Android App Locks Your Phone If You Use It Too Much

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
SMartphone apps and games are designed to be addictive, and the addiction is becoming a problem. Scientists have been researching chemical imbalances in the brain to find an underlying causes, and designers have been making "substitute phones" to try and help people who are addicted to smartphone use. Now XDA is reporting that there is a new app for Android called "Lock Me Out" to help. The app can lock your phone for a predetermined time, 7pm to 9pm while you're at a movie, or monitor your phone usage, and lock you out automatically for a predetermined interval between 15 minutes and 3 hours.

Sounds like a great idea to me. You can call me old if you like (I'm 35), but I hate going anywhere now and seeing nothing but people with their faces buried in a phone. Even at a restaurant you can find a party of 6, each one of them in their own little digital world. Also, get off my lawn!

Lock Me Out does its job as a tool to curb smartphone addiction as it effectively cuts off access to smartphones. To give an analogy, this is equivalent to switching off the Internet connection on a device when a user requires no distraction from the Internet. In this way, it works, and it works well.

How very American, lol.. i mean truly an epitomy.
(and my sincere apologies if that offends, but honestly now, admit it).

First we build it around the fallacy..illusion..myopia.. of consumerism; and its entailing """freedom"""(tm).
Then we shape our culture around it. All the way; used to be the Italians bothered us and what we've got now (lobbies, corps, etc.) makes the mob look like children stealing candy.
Then, when we see people being focused -in extremely unhealthy levels- on said consumerism (that we induced mind) and all its side-effects, what do we do?
We make an app that prevents the retardation's actual effects, while allowing the very said same spirit that was the actual cause live on; ie letting the actual retardation continue. Albeit checked. How else will we keep consuming!?
An app that literally prevents you to do what you want.

Again..
You buy a smart phone to use its apps, for which you now get an app to stop you from using its apps that you actually paid for in the first place.
Fuck me.

And i do love the country. And the people. But seriously, sometimes it's like that Bowie song, afraid of Americans, lol

*btw no, am not some leftie/contemporary liberal pounding on the 'system' or what not. Am in fact the exact opposite. But logic is logic, even when it hurts. And you know this is gonna be downloaded, people will run it.

The only possible use for this that I could see is maybe parents locking kids out of their phones for whatever reason. If anyone is old enough that they bought their own phone and pay for their own service and think they need this, then they're pathetic.

Reminds me of a trip I did with 6 other guys last year. At a restaurant at an MTB resort, everyone had their phone out looking at it while we waited for the food. No one talking. I had to tell them to look at themselves and put their phones away. They were like a bunch of high school girls.

I can only see this being useful if you could somehow lock other peoples phones when they are around you (similar to a jammer, only legally). If you are using this for yourself, then you are already of the mindset that there is might be a problem and are trying to correct it. The people that REALLY need it and REALLY have a problem will likely never use it as they lack the self discipline and control to do so effectively.

SMartphone apps and games are designed to be addictive, and the addiction is becoming a problem. Scientists have been researching chemical imbalances in the brain to find an underlying causes, and designers have been making "substitute phones" to try and help people who are addicted to smartphone use. Now XDA is reporting that there is a new app for Android called "Lock Me Out" to help. The app can lock your phone for a predetermined time, 7pm to 9pm while you're at a movie, or monitor your phone usage, and lock you out automatically for a predetermined interval between 15 minutes and 3 hours.

Sounds like a great idea to me. You can call me old if you like (I'm 35), but I hate going anywhere now and seeing nothing but people with their faces buried in a phone. Even at a restaurant you can find a party of 6, each one of them in their own little digital world. Also, get off my lawn!

Lock Me Out does its job as a tool to curb smartphone addiction as it effectively cuts off access to smartphones. To give an analogy, this is equivalent to switching off the Internet connection on a device when a user requires no distraction from the Internet. In this way, it works, and it works well.

I've always wondered why those groups of people at lunch with their faces stuck to their phones bothered going to lunch together. I'm way older than you are (65) and it just seems pure stupid to spend your time on your phone when you're visiting with someone. If I'm at lunch with my friend(s) and I get a call, I'll check to see if it's from the wifey (she's got medical issues), if not, I decline to answer the call (if it's important they'll leave a voice mail).

I know I'm an outlier, but I almost never need the info from the web immediately. I have no problem waiting till I get home to look up what I needed/wanted. I've had my smart phone for ~3 years now and the only time I connect to the internet (approximately once a month via WIFI) is to do app updates. I don't bother enabling cellular data since I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan and enjoy only paying around $70 a year for my service.

Ignoring the old people yelling at clouds and change, this is indeed stupid if it fully locks your phone.

Cue first emergency were you can't do shit because you locked your own phone entirely.

