Android Media Devices

I've had one of these Android TV sticks since Oct. The model I have is the UG007 and hardware wise it is near identical to the MX1. I'm actually running a custom MX1 rom in my UG007 and it works nearly perfect.

More info about these devices can be found on this forum
http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?110-Android-TV-Players

A few things I want to point out that no one mentioned yet in this thread.
1. Bluetooth does not work with keyboards and mouse yet. Only for file transfers.
2. Make sure to use a powered usb hub
3. The cpu runs very hot and may be the cause of most freezes and crashes. I've added ram heatsinks to my cpu and now seems to be stable.
4. None of the current devices can play 1080p without studder over the network so its best to avoid streaming over the network unless it's 720p or lower. Even 1080p videos on the device locally will have very slight skips, I didn't find it too annoying.
5. Wifi has some stability and limited range issues. I use a USB to RJ45 adapter so I don't have to use wifi and speeds are much better. This seems to be what other people are doing as well.

I'm going to address what you've posted as this must only pertain to the UG007 since I've tested 2 devices.
1. Bluetooth on the MX1 DOES work with a keyboard as I've tested a logitech bluetooth keyboard and it works flawlessly.
2. Powered hub is somewhat obvious for the primary reason that the device isn't utilizing much power so it uses a lower powered adapter. Thus trying to push power to multiple USB devices would not be successful. If I didn't explain that well enough, I'm sure someone else can.
3. The only times that I've found the CPU running hot was media scanning and 1080P playback after a while (for both the MX1 and Neo G4).
4. Both the Minix Neo G4 and the MX1 can successfully play media over a WIFI-N network without stuttering using the XBMC debug apks that I've found. I've since dedicated a WIFI-N 300Mbps channel to the two devices and it works well. I did not see any issues with playing files locally either. I've tested 1080P files for this as much as I could.
5. Lastly, the WIFI is nothing stellar, this is a trend between ALL of the devices it seems. However the MINIX at my office can successfully connect at 150Mbps yet at home it reaches only 72Mbps. Either way, it's fast enough for streaming media over the network.
I do not have any USB to network adapters that seem to work with this at this time so I'm a little out of luck on that one. Some people have reported success with a specific model of 10/100 but I'd prefer 10/100/1000

The Minix Neo X5 I've heard good things about. No clue about the Favi.

Also, as a side note. My iMito MX1 paired nicely with a Logitech Dinovo Mini Bluetooth.

I really want one of these that can play back untouched 1080p blu-rays with XBMC. I will be able to replace my power hungry core2duo systems I have all over the house :).

I got my iMoto MX2 yesterday. Finally got it out of the box and connected to a TV for some quick testing.

I've got it running right now. I'm a bit on new ground as far as using Android without a touch screen. :) Right now, I have it streaming an mp4 from the hard drive on my PC. The unit is just a few feet from the PC, though, so this is no test of the wifi.

Right now, I have a 16GB SD card in it and I'm using this a keyboard with a USB receiver. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JA980Q/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I have the unit plugged into an HDMI port on my TV....but I'd rather plug it into my AV receiver so I can switch to it and get sound from my sound system rather than the TV. But I'm just testing it out right now.

I like the concept of this device. Tiny PC. I'd rather connect it to my gigabit network and ditch wifi, though. Also, I'd like more storage...I assume like most other Androids I can store most of my apps on the SD card rather than on the internal storage space?

I'm going to get the Pogoplug app on here and see if I can stream from my personal cloud drive...which I keep download stairs, but wired to my home network. I'll also be testing to see if I can get this to stream my blu-ray ISOs too.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back