Anandtech: Seagate Ships 16 TB PMR HDD

S-F

Gawd
The pace at which HDDs are increasing in size in astounding. Here I am thinking that my 8 TB drives are huge. These aren't HAMR either. I wonder when we'll see them in the wild and what they'll cost.

Link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1429...nts-of-16-tb-hard-drives-preps-18-tb-smr-hdds

"Continuing the march of progress in the HDD industry, Seagate has revealed that they have started shipping their 16 TB PMR hard drives. In a quarterly earnings call last week, the company reported that the drives have been shipping since late March, with current shipments coming ahead of high volume production of the drives. Seagate in turn expects to kick off mass production in the second half of 2019, and by Q2 2020 the new 16 TB drives will be its highest revenue SKU. What is particularly noteworthy here, besides the capacity of course, is that these drives do not use next-generation heat assisted magnetic recording (HAMR) technology. Instead, they're based around more contemporary perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR), which is being boosted by two-dimensional magnetic recording (TDMR)."

The pace at which HDDs are increasing in size in astounding. Here I am thinking that my 8 TB drives are huge. These aren't HAMR either. I wonder when we'll see them in the wild and what they'll cost.
"highest revenue SKU."
Alot, take whatever you're thinking and probably double it :p

The more common larger drives become, the cheaper the ones we want will become...hopefully
I would like some cheap 8TB drives :)

I'm sure they made some of the biggest steam engines right before everyone finally stopped using steam engines as well.

My 6tb Hitachi helium drives make so much noise I had to take all my games off the and use them for data drives. Changed the power setting to idle after a minute and the still make slate popcorn not as bad as actively using them for my Steam games. So I brought back my 3tb drives which are actually quiet.

That's fucking awesome. 16TB drive is massive. That's an entire NAS for most people.

I just want a cheap(ish) 4TB SSD at this point, that would be enough for me. The larger the drive the more problems and the harder it is to recover from them without data loss. The kinds of platter counts needed for 16TB and the complexity of the mechanics inside makes me weary at best.

Considering a 2 TB enterprise SSD is 6 thousand dollars.. I wonder how expensive those 16TB SAS drives will be.

I just want a cheap(ish) 4TB SSD at this point, that would be enough for me. The larger the drive the more problems and the harder it is to recover from them without data loss. The kinds of platter counts needed for 16TB and the complexity of the mechanics inside makes me weary at best.

I mean, it's kind of cheapish if we consider that 512GB SSDs were over $700 back in the Samsung 830/Crucial M4 days...

Pretty decent endurance rating, at that.

One such drive, Seagate’s new TLC-based IronWolf 110 SSD, is rated for just under 2TBW (TeraBytes Written) for every 1GB of capacity—two to four times the norm for a consumer drive. The endurance is indicative of the 110’s intended role in NAS boxes, where it’s bound to see heavier workloads, though the drive is also well suited for PC users who want above-average reliability.

I mean, it's kind of cheapish if we consider that 512GB SSDs were over $700 back in the Samsung 830/Crucial M4 days...

Pretty decent endurance rating, at that.
yeah I would qualify that as Cheapish, compared to the offerings from Dell, HP, and Lenovo for SSD's of that size. As last I checked they were unavailable but 2TB was running me in the $4K (CDN) price range. I really only need 2 for a raid 1 set to run an iTunes server off to either some iPad's or the Apple TV's having the wife and kid streaming stuff we already own is getting annoying.

Back