Android 7.0 Nougat Tipped For August Release

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is Nougat landing next month? @evleaks and testing build leaks would suggest so. With the new Nexus phones coming in the fall, this would also be a sensible timeframe for the latest (and hopefully greatest) Android to drop.

…there are further signs of an impending stable release, as one Nexus 6P owner on Reddit appears to have inadvertently received an over-the-air update to an internal Google testing build. Poster Brian Moyano received the 49MB OTA when attempting to revert back to the Marshmallow from the Nougat developer preview; instead of going back to Android 6.0.1, it pushed him to 7.0, build NRD90M. The "R" in that build number means it's on the "release" branch (as opposed to P for preview), suggesting it's almost ready for prime time.

I bet my Nexus 7.2 is done for the update train. At least it got Marshmallow.

With the way Lenovo has treated Motorola I'm curious if my Moto X Pure will ever get it.

Gotta love Nexus devices. With a handful of exceptions (ie possibly certain OnePlus devices) there aren't many others that have the easy to mod unlockable bootloader, clean "pure" ROMs without manufacturer or provider garbage, fastest and most compatible upgrades, and complete Android Open Source Project (AOSP) compatibility. My Nexus 6 is still thumping along and I'm sure it will be upgraded to Nougat upon release , but I am curious what the next generation will bring, both for handheld devices and for tablets.

I just got Marshmallow a month ago on my Note 5......

I'm not so sure being 'stuck' at Marshmallow is all that bad of a place to be in. Due to the rom support for it, Marshmallow alone saved my LG G3 from being a crippled flagship and turned it into a very nice, smooth beast of a device... like it should have been with the specs it was shipped with.

Still waiting for marshmallow on my priv, this is the only complaint I have about android, the carriers and developers take forever to update.

Still using kitkat on my galaxy S4! I have an LG G4 I need to start using that I've locked to lollipop so I can keep root. Since I'm on Verizon my options are seriously limited for rootable devices.

Been running the beta since it was made avail for my Nexus5X. is really good. The deepDoze is <3. Splitscreen seems gimmicky. there are alot of nice bits to 7

Still using kitkat on my galaxy S4! I have an LG G4 I need to start using that I've locked to lollipop so I can keep root. Since I'm on Verizon my options are seriously limited for rootable devices.

When it comes to versions, if I can't be on Marshmallow, I'd rather be on KitKat. Being on KK isn't a bad thing. Although the S4 does have excellent Rom support by this point... and since Verizon authenticates entirely via SIM, even for CDMA, you're safe in throwing custom roms on your device. It's only Sprint (and its prepaid arms) that still use NVRam for CDMA Auth.

Been running the beta since it was made avail for my Nexus5X. is really good. The deepDoze is <3. Splitscreen seems gimmicky. there are alot of nice bits to 7

Yea, waiting until it hits AOSP to bother with it on my Nexus 6. #whiteuismustdie.

Oh nice, It is already that time of the year where I get to upgrade my old Gnex to the latest and greatest while feeling sorry for those with newer phones with locked boot loaders.

Yet another Android release that LG and AT&T will skip for existing phone owners...

Sadly, the only android phones that are worth getting are the Nexus.

It took me 3 highway robberies (Eris, Droid X and Note 3) to understand this.

The preview has been rock solid on my Pixel C for months. Multi-window support is a real killer feature for larger tablets.

When can I build my own tablet and load Android? Desktops too, what the hell...
A dual boot Linux + Android desktop would be a sweet deal... roll vulkan in for real graphics or whatvever :/

When can I build my own tablet and load Android? Desktops too, what the hell...
A dual boot Linux + Android desktop would be a sweet deal... roll vulkan in for real graphics or whatvever :/

You can compile for any old hardware today. Problem is simply driver support...other problem is that, quite honestly, compiling AOSP is a bit of a PITA because Google's AOSP repos are half-assed TBH. It isn't just something of typing a few commands and let it cook for an hour and come back.

You can compile for any old hardware today. Problem is simply driver support...other problem is that, quite honestly, compiling AOSP is a bit of a PITA because Google's AOSP repos are half-assed TBH. It isn't just something of typing a few commands and let it cook for an hour and come back.
Yeah, I have done some digging, seen some videos of what you speak.. Its above me.. specially typically you can almost guarantee problems.. but it seems fairly close to be something way more accesible, IF google gets its butt in gear, and makes it so, and compiles or even makes drivers.
I think is makes sense for market growth for them.. it might be a loss money wise, but I think it makes sense.. more than risking billions in the Nest or some other billion-dollar shit.

What's next, Smores? Graham crackers?
Android follows a VERY well know naming strategy. The build letter (and we are now on N) is then used as the 1st letter of a desert/sweet.
So the next build, due in about a year will start with O and could be Oreo (except tradename issues)

Ive actually seen that.. it all looks... incomplete/under works.. is it good? (looked at that, and other stuff to modify a tablet I have too)
All im's saying is for Google to do it.
I have Project Fi.. let me tell you.. best cellular customer service EVER (so far of course).
Seems Google can do customer service.. I am sure they can do what it take to get their OS in the manner we seem to be getting at.
You are right I suppose, I should jump in for my next build.
I used a linux distro recommended here a while ago.. excellent distro purchased it twice, computer died though.
Many software recommended here I have used, always excellent... I assume you recommend this?

Ive actually seen that.. it all looks... incomplete/under works.. is it good? (looked at that, and other stuff to modify a tablet I have too)
All im's saying is for Google to do it.
I have Project Fi.. let me tell you.. best cellular customer service EVER (so far of course).
Seems Google can do customer service.. I am sure they can do what it take to get their OS in the manner we seem to be getting at.
You are right I suppose, I should jump in for my next build.
I used a linux distro recommended here a while ago.. excellent distro purchased it twice, computer died though.
Many software recommended here I have used, always excellent... I assume you recommend this?

...you purchased a distro?

Yep.. no I am not THAT stupid hehe .... its for supporting them.. giving them the minimal 10$ they ask for their 'supported' distro.. its more to give them the money as you can download a free version of course.

Zorin OS - Tour
This one was recommended here in passing in a post (as many other software, I take from recommendations done in passing in the forums here)
Liked it better than Mint, Cinnamon, Ubuntu, Kubuntu or whatever else I tried before in the now dead computer.

Didn't want to start a new Nexus 7 thread, but this one is closely related enough.

Looks like the Nexus will get a Nexus Specific launcher instead of the Google Now Launcher. I don't know if HTC is the one building it instead of Google.

The Nexus apk has been leaked.

Didn't want to start a new Nexus 7 thread, but this one is closely related enough.

Looks like the Nexus will get a Nexus Specific launcher instead of the Google Now Launcher. I don't know if HTC is the one building it instead of Google.

The Nexus apk has been leaked.

Yeah all Nexus devices that take Android 7 should be getting that launcher. I doubt HTC is building it, but in any case I'm glad that the persistent Google search bar at the top of the homescreen will finally slide out of the way (AFAIK the only way to get rid of it presently is with root).

that launcher is for new nexus devices not present nexus devices that can take Android-7

Back