Anandtech: Xbox at E3 2019: Xbox Project Scarlett Console Launching Holiday 2020

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Not exactly a huge Surprise. Next Xbox is launching Holiday 2020, with a Zen 2/Navi based SoC with HW Ray Tracing, just like PS5. Basically everything about the PS5 HW seems to Apply to Scarlett.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14519/xbox-at-e3-xbox-project-scarlet-console-launching-holiday-2020
Xbox One X is still based on Jaguar CPUs, which are a limiting factor, and adding Zen 2 is going to be an incredible step up in CPU performance, which has been the limiting factor of the Xbox One X. Coupling that with a Navi based GPU with hardware based Ray Tracing should provide a level of fidelity far above even the Xbox One X. Microsoft’s target for Project Scarlett was announced as 120 FPS (which we assume is at 4K) but also variable refresh rate, and support for up to 8K on the hardware. Microsoft states this console will be four times more powerful than the Xbox One X.
D8plNBWUYAA4EAY.jpg

Zen 2 is going to be an incredible step up in CPU performance, which has been the limiting factor of the Xbox One X
So the Jaguar CPU has been the biggest bottleneck in modern consoles - hmm, where have I heard that before... :ROFLMAO:

https://hardforum.com/threads/ps5-n...-8-to-12gb-of-ram-says-hellpoint-dev.1974601/

https://hardforum.com/threads/playstation-5-rumored-to-sport-ryzen-8-core-cpu-cost-500.1971933/

https://hardforum.com/threads/assas...l-only-work-on-cpus-that-support-avx.1969260/

https://hardforum.com/threads/why-we-need-the-power-of-intels-next-gen-eight-core-cpus.1965165/

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-n...mage-quality-requires-7-4-tflops-gpu.1964211/

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-navi-made-for-sony-less-vega-for-you.1962384/

https://hardforum.com/threads/playstation-5-forecasted-for-2020-launch.1955227/

https://hardforum.com/threads/sorry...ds-will-only-hit-30fps-on-xbox-one-x.1949724/

https://hardforum.com/threads/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-one-x-enhancements.1942390/

https://hardforum.com/threads/is-amds-ryzen-cpu-the-game-changer-for-next-gen-consoles.1939356/

https://hardforum.com/threads/plays...ul-enough-to-run-destiny-2-at-60-fps.1934548/

https://hardforum.com/threads/sony-...rovements-possibly-for-playstation-5.1960852/ (my personal favourite)

I wouldn't just compare the GFLOPS rating, as floating point operations is only one part of the CPU (and GPU), and does not directly correlate with CPU performance in total, as integer functions and IPC both play a large factor.
This is one area where a synthetic benchmark can give a better rough guestimate or ballpark of where CPUs and GPUs fit next to one another performance-wise in general.

The best comparison I can attempt to give between Jaguar and Ryzen is this:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X-vs-AMD-GX-420CA-SOC/3001vs2121

Both the Ryzen 5 1500X and AMD GX-420CA are quad-cores, so we can do a nearly identical comparison of them, at least with IPC.
Please keep in mind that the synthetic benchmark's scores in the link above by itself doesn't mean anything specifically other than a placeholder for where each CPU falls performance-wise to one another.

The Ryzen 5 1500X quad-core @ 3.5GHz scored 10685.
The AMD GX-420CA (Jaguar) quad-core @ 2.0GHz scored 2299.

Now lets do the math on this!

So, if we want an apples-to-apples GHz to GHz comparison, we want to bring the Ryzen 5 1500X down to 2.0GHz as well, along with the score itself:
2.0 ÷ 3.5 = ~0.571428571
(3.5 is roughly 57% faster than 2.0)

Now, we want to take the score of the Ryzen 5 1500X and bring it down in the same manner:
~0.571428571 x 10685 = 6106 (rounding up from a long decimal)
(lowering the Ryzen CPU's score by 57% as well to match the equally reduced clock speed to allow a direct comparison)

So, a Ryzen 5 1500X quad-core @ 2.0GHz would have a score of 6106.
How does this compare in IPC in general performance-wise to the AMD GX-420CA?