You want eyes not sticking out of your head and lips that look like they are sewn shut also talking aloud in Public this is the app for you.

I've always wondered why those groups of people at lunch with their faces stuck to their phones bothered going to lunch together. I'm way older than you are (65) and it just seems pure stupid to spend your time on your phone when you're visiting with someone. If I'm at lunch with my friend(s) and I get a call, I'll check to see if it's from the wifey (she's got medical issues), if not, I decline to answer the call (if it's important they'll leave a voice mail).

I know I'm an outlier, but I almost never need the info from the web immediately. I have no problem waiting till I get home to look up what I needed/wanted. I've had my smart phone for ~3 years now and the only time I connect to the internet (approximately once a month via WIFI) is to do app updates. I don't bother enabling cellular data since I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan and enjoy only paying around $70 a year for my service.

So you always have something to talk about 100% of the time? Ive been out with friends who I have known for 20+ years and we just didnt have anything to say at the moment. Perfectly acceptable to check your phone in one of those pauses as long as you put it down when the conversation resumes.

I am the same on the phone calls. Nobody takes phone calls anymore anyway ;)

This gives me an idea that all phones should just disable all non-emergency functions or apps,
except for google maps or similar for the driver of any vehicle while it's moving above 5-10mph.

How very American, lol.. i mean truly an epitomy.
(and my sincere apologies if that offends, but honestly now, admit it).

First we build it around the fallacy..illusion..myopia.. of consumerism; and its entailing """freedom"""(tm).
Then we shape our culture around it. All the way; used to be the Italians bothered us and what we've got now (lobbies, corps, etc.) makes the mob look like children stealing candy.
Then, when we see people being focused -in extremely unhealthy levels- on said consumerism (that we induced mind) and all its side-effects, what do we do?
We make an app that prevents the retardation's actual effects, while allowing the very said same spirit that was the actual cause live on; ie letting the actual retardation continue. Albeit checked. How else will we keep consuming!?
An app that literally prevents you to do what you want.

Again..
You buy a smart phone to use its apps, for which you now get an app to stop you from using its apps that you actually paid for in the first place.
Fuck me.

And i do love the country. And the people. But seriously, sometimes it's like that Bowie song, afraid of Americans, lol

*btw no, am not some leftie/contemporary liberal pounding on the 'system' or what not. Am in fact the exact opposite. But logic is logic, even when it hurts. And you know this is gonna be downloaded, people will run it.
It's a fact: Murkins are stupid.

They've been created that way...

The only possible use for this that I could see is maybe parents locking kids out of their phones for whatever reason. If anyone is old enough that they bought their own phone and pay for their own service and think they need this, then they're pathetic.
Didja forget how you were as a kid? They'll have that shit bypassed in 2 seconds.

Nah, you're not. I'm. 57, and I do the exact same thing. Except I answer threads on the [H] during downtime.

So you always have something to talk about 100% of the time? Ive been out with friends who I have known for 20+ years and we just didnt have anything to say at the moment. Perfectly acceptable to check your phone in one of those pauses as long as you put it down when the conversation resumes.

It's called "the art of conversation". It used to be considered rude to do such things in company.

But, then again, today's Americans are selfish, rude, boorish people without a lick of politeness in them.

Works great until you need to use the phone to... gasp... make an emergency phone call and are locked out of it. XD

It's called "the art of conversation". It used to be considered rude to do such things in company.

But, then again, today's Americans are selfish, rude, boorish people without a lick of politeness in them.
Thankfully not all of us Americans are like that.

Reactions: Aenra
like this
It seems stupid at first glance but some people need a crutch, to sit an bitch about someone creating a crutch when there's demand.. just as silly.

I have no problem engaging people using a phone, maybe the topic is boring? I don't care if people look at shit when the topic isn't interesting atm. This isn't a 'murica exclusive thing either, it's definitely more generational(is info awareness a generation?). Being present is important.. but come on.

I've almost always got something to talk about when I'm with my friend(s) at lunch. Techie stuff (embedded programming related), bashing Windows 10, TV shows, movies, crappy California politics, yada, yada, yada......

I'm older than him, live alone and spend the evening doing this shit, god help me. :(

eDt3Qy5.jpg

It's a fact: Murkins are stupid. They've been created that way...

A common misonception and one i do not share in the slightest.
Do not mix a culture's imperatives with the actual potential of any a people. Major error.

(and historically proven to be of dire consequences)

Please nigga you are saying this as if people didn't do similar shit with newspapers and the like way before this, it has always been a thing.

Do a search and you can find old timey pictures of that crap, sure In parties and the like one is always expected to be focused on, but for lunch if there wasn't some point specific to discuss it has always been perfectly acceptable to read a bit or whatever while having a bite.

Back