Android Market Changed To Google Play

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ummm, "Google Play" doesn't even sound right. What was wrong with the Android Market name?

Internet giant Google has announced it will change the name of its digital marketplace from the Android Market to the Google-centric, Google Play. For those that may have been living under a rock, the Android Market has long served as the center of Google’s digital marketplace, offering mobile applications, movies, and eBooks.

This seems like a huge waste of resources. What's the point? Not to mention that the vast majority of popular apps have nothing to do with "playing" at all.

I wouldn't want to put a serious business application in a store called Google Play.

Neither would I expect serious business applications to be found in it.

What the hell, Google?

I just want to smash my hands in a book right now. This is terrible for companies that had a lot of printed documentation referencing "Android Market" in grandma friendly instructions. Google gave precisely zero warning of the upcoming switch and a lot of people won't associate "Android Market is now Google Play".

Between this and Windows 8, I'm seriously wondering if companies even care about feedback anymore or simply exist in their own little bubbles of fail.

this update is already pushed out to my phone. now the app is just called "Play Store".. so weird.

Googleplex Store/Market/Shop would have at least been a kind of interesting name.

The rest sounds like some kind of kiddie game, you want to Play Store with daddy?

What in the flying fuck is this bullshit? Google Play? GOOGLE PLAY?!

Nice one Google...love the new ridiculous name! Because as we all know Google Market is just simply absurd!!!

Just wow...like this doesn't effect me in anyway shape or form but even I'm left pissed with a simple "Why?" is rolling around in my brain.

Seriously, what's up with Google lately? First they new-coked their news site and now they come up with Google Play? wtf?

Gspot would be a better name if you ask me :D

It'll go well with gmail, haha

On my Galaxy Nexus, Market is still Market, but I now have Google Play Music and Google Play Movies in place of their old apps lol.

Good professional business-like name. Google Play.

CFO: I wonder if there's an app for my Android device that'll let me check the latest trend in the stock market.
IT Guy: Have you looked on Google Play?
CFO: What the fuck man? Is the stock market a fucking game to you? If I wanted to play Hello Kitty on my Android I'd fucking ask you where to find Hello Kitty.
IT Guy: Uh, well it used to be called Android Market, but they changed the name to Google Play.
CFO: Ugh, get me a fucking iPhone. BRB, throwing this phone in the trash can.

Even App Store sounds professional :-P

I think they saw Netflix come out with Qwikster and decided they didn't want to be one-upped.

The problem with "Android Market" is Apple owns the copyright to the words Market, App, Store, Service, and File. You can not use those words to describe your service.

Between this and Windows 8, I'm seriously wondering if companies even care about feedback anymore or simply exist in their own little bubbles of fail.

That plus who the hell was the person hired to come up with it??

Another piece of evidence in the fact that marketing is nothing more than common sense-which is lacking amongst most people and a bit of finesse but doesn't require a degree or any intelligence.

This is coming from the company with the high standards that only hires the best of the best, and won't even consider your resume unless you graduated with a degree from an Ivy league caliber school or have a Phd. with atleast 5 years of high level experience. :rolleyes:

All the haters don't think any further then the name. Yes, the name is a bit cheesy, but it isn't all that bad. You have to look at the big picture though when looking at this name change. Everything was tied to the name "Android" in some way shape or form. That limits your business because people will assume that you need an Android device to take part in the "Android Market".

You could always go to the Android market and purchase movies to watch or e-books to read. The problem was the branding to Android. Why would the common person go to the Android Market to rent a movie or buy an e-book?

Now you go to the Google Play Market. Now you can get Music, Movies, Books, and Android Apps. Only the Android Apps are tied to Android. Now you suddenly market to the sheep of the world who don't pay attention. This is simply a smart marketing move by Google to pull everything out from under the Android Umbrella and put it under the Google umbrella.

There's a great editorial about this name change here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...represents-a-new-age-for-google-as-a-company/

Now you go to the Google Play Market. Now you can get Music, Movies, Books, and Android Apps. Only the Android Apps are tied to Android. Now you suddenly market to the sheep of the world who don't pay attention. This is simply a smart marketing move by Google to pull everything out from under the Android Umbrella and put it under the Google umbrella.

There's a great editorial about this name change here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...represents-a-new-age-for-google-as-a-company/

It is not called the Google Play "Market", it is just Google Play:

http://www.android.com/developers/branding.html#google_play

And oddly enough, people are getting icons called "Play Store" so they are already shooting their branding in the foot.

Mine updated and just said something about "accepting the new Google Play terms and conditions" but the icon/application is still called "Market".

:confused:

Mine updated and just said something about "accepting the new Google Play terms and conditions" but the icon/application is still called "Market".

:confused:

If you go to the Applications list, uninstall the updates for the Market, then open the Market app again, it should upgrade you to the Play Store instead of the Market.

When ever I play with my google I fist it hard with my whole hand right inside both of the OO then u wiggle the L.

Back