6106 ÷ 2299 = ~2.655937364

Thus, the general performance core-for-core and clock-for-clock for the Ryzen 5 1500X quad-core @ 2.0GHz would be roughly 2.66 times faster than the AMD GX-420CA quad-core @ 2.0GHz.

Now, I should state that these scores do not implicitly compare whetstone (floating point) or drystone (integer) operations or performance, and this is just a performance-in-general comparison.
Hope this helps! :D

I am kind of hoping Xbox Two kicks ass, and that Microsoft comes out swinging their lumber with a bevy of firstparty titles. Because, man, Xbox One's firstparty library left a lot of people wondering, left people searching for answers. Answers that never came.

This time I am on the Microsoft train 100% of the way. I am with them until they do something that makes me dislike them -- then I will leap off this train, I will leap away clear, and roll down the hillside and watch as it explodes, burns, and then falls into a river gorge.

Last edited:
Well hopefully they will continue with Windows in a box mentality so that the regular Xbox’s can still play games (just at lower resolution).

But, are we moving towards the cell phone model? A new release every year in the not too distant future? Xbox One X hasn’t even been on sale for 2 years now.

Well hopefully they will continue with Windows in a box mentality so that the regular Xbox’s can still play games (just at lower resolution).

But, are we moving towards the cell phone model? A new release every year in the not too distant future? Xbox One X hasn’t even been on sale for 2 years now.

The XBX (and the PS4 Pro, for that matter) were only released to make it possible to extend the generation a little bit.

The XBX (and the PS4 Pro, for that matter) were only released to make it possible to extend the generation a little bit.

I think the previous gen showed you can extend a gen out as far as you want. The Pro/X just let them get a bit more cash in between.

Gonna be awesome, can’t wait.

Finally reached the point where the consoles are coming out with SSD’s and legit gpu power,

Gonna be great.

I'm going to go with the "Xbox V".

Or maybe Nvidia's "Super" refresh branding will take off and we'll start seeing consoles with "Super" in their title again. Super Xbox.

no i don't think we've reached that point yet but i also don't think sony or microsoft expected the wide adoption that 4k has received over the last 2-3 years(i sure as heck didn't, who ever thought you could buy a 50"+ 4k tv for under 500 bucks). so the xbox one x and ps4 pro ended up just being stop gap upgrades. i think with the next generation of consoles they'll last much longer than the ps4/xbox one did though just because there's no way 8k will be anywhere close to affordable for the screen sizes where that resolution makes sense for the next 5-8 years so it'll be much easier to design around 4k being the standard.

I'm going to go with the "Xbox V".

Or maybe Nvidia's "Super" refresh branding will take off and we'll start seeing consoles with "Super" in their title again. Super Xbox.

nah just call it the Xbox II. short, simple and to the point.

It'll be called the neXtboX
:D
Too bad NeXTcube was already taken :cool:.
nah just call it the Xbox II. short, simple and to the point.
It would make no sense to call it the "Xbox II" or any variation of the number 2. The branding of "Xbox One" was due to its original planned purpose of being the 'One' device that connected to everything in your living room. They should keep the project name this time around and just call it Xbox Scarlett.

Too bad NeXTcube was already taken :cool:.

It would make no sense to call it the "Xbox II" or any variation of the number 2. The branding of "Xbox One" was due to its original planned purpose of being the 'One' device that connected to everything in your living room. They should keep the project name this time around and just call it Xbox Scarlett.

wait is that really what the "one" thing was suppose to be for? never actually knew that, lol.. to bad it never actually did that though.. all mine ended up being was an over priced bluray player til i got sick of collecting blurays.

wait is that really what the "one" thing was suppose to be for? never actually knew that, lol.. to bad it never actually did that though.. all mine ended up being was an over priced bluray player til i got sick of collecting blurays.

You were supposed to plug in your cable box to the HDMI in so it could control everything. But no one has cable boxes anymore.

There is some other cool stuff like the Xbox can send on/off/toggle commands through HDMI to your TV, Receiver, Cable box when the Xbox is turned on and off. So basically, turning on your controller will turn on all your equipment as well as log you in to Xbox Live.

