Android 'Editor's Choice' Apps No Longer Mean Much

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Bloat, lack of updates, updates making the program worse or buggier, better alternatives, etc ... I've seen way too many apps lately that are resting on their laurels that no longer deserve the title. Google should start culling the list. What's the value of the award when better alternatives exist?

It's hard to keep programs competitive and worthy but hey, that's life. Kudos to those that are able to maintain their high quality.

I can honestly say I own and use none...and have no desire to own/use...any of the Editor's Choice apps.

From what I see on the Editors Choice apps, I have installed or purchased:

- TuneIn Radio; last updated Dec 3, 2013. This is a pretty nice app IMO, but I stopped using it for Pocketcasts a couple years ago for the morning radio show that I like to listen to.

- Camera ZOOM FX; last updated Jan 6, 2014. I forgot I purchased this during a sale a long time ago, lol. I might try it out again. Recent reviews for it are still giving it high ratings from what I see.

- Songza; last updated Jan 3, 2014. My wife started using this on her desktop at home recently and likes it a lot, so I thought I'd try it in the car one day. I thought it was pretty nice and had no issues with it. I love the concept of just clicking on your mood/setting in order to get the music you want.

- OfficeSuite Pro 7; last updated Jan 3, 2014. I use this regularly to view school related docs. Works fine for my uses, but I prefer ezPDF Reader (which I got for free from Amazon) for PDFs.

I checked a handfull of other apps in the Editor's Choice section and didn't see any that weren't updated in the last month or so. While I'm sure there may be "better" alternatives to the above apps, they're fine for my uses. I never put much stock in Editor's Choice for anything though, it seems like it's just another variant of the "Top downloaded" list.

Back