Android Facial Recognition Cracked With 3D Printed Heads

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Facial recognition is everywhere now, whether it's used for convenience or pushed as a "security" feature. But according to a report by Forbes, Android's facial recognition system isn't particularly hard to fool. Using a commercial, 3D printed model of his own head, Thomas Brewster was able to unlock all 4 Android phones he tested, namely an LG G7, Galaxy S9, a Note 8, and a OnePlus 6.

Check out the video of the attempt here.

No such luck with the iPhone X, though. Apple's investment in its tech - which saw the company work with a Hollywood studio to create realistic masks to test Face ID - has clearly paid off. It was impossible to break in with the model. Microsoft appeared to have done a fine job too. It's new Windows Hello facial recognition also didn't accept the fake head as real.

So if someone steals your phone they need to also take photos of you, and have the software to stitch them together then have the hardware to print realistic Mission Impossible like heads then they can break into your phone.

So if someone steals your phone they need to also take photos of you, and have the software to stitch them together then have the hardware to print realistic Mission Impossible like heads then they can break into your phone.

Clearly a giant security flaw!

Next step is use kinect style vision and look at the pulse through the skin. Might need to move one step further and remember vein patterns in the face.

Anyone else notice the 3D model company used tech called "3DFX" (51 seconds)? no relation, of course

I wonder if a super high rez face photo and printout would work as well as a $$$$ face mask

Apple Face Recognition can also be broken but requires a better 3d printer. Also requires a bit of trickery in the color printing; standard looks like my face coloring does not work.

Anyone else notice the 3D model company used tech called "3DFX" (51 seconds)? no relation, of course

I wonder if a super high rez face photo and printout would work as well as a $$$$ face mask

Apple FaceID uses a dot projector. At least my laptop with windows hello uses strobing, alternating IR light sources both of these methods should generate depth information, and should not be able to be fooled by flat images.

Apple Face Recognition can also be broken but requires a better 3d printer. Also requires a bit of trickery in the color printing; standard looks like my face coloring does not work.

Any example of that using simply a 3d printed head? Everything I have seen tries to replicate an injured, bandaged head and seems to be trying to game when and how FaceID relaxes the rules.

Pretty much. This is a non issue. Makes me wonder if Apple paid for this 'test'.

No such luck with the iPhone X, though. Apple's investment in its tech - which saw the company work with a Hollywood studio to create realistic masks to test Face ID - has clearly paid off.

What the ...heck? Wasn't there a story about a Filipino kid able to unlock his mom's iPhone x? Maybe Latin but I'm pretty sure this story ran on [H]ardOcp about 9 months ago. Did they get a significant upgrade to this tech on the iPhone X since launch? Something about this hollywood realistic face doesn't jive with that earlier story.

You'd have to ask one of your awesome government agencies to demo it with cheaper equipment. I think the challenge they are working out is how to model something out of a few mugshots correctly. One thing I know is that it does NOT require the scanning equipment which they are showing in the video, the scanning tech is actually quite simple compared to the video example.

What the ...heck? Wasn't there a story about a Filipino kid able to unlock his mom's iPhone x? Maybe Latin but I'm pretty sure this story ran on [H]ardOcp about 9 months ago. Did they get a significant upgrade to this tech on the iPhone X since launch? Something about this hollywood realistic face doesn't jive with that earlier story.

Apple has upgraded the software for FaceID in patches for for IOS 11 and again in IOS 12. That's why you haven't heard of those stories of confusing Parents and children.

FaceID is more secure than TouchID.

I wonder if the IR dot projection assists FaceID and MS Hello in detecting real eyes.

The test would probably break FaceID if the "awareness" option was turned off. (Awareness requires that your eyes be open and looking at the phone for FaceID to unlock).

I think we been over this plenty of times

bioemetric locks are for convenience not security

I think we been over this plenty of times

bioemetric locks are for convenience not security

Yup, always felt security required something to have and something you know to be the most secure. I actually miss my fingerprint unlock from my s7 going to iphone, now i have to look at my phone on the desk like an r-tard to check an email.

Source? First I've heard of this and really doubt it or it would be all over the media.

No, it's a lot better. Seems to me you are bashing Apple because you don't like them even though you are wrong. Very obvious in your posts.
It’s funny when people say Android has face unlock and then claim it’s the same tech as Apple. Lol.

I’ve been on Android for 8 years and just switched to iPhone to try out. The tech works a hell of a lot better than the crappy Android face unlocks.

It's this the same software that could be fooled with a printed photo of the user? Really making progress here, Google...

It’s funny when people say Android has face unlock and then claim it’s the same tech as Apple. Lol.

I’ve been on Android for 8 years and just switched to iPhone to try out. The tech works a hell of a lot better than the crappy Android face unlocks.

Right. It cracks me up every time someone says something about Apple like this, and they haven't even tried anything from Apple. They just jump on the band wagon.

On a more serious note at one time someone was profiling tech that did facial recognization based on blood vessels under the skin. That would be pretty hard to 3D print. What happened to that? Sensors must not be mobile friendly? Or more tech that is profiled but never makes it to commercial development? Seems something like that would dramatically ramp up the effectiveness of these solutions.

Back