Android 9 Pie Has Been Released and Packs a Ton of New Features

Kinda bitchy aren't you? Let me guess, you are here to report on how Apple is simply the greatest because X, Y, and Z...I left Apple very recently and I'm glad for it. They can't fix simple bugs on their "latest and greatest".

Maybe my experiences on this forum have made me a bit hard on Android users. You should try being a happy Apple owner on this forum, it’s a challenge.

However, I stand by what I say. The statistics for android OS deployment are a complete shambles.

Maybe my experiences on this forum have made me a bit hard on Android users. You should try being a happy Apple owner on this forum, it’s a challenge.

However, I stand by what I say. The statistics for android OS deployment are a complete shambles.

The Android/Apple battle is very annoying. I agree that Android didn't cut the deal that Apple made and now their software is heavily fragmented. I happily own a 12.9" IPP and I love that. I switched my phone to Pixel 2XL because my 7+ was just riddled with problems and I wanted a change of scenery as they say.

"The new feature that caught my eye was the many ways that your interactions with your phone will involve machine learning (ML) in the future. The neural AI will learn what you use the most, and which apps correspond to certain actions, so it can have those highlighted and at the ready. "

Thought google didn't know enough about you? Android 9. Now with more complete behavioral profiling! Advertisers, line up!!

They actually added lots of new privacy and security features, including lots of restrictions on apps. The "machine learning" they stated however all take place on the phone, not in the cloud etc.

[H] Android Fanbois: "Apple cuts support and has forced obsolesce to devices that are 4 years old...omg sheeple"

Also [H] Android Fanbois (who own a brand new shiny S9): "Don't really need updates anyway, I happily get crapped on because Apple"

They actually added lots of new privacy and security features, including lots of restrictions on apps. The "machine learning" they stated however all take place on the phone, not in the cloud etc.

Not quite sure what your point is? With each successive Android, the base system has been designed to give more and more usage data away, both to google and to app devs. So fine, ML itself happens locally. But since Pie adds more/new Advanced Telemetry (that you'll notice you have no option to deny), since it details app usage, process statistics, etc, it doesn't really matter that the ML happened locally because the result is you being served the "app you are most likely to need to use" which you then use, which then supplies its telemetry back to "google cloud" which brings us back to more complete behavioral profiling, which brings us back to ad business getting more lucrative and more invasive.

We are the product. We always have been
And i agree that Android...isn't great. Samsung makes it much much worse.
I have an Essential phone and an S8
The Essential is sooo fast compared to the S8, but its camera (or camera software) sucks,so I go back to the S8
i have the Essential now on 9 and its running great. Camera is even better, so kinda thinking of switching back

As for Apple...i hate iOS...not the hardware itself, just the OS. Its shite, android is shite
Bring back Windows Phone

:D

Not quite sure what your point is? With each successive Android, the base system has been designed to give more and more usage data away, both to google and to app devs. So fine, ML itself happens locally. But since Pie adds more/new Advanced Telemetry (that you'll notice you have no option to deny), since it details app usage, process statistics, etc, it doesn't really matter that the ML happened locally because the result is you being served the "app you are most likely to need to use" which you then use, which then supplies its telemetry back to "google cloud" which brings us back to more complete behavioral profiling, which brings us back to ad business getting more lucrative and more invasive.

My point was exactly what I stated in reply to the post I quoted. I however am not sure what your point is.

Still stuck on Nougat on my Axon 7. Waiting for the Oreo update, which should be released sometime this month, if the rumors are true...

Awesome. I'll be getting this on my unlocked Samsung flagship Galaxy S9+...

*punches calculator, scribbles down formulas, updates excel spreadsheet*

... never.
You’ll get it, in 2020 and it’ll break everything on the phone. It won’t be announced either!

The Essential is sooo fast compared to the S8, but its camera (or camera software) sucks,so I go back to the S8
i have the Essential now on 9 and its running great. Camera is even better, so kinda thinking of switching back

If only the camera gave you some manual options. I really miss the ability to set ISO, shutter length, and so on, that I had with my moto G5S +.

The whole "Pie" name, not digging it. I was thinking Popsicle would have been a better choice this time out, I know a lot of folks were hoping for Popcorn but that's not really a dessert by most standards. Oh well, I'll never see it on my older devices since I use older stuff, and unfortunately the primary device I use these days will never have an unlocked bootloader so, bleh, phone manufacturers SUCK. :D

The real interesting thing will be what they do with the letter Q...

You’ll get it, in 2020 and it’ll break everything on the phone. It won’t be announced either!

If I had a compatible S9 model I'd install LineageOS before even using it the first time.

Samsung's stock ROM's are garbage.

It's not on Pie yet, but it probsbly will be before stock ROM's.

I've had pie on my first gen Pixel since yesterday, and I really don't like it much.

The new auto brightness and auto battery features might turn out to have a positive effect on battery life, not sure yet, but in just about every other way, I liked Nougat and Oreo better.

The new app switcher is really annoying. I don't care for the new more colorful themes on things like the settings menu, and the new icons on the status bar, and I doubt I'll ever have any interest in gestures.

I'm shielded from most of it beause I run Nova Launcher, but I really wish I could revert back to the old switcher

My point was exactly what I stated in reply to the post I quoted. I however am not sure what your point is.

Oh sorry. Let me rephrase. What is your point? You've listed bullet points from the release notes without providing any comments or discussion.

This is the first Android update I've gotten I didn't like

The app switcher sucks. Switching back one app is on par with getting an airshot headshot in terms of difficulty. Switching back two is only slightly better.

The system UI tuner is gone unless you have Nova and they removed my seconds from the clock on the notifications bar without me asking.

I'm shielded from most of it beause I run Nova Launcher, but I really wish I could revert back to the old switcher

This is the first Android update I've gotten I didn't like

The app switcher sucks. Switching back one app is on par with getting an airshot headshot in terms of difficulty. Switching back two is only slightly better.

The system UI tuner is gone unless you have Nova and they removed my seconds from the clock on the notifications bar without me asking.

I found this thread on Reddit suggesting the changes to the switcher are part of the Pixel Launcher, not Pie itself and can be disabled using a simple ADB command.

In going to try it tonight when I get home.

If it's part of the Pixel Launcher, I find it odd that it doesn't disappeared when I switch to Nova...

The real interesting thing will be what they do with the letter Q...

Well, it's a given that some folks would prefer Android 10 Quim but obviously that'll never happen. :)

It will be interesting to see what they eventually choose, probably Quiche.

Well, it's a given that some folks would prefer Android 10 Quim but obviously that'll never happen. :)

It will be interesting to see what they eventually choose, probably Quiche.

I have no idea what Quim is, but Quiche is always savory and never a dessert :p

They used it in Avengers: Age of Ultron. :p (relevant moment happens at about 3:11)

Back