Android Mail app - new emails won't download

a!!!!1

Weaksauce
I have my business email (@ my own server) set up in the Mail app and it's been working perfectly for months, but just yesterday it suddenly stopped downloading new emails. I redid all the incoming/outgoing settings and the app says "verifying account settings ..." and it was able to verify that they were correct. I also know they're correct because they've been working fine and I didn't change anything at all, the app just suddenly decided to stop downloading my emails. I also didn't change any of the settings on my server, and Thunderbird on my desktop still downloads my new emails just fine.

I'm using HTC Desire with the stock 2.2 rom, no backup software. This has happened once before but it was because I didn't have any internal storage left, but this time I checked and I have a lot of space, so I have no idea why it won't download them. Everything else (internet browser, gmail, etc) works fine. Am on AT&T in the US.

Anyone know why this happened? How to fix it?

edit: solved. paypal had sent me an email with some weird characters in the subject which blocked it from downloading in the app which also stopped all further emails from downloading. Deleted it through Thunderbird and now everything works. god how I hate paypal

Last edited:
I have my business email (@ my own server) set up in the Mail app and it's been working perfectly for months, but just yesterday it suddenly stopped downloading new emails. I redid all the incoming/outgoing settings and the app says "verifying account settings ..." and it was able to verify that they were correct. I also know they're correct because they've been working fine and I didn't change anything at all, the app just suddenly decided to stop downloading my emails. I also didn't change any of the settings on my server, and Thunderbird on my desktop still downloads my new emails just fine.

I'm using HTC Desire with the stock 2.2 rom, no backup software. This has happened once before but it was because I didn't have any internal storage left, but this time I checked and I have a lot of space, so I have no idea why it won't download them. Everything else (internet browser, gmail, etc) works fine. Am on AT&T in the US.

Anyone know why this happened? How to fix it?

edit: solved. paypal had sent me an email with some weird characters in the subject which blocked it from downloading in the app which also stopped all further emails from downloading. Deleted it through Thunderbird and now everything works. god how I hate paypal

Are you sure that it was PayPal that sent you the emal, may be it was some knid of spam. i just dont get one thing: how it could block the email receiving by the app. May be it contained some virus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that it was PayPal that sent you the emal, may be it was some knid of spam. i just dont get one thing: how it could block the email receiving by the app. May be it contained some virus?

It was PayPal, not spam. It had some unusual characters in the subject (like # and *), and I did some research and it seems like a few people have had issues with emails containing special characters. I'm not sure why it has an issue with it because the phone keyboard does have those characters, but as soon as I deleted the PayPal email it started working again (literally 5 seconds later).

I'd probably start looking for a new app if it can't handle those character. What app was it?

Back