Android devices - question on differences (I'm I locked out of one device?)

I have a galaxy S3 and a HP touchpad with Android 4.4.2 on it. The problem is that the touchpad seems to be in some kind of locked down mode where all I can do is use the Internet and when I try to install something from gog play, the only option I get is for the S3 even though I'm browsing on the HP (I get a notice saying that it is installed yet nothing has been installed on either device).

I just got the Touchpad (used) so IDK if there is something wrong with it.

I also can't access any of the internal storage or do anything except look at the settings. I thought it was because it was stuck in debugging mode, but I made sure that it wasn't. It is running Android 4.4.2 BTW.

hptp1.png

hptp2.png

Well you don't have Google Play installed on the Touchpad (and probably none of the Google framework/services), You'll need to download the Google Apps bundle and flash them through CWM or whatever recovery you have installed.

And once that is done, you should be able to install apps.

This was my Touchpad, and I sold it to the OP. I think what Ravynmagi is referring to is the gapps package. I am not at the computer I used to do the flash for this, so I will have to try to find the links I used, but if you are up to it, here's a guide I found after a quick google search (PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED AT THE ARTICLE TITLE, AS IT IS IN NO WAY ANY REFERENCE TO YOU):

http://distillery.designbeforetime....guide-to-android-4-3-jellybean-on-hp-touchpad

Actually, I think the link I used may have been listed in that article:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37965549#post37965549

You may need to reflash. I know you said you are not comfortable working in android, but I'm confident that one of the forum members here can assist you and I in figuring this all out. And as I said in my past PM, I would be willing to take it back to do the work for you to make it right, or take it back and give you a refund. LMK.

Last edited:
You need to install the Google Apps manually. The Touchpad is not a user-friendly Android device, it's a tool for Android developers, or at least people who know how to use the developer tools.

If you want something that comes with Google Apps by default and is all set up out of the box, you should have picked up a Nexus or something.

Eh, if it already has android on it then it should have a custom recovery. It'll probably take 5 minutes to install gapps. Basically just download the zip file, reboot into recovery, and flash it.

I'm starting to think that this may have come up as an issue with using the auto-update feature in evolver. I know I followed the guide to the "T" and had it working 100%, I found the auto-update feature and downloaded the latest nightly that was available and installed it directly from the device. But after looking at the comments above, I'm thinking that the gapps file I originally put on the tablet was removed during the flash to the latest nightly (I did not download the gapps file again before the latest nightly flash).

Anyway, have you had a chance to look at the guide on XDA? It's very easy to reflash this:

1. I used a Windows 7 computer, as my Windows 8 laptop didn't see the device correctly,
2. Download and install Java and the Novacom drivers on this computer.
3. Put the ACMEInstaller5E installer files into the Palm, Inc folder where the Novacom drivers installed.
4. Download a new Evervolve package and the gapps package from Post #3 and extract them to your PC.
5. Connect the TouchPad to your PC with the USB cable and place it into USB Drive Mode(WebOS) or MTP mode(Android).
6. Download and run the batch files from post #1 and run the file to install.
7. Once complete disconnect your TouchPad from the USB cable.

Follow their guide or watch the videos for more specific details, but you should be able to walk through it.

I'm starting to think that this may have come up as an issue with using the auto-update feature in evolver. I know I followed the guide to the "T" and had it working 100%, I found the auto-update feature and downloaded the latest nightly that was available and installed it directly from the device. But after looking at the comments above, I'm thinking that the gapps file I originally put on the tablet was removed during the flash to the latest nightly (I did not download the gapps file again before the latest nightly flash).

Anyway, have you had a chance to look at the guide on XDA? It's very easy to reflash this:

1. I used a Windows 7 computer, as my Windows 8 laptop didn't see the device correctly,
2. Download and install Java and the Novacom drivers on this computer.
3. Put the ACMEInstaller5E installer files into the Palm, Inc folder where the Novacom drivers installed.
4. Download a new Evervolve package and the gapps package from Post #3 and extract them to your PC.
5. Connect the TouchPad to your PC with the USB cable and place it into USB Drive Mode(WebOS) or MTP mode(Android).
6. Download and run the batch files from post #1 and run the file to install.
7. Once complete disconnect your TouchPad from the USB cable.

Follow their guide or watch the videos for more specific details, but you should be able to walk through it.

I'm looking over it now. I'll see where I can get. Is there a seperate WebOS and Android section or is it just the Android? When I was logged into googe pla it found apps and said it wuld install, but the only device it would detect was my galaxy S3. I coulnd't find anywhere else to to go to download or add a device to my account. (I was logged into my google account).

Just out of curiosity if someone has moderate knowledge of using a galaxy s3 & S4 should this be pretty similar?

Any update? Please remember I am very willing to help solve this issue.

Back