.....and now I need aftermarket cooling.....

Evoic

Gawd
Now that I have an idea as to how hard I can safely push my 7900GTX, I'd like to add an aftermarket cooling solution as an extra line of defense.

I don't game, I won't over-volt, and no physical modifications to increase performance will be made to the card.

I simply want to keep the temps low at all times.

....or as low as possible without going to water-cooling.

I was all ready to go and pull the trigger on a VF900-Cu, and then I saw some extremely good reviews of the Thermalright V1 and V1 Ultra.

Can anyone shed some light on the best choice and why?

The pricepoints will be similar, but it seems as if the size of the V1 may be prohibitive.

If the cooling is head and shoulders above the VF900, I may be willing to overlook the size and make some changes in the case to accommodate the monster.

Advice?

All I can offer is my experience with the V1...it's a good cooler, but it is big.

I would not hesitate to buy another if the need for an after market cooler arises..

If its the big heat piped stock cooler with the 80mm fan, I wouldnt bother.

Why would you even want to push your card if you don't game? Do you do something else 3d intensive? Overclocking your card wont give you any better 2d performance at all.

hello evoic.. i use v900's personally but im sure teh v1 is just as good or better since it prob exhausts the air out the case instead of into the case like the v900.. if you have side fan it shouldn't matter but if not might want v1.. never used it tho so no idea ill start buying v1's if i hear they are better than v900 but i havent yet so..

I'm a benchmark junkie.....that's the only reason for pushing the card.
It's never for any 24/7 applications - simply my own O.C.D. for wanting to know what the numbers are.

In addition to that, even more than the numbers, I want to make sure that all of my components are cooled properly under load, even if only for brief periods of time.

The more I look at it, the more I think the size of the V-1 is just too much to overcome.

Having said that, I'm also not thrilled with the idea of the VF900 blowing the warm exhaust back into the case.

For reference, this is my current stock cooling:

1a-resize.jpg

3a-resize.jpg

That looks to be at least as good, if not better than the V1...

And honestly, if benches are all your interested in.. to really push them your going to need to w/c to see a measurable difference....

Back