And they still wonder why linux isn't more popular.

Also being Microsoft they can (and did) made the version from back when it was not fully retro-compatible included into the Windows installer, which make somewhat sure that it will not be an issue.

The app was Angry IP Scanner. In spite of all the help here I never did get it to work.

Dependencies should be invisible and handled behind the scenes. If the user has to get involved with them it's a deal breaker.
That is on the app maker then, not the OS, for doing a crappy app package or not having it distributed in common repo's. I have the main repo's and AUS repo's and anygry IP does not show up. I do wonder why so many apps still want people to download a .deb / rpm /tar.gz file these days....seems a little, stuck in the past.

That is on the app maker then, not the OS, for doing a crappy app package or not having it distributed in common repo's. I have the main repo's and AUS repo's and anygry IP does not show up. I do wonder why so many apps still want people to download a .deb / rpm /tar.gz file these days....seems a little, stuck in the past.
Because it's a pain to package it for every fucking distro. A lot of the time these guys are solo, and typically you're lucky if they get support on Debian, Ubuntu that's on Canonical and screw them.

That's the general attitude on Linux.

Is it really that hard to install a .deb? You can do it via the GUI and it's still managed by the package manager:

471fCaT.png

B2OrN3X.png

ALIr7fB.png

Just installed the .deb of Angry IP Scanner on the Pi400 not a problem in the world. Download the .deb installer, open the .deb installer, the package manager does the rest no different to Windows:

QpcUeNN.png

Nlz3aPc.png

Lol, no kidding. I download .deb files all the time to install. People keep telling me not to, but it's a windows habit.
There's nothing wrong with a .deb, don't listen to the purists. A .deb is no different to a .msi under Windows or a .dmg under MacOS and is still installed using the operating system's package manager.

There's nothing wrong with a .deb, don't listen to the purists. A .deb is no different to a .msi under Windows or a .dmg under MacOS and is still installed using the operating system's package manager.
Unless I'm mistaken, when I sudo apt install a program, it does so from a downloaded deb file, no?

No, apt is another form of package management. Essentially another method of software installation.
No, no, I know. I meant, when I run that and it has many updates to do it always downloads the files and then installs. Is it downloading a deb file and then running it or just whatever files need updating from within that program?

No, no, I know. I meant, when I run that and it has many updates to do it always downloads the files and then installs. Is it downloading a deb file and then running it or just whatever files need updating from within that program?
Apt will be pulling updated libraries and dependencies as well as the actual software directly from the Ubuntu repositories or the PPA that was added at the time the software was installed using apt. Deb is software that's actually packaged into a convenient installer, generally software installed as a .deb doesn't update along with system updates.

Apt will be pulling updated libraries and dependencies as well as the actual software directly from the Ubuntu repositories or the PPA that was added at the time the software was installed using apt. Deb is software that's actually packaged into a convenient installer, generally software installed as a .deb doesn't update along with system updates.
Noted, thanks!

Instead of searching for Angry IP Scanner search for ipscan. It showed up for me from the AUR, I installed it through the package manager and it works fine on Manjaro. A quick download, fast build and it was done in a few seconds. I fired it up, let it scan my local network and finished the scan in 14 seconds. Not a single issue with it.

I also did an 'apt-cache search ipscan' and it's available in the Ubuntu repositories to be installed via apt.

Instead of searching for Angry IP Scanner search for ipscan. It showed up for me from the AUR, I installed it through the package manager and it works fine on Manjaro. A quick download, fast build and it was done in a few seconds. I fired it up, let it scan my local network and finished the scan in 14 seconds. Not a single issue with it.

OK, but it makes no sense. The name of the program is Angry IP Scanner, not ipscan. :confused:

OK, but it makes no sense. The name of the program is Angry IP Scanner, not ipscan. :confused:
I don't disagree with you, that it you shouldn't have to guess at a naming scheme to install something, but on GitHub (quick google) it lists it as angryip and ipscan.

Either way, you aren't wrong that it should be named something resembling itself. But that's on the developer.

https://github.com/angryip/ipscan

It's indispensable for me. Gotta have it. When I couldn't get it to install in Manjaro I dumped it and went back to Mint. I believe you need to DL the .deb file to install it on Mint but however it's done it's not difficult.

The clue is in the .deb download, it's called 'ipscan'.

It's indispensable for me. Gotta have it. When I couldn't get it to install in Manjaro I dumped it and went back to Mint. I believe you need to DL the .deb file to install it on Mint but however it's done it's not difficult.
You should also be able to open terminal and enter 'sudo apt install ipscan'.

Unless I'm mistaken, when I sudo apt install a program, it does so from a downloaded deb file, no?
Yes, that is exactly what happens.
If you're asking whether the software downloaded from a Debian-based repository is packaged in "deb" format, then the answer is yes. That includes any and all dependencies, whether it's a single library or meta-package. Apt doesn't download and install individual files that reside outside of packages. (Technically, apt doesn't install anything; it invokes dpkg, which is the backend that does the heavy lifting.)

A locally downloaded .deb isn't any different from packages hosted on the official repositories. It might not be trustworthy, but the package format is the same. Debian packages are just archives with some additional metadata files (e.g. "control"). A number of command-line tools are available to inspect, manipulate, and create .deb packages — some might argue too many. Any decent GUI archive manager can read .deb archives too (7-zip works on Windows).
Code:
dpkg-deb --contents /path/to/package.deb
dpkg --install /path/to/package.deb
Although these links point to Debian's documentation, most of the information should apply to Debian derivatives as well:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/pkgtools.en.html
Also worth mentioning: The Debian Administrator's Handbook (Bullseye [Debian 11.x] is stable as of this writing, so the handbook looks to be a version behind.)

Yes, that is exactly what happens.

If you're asking whether the software downloaded from a Debian-based repository is packaged in "deb" format, then the answer is yes. That includes any and all dependencies, whether it's a single library or meta-package. Apt doesn't download and install individual files that reside outside of packages. (Technically, apt doesn't install anything; it invokes dpkg, which is the backend that does the heavy lifting.)

A locally downloaded .deb isn't any different from packages hosted on the official repositories. It might not be trustworthy, but the package format is the same. Debian packages are just archives with some additional metadata files (e.g. "control"). A number of command-line tools are available to inspect, manipulate, and create .deb packages — some might argue too many. Any decent GUI archive manager can read .deb archives too (7-zip works on Windows).
Code:
dpkg-deb --contents /path/to/package.deb
dpkg --install /path/to/package.deb
Although these links point to Debian's documentation, most of the information should apply to Debian derivatives as well:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/pkgtools.en.html
Also worth mentioning: The Debian Administrator's Handbook (Bullseye [Debian 11.x] is stable as of this writing, so the handbook looks to be a version behind.)
Thanks for this!

This thread has turned out to be quite a plethora of information

i must say, with the latest round of updates Konsole under KDE Neon really is fully featured. There's even the ability to add all of your frequently used (or easily forgotten) commands in the terminal software itself:

19618dW.png

Attachments

• K7cQKWe.png
    K7cQKWe.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Back