Android Hompepage Hijack

narsbars

2[H]4U
I keep getting an Android homepage hijack using Chrome. "You won an iPhone" etc. I can get out of it but can't make it go away permanently. I don't want to factory wipe and can't seem to find anything that works. Trend Micro, Avast, and many more.
Galaxy 6, latest update, stock.
I have erased history to the beginning of time leaving only passwords but the hijack only goes away for a while and then haunts me again.
Anyone have any ideas?

Is your homepage simply set to that website?

Open Chrome -> Settings -> Homepage

I keep getting an Android homepage hijack using Chrome. "You won an iPhone" etc. I can get out of it but can't make it go away permanently. I don't want to factory wipe and can't seem to find anything that works. Trend Micro, Avast, and many more.
Galaxy 6, latest update, stock.
I have erased history to the beginning of time leaving only passwords but the hijack only goes away for a while and then haunts me again.
Anyone have any ideas?
No. I did check. It was on Bing. I set the browser to no homepage and so far so good but it is a serious pain and worrying.

Not many and all removed. Real vanilla from the app store.
I don't do much with the phone except browse and email.
Boring, I know.

There is an Android Forum thread entitled Android Chrome Redirection Virus/Malware/Adware that is rich with suggestions, ranging from the simple to complex. It's worth a read especially since there are members claiming their particular method worked for them.
As an example, here is one of the more simple ones courtesy of someone named Priyank Gupta.
  1. open chrome
  2. go to settings
  3. go to site settings
  4. storage
  5. and look for googleads.g.doubleclick.net and any other site storage that looks malicious and remove them

Last edited:
I don't want to factory wipe

I have to wipe every few months, regardless of phone, just to maintain performance. If I had homepage hijacking, you bet your ass I'd do a factory wipe immediately, if not reflash the ROM entirely, if possible.

If I had homepage hijacking, you bet your ass I'd do a factory wipe immediately, if not reflash the ROM entirely, if possible.

This. I'd have Odin fired up and have that sucked flashed immediately.

OP said he doesn't do much on the phone so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Back