Isn't it technically the 4th overall generation of xbox?
Xbox
360 (Had a few HW refreshes/versions)
One (S and X HW refreshes)
Two

The original Xbox One can still play newly released games right? And the cpu/gpu architecture is the same across One, One S, One X, just faster?

Confusing names for damn sure. Any word on backward compatibility?

I'm most curious about the HW ray tracing and how it will pull it off. I remember reading some rumors that the new consoles are using a more powerful version of Navi that won't be released until 2020.

I'm most curious about the HW ray tracing and how it will pull it off. I remember reading some rumors that the new consoles are using a more powerful version of Navi that won't be released until 2020.

If AMD had a more powerful version, they would be releasing it themselves in a discrete video card. I'm sure they have an idea of what they want Navi to look like in 2020, and that might find its way into consoles as "Holiday 2020" is a long way off.

Another lame duck presentation from MS. They will continue to not have any games next gen.

Another lame duck presentation from MS. They will continue to not have any games next gen.
Huh? They showed 60 games at last night's presentation, capped off with the Scarlett reveal. Microsoft has also been buying up studios left and right for the past couple years. It seems they recognize their mistakes this gen and are addressing them for the next.

Huh? They showed 60 games at last night's presentation, capped off with the Scarlett reveal. Microsoft has also been buying up studios left and right for the past couple years. It seems they recognize their mistakes this gen and are addressing them for the next.
They always buy up studios. Nothing has come of it. They close down as many as the they buy.

They always buy up studios. Nothing has come of it. They close down as many as the they buy.

Nothing has come of studios they picked up to bolster their lineup for the next generation. What a shock. Its almost like most of them already have in development projects that they need to finish first.

Disagree. I love flaming MS for their chronic underachieving, and some of their past E3's were really phoned in, but they did very well last night and Xbox Two sounds promising.

So, this Satya Nadella guy is doing what MS should've done back then with Xbox 360. I don't mean this news in particular, even though the new Xbox strategy seems obvious and well thought.

That said, I am willing to bet money I am only because we're deep into embrace territory. They almost seem like the good guys. Remember, though. Extend is coming. Followed by the big fat Extinguish her

Nothing has come of studios they picked up to bolster their lineup for the next generation. What a shock. Its almost like most of them already have in development projects that they need to finish first.
I am saying they been doing it since the original Xbox days. Them buying up studios is nothing new.

So, this Satya Nadella guy is doing what MS should've done back then with Xbox 360. I don't mean this news in particular, even though the new Xbox strategy seems obvious and well thought.

That said, I am willing to bet money I am only because we're deep into embrace territory. They almost seem like the good guys. Remember, though. Extend is coming. Followed by the big fat Extinguish her
Xbox is Phil Spencer's baby.

Am I on Arstechnica? I thought coming up with stupid names should have died about 2 years ago...

I am thinking his efforts could've been hindered by Ballmer. Xbox One was just silly. Or do I mix my timelines. Ah, never mind

Balmer and Don Mattrick. Basically previous Xbox and Microsoft leadership. After Mattrick “stepped down” they brought in Spencer and gave him a lot of room to try and fix things but only so much he could do with the system itself or their game situation at the time.

Reactions: dgz
like this
new consoles looking solid! but it's going to be a PS5 for me simply cause of "exclusives" like the last of us and horizon zero dawn, that and red dead 2 is only games i own on ps4 :p and i know both the last of us and hzd comes with a second title probs for the ps5. dont really favour one over the other but the games is what seals the deal for me, gears or halo just dont cut it for me that i know of anyway.

with that said it seems consoles suffer a bit from stretching to far, like 4k on today consoles is a bit of a joke really and they already talking about 8k and rey tracing. that and shitty peripherals :p

If these new consoles launch at the usual price of $499/$599, it's going to be a difficult choice between a one of them or PC upgrades offering similar performance for twice the price.

If this new Xbox really can do 60+FPS at 4K and VRR/FreeSync, I see no reason why it couldn't replace my desktop for gaming. Surely mouse and keyboard support is standard in most console games by now.

Back