, and S5 last.

Lastly I am not dissing my Jailbreak iPhone 6 Plus, it is a very nice phone, with EXCELLENT battery life, but it's more iOS I am not a fan of. Maybe iOS 9 or iOS 10 will bring me back. I like stock Android, or close, like the OPO has CM12S or the new Oxygen OS from Paranoid Android team, made specifically for the OnePlus One.

Out of the four 2014 Android phones I owned last year, the Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, OnePlus One, and Nexus 6. I put the OnePlus One at the top, and a close second the One M8, if the battery life was better, I'd say M8 #1. And then the Nexus 6 third, and S5 last.

For anyone just coming into this thread, here are the cliff notes:

Zorachus will move from the OPO to a new phone before June finishes.

For anyone just coming into this thread, here are the cliff notes:

Zorachus will move from the OPO to a new phone before June finishes.

Ha LOL

To what ? Only new phones I might be remotely interested in would be, OnePlus Two, maybe the LG G4

Price was an issue, but disregard price, what other newish type Android phone has the battery life like the OPO, that has been released in the past 12 months ? The Note 4 maybe ? I hate Tocuhwiz, and not a fan of the Note 4. The Nexus 6, nope, my Wife has it, and the battery life is good, but not OPO good, and the Nexus 6 feels cheap to me.

Only other good battery life phone would be the Sony Z3, but the development community looks pretty bleak, but other than that the Z3 seems like a great phone. But is the Z3 worth the $550, vs the OPO at $299 ? IMO I don't think so.

I still view the OPO as the true Nexus successor to the Nexus 5. The OPO looks like a larger and newer Nexus 5, and has the price point of Nexus phones too. Where the Nexus 6 is nothing like the previous Nexus phones. My Wife has the Nexus 6, it feels cheap, it rattles when haptic vibration on, it just seems ok, but certainly not great, and certainly not a $650 phone.

Lastly I am not dissing my Jailbreak iPhone 6 Plus, it is a very nice phone, with EXCELLENT battery life, but it's more iOS I am not a fan of. Maybe iOS 9 or iOS 10 will bring me back. I like stock Android, or close, like the OPO has CM12S or the new Oxygen OS from Paranoid Android team, made specifically for the OnePlus One.

I don't disagree with you if you just don't like iOS all of a sudden. But how could price be an issue, you already have the iPhone 6 plus?

Back