Anandtech: Intel Announces 8 Core i9-9900KS: Every Core at 5.0 GHz, All The Time

Well, guaranteed 5GHz is something new. Remember that most CPU SKUs are 'bins'. As in nearly all. You going to belittle AMD for their X series? That's less of a bump than this CPU.

I made 0 comments on amds x series because im not commenting on a amd thread where they bin one of there chips without telling how much they charge for the binning. and no its not something new you can buy "guaranteed" 5.1ghz 9900k chips from silicon lottery the only thing that changed is who does the binning.

I made 0 comments on amds x series because im not commenting on a amd thread where they bin one of there chips without telling how much they charge for the binning. and no its not something new you can buy "guaranteed" 5.1ghz 9900k chips from silicon lottery the only thing that changed is who does the binning.
That isn't officially a source though from intel. Nice troll. I can't believe all the whining about this!

That isn't officially a source though from intel. Nice troll. I can't believe all the whining about this!

did intel not annonce a 5ghz 8 core binned 9900k without the price? I was only commenting on that I dont care what else the anandtech article had to say as thats just farther analysis of the statment from intel.

For the consumer who will buy these CPUs? None. Enterprise hardware is in a completely different class

Performance crushing microcode and other patches appear to be going out to everyone, regardless of if their workload is impacted by the security vulnerabilities.

I'm not convinced AMD is safe from this either though. It seems to me it's only a matter of time until researchers find fault with any SMT implementation.

the price is the only part of this "news" that matters. showing it without a price is meaningless as we already know that quite a few 9900k can do 5ghz on 8 cores and you can already get a 9900k that can do 5ghz for 100 extra
Not an official one.

Performance crushing microcode and other patches appear to be going out to everyone, regardless of if their workload is impacted by the security vulnerabilities.

Agreed, my point is that they mostly affect enterprise workloads. Perhaps that will change with time, but with time, it'll be time to upgrade CPUs.

I'm not convinced AMD is safe from this either though. It seems to me it's only a matter of time until researchers find fault with any SMT implementation.

HT, out-of-order execution, and plenty of other techniques designed to extract instruction-level and thread-level parallelism and per-core performance are all targets; Intel's current architecture has been out there for the better part of a decade, AMD's is newer. But they're all targets of academia looking to prevent attacks and malicious actors looking to leverage vulnerabilities.

Fun part is that Intel has been working on fixing these longer, and there's no guarantee that something worse won't come out for either or both architectures.

Actually it is a true source from iNtel.
They're trying to drum up some pre-keynote Computex excitement since they got nothing else going on.

I want to know how they plan to get around the AVX heat wall. That was the limiting factor on my 8086K. They should offer optional microcode that cuts AVX rate in half or 3/4.

I'd rather have Intel's warranty.

even if it was $500 more then a silicon lottery chip? point being not to many comments can be made about the value of this news without the price. I stated that very early in this thread.

even if it was $500 more then a silicon lottery chip? point being not to many comments can be made about the value of this news without the price. I stated that very early in this thread.

I see that your only point is to provide negative speculations. Just to let you know: we got your point.

I want to know how they plan to get around the AVX heat wall. That was the limiting factor on my 8086K. They should offer optional microcode that cuts AVX rate in half or 3/4.

Wouldn't the AVX rate cut turn out worse performance than just downclocking a bin?

I'm sure they're not immune from some kind of attack vector. The big question is when it gets found and what the "fix" is. Until then it's a lot of guess work and "what if" speculation. Intel is the big target right now both due to their market dominance and the age of their tech.

This is the type of product I want, more so than a moar core chip with lower clocks. How ever, it looks like Intel may be pricing me out of this market, so I'll wait to see if AMD has any appreciable performance improvements for me to care about.

PCIe 4 is nice, but I don't plan on upgrading any time soon to utilize it, more lanes would be nice but thats a pricey increase in budget!

meh, need to know the TDP and the price for me to care. The announced 3rd gen Ryzen line is hella compelling. <500 USD for 12 cores, 24 threads (I'm more into general computing that max FPS hence the bias towards more cores) is amazing.

Because most here aren't interested in incremental iGPU gains.

So instead of discussing complete new architecture with new CPU cores (unknown perf gain) and new iGPU (~60%+ gains in just released benchmarks), you are more interested in discussing old technology which is just binning to a a 6% boost in all core boost speed?

If 60% is incremental, what does that make 6%?

So instead of discussing complete new architecture with new CPU cores (unknown perf gain) and new iGPU (~60%+ gains in just released benchmarks), you are more interested in discussing old technology which is just binning to a a 6% boost in all core boost speed?

If 60% is incremental, what does that make 6%?

60% better than shit is still shit and just gets them at Ryzen range. Couldn't be more boring.

The CPU cores are for the -U line, which is only slightly less boring.

So is this a response to AMD's Ryzen third generation family of CPU's and this is the best that Intel can come up with? 5Ghz does sound nice but a slightly higher binned i9 9900k is rather lacking innovation from a company that has been the leader of CPU's for many years is a joke.

Same old CPU but with a higher overclock that most likely will require exotic expensive cooling to keep the temperatures down. Even if this "new" i9 9900k can run 5Ghz on air I'm still not impressed.

So is this a response to AMD's Ryzen third generation family of CPU's and this is the best that Intel can come up with? 5Ghz does sound nice but a slightly higher binned i9 9900k is rather lacking innovation from a company that has been the leader of CPU's for many years is a joke.

Same old CPU but with a higher overclock that most likely will require exotic expensive cooling to keep the temperatures down. Even if this "new" i9 9900k can run 5Ghz on air I'm still not impressed.

In one of the many articles on the subject, Intel is quoted as saying "high-end air cooling"

Price and TDP? If this is a $500 chip at 125W, then we're dealing with a decent deal. If it is a $1000 chip running at 250W, then we know that Intel is stretching.

Price and TDP? If this is a $500 chip at 125W, then we're dealing with a decent deal. If it is a $1000 chip running at 250W, then we know that Intel is stretching.

It will be a premium on top of 9900K, which is already too expensive ( even more so now with Ryzen 3K series).

Intel doesn't need a binned, more expensive, even more niche CPU. They need significant price cuts on desktop CPUs.

It will be a premium on top of 9900K, which is already too expensive ( even more so now with Ryzen 3K series).

Intel doesn't need a binned, more expensive, even more niche CPU. They need significant price cuts on desktop CPUs.
Will Intel have to wear the "But we have better performance/$" title for a change? Wouldn't mind that, it's shaping up to be a nice time to be a consumer with a budget.

Will Intel have to wear the "But we have better performance/$" title for a change? Wouldn't mind that, it's shaping up to be a nice time to be a consumer with a budget.

I think chances of that are zero, but Intel already lost the retail desktop CPU market sales title last year at least with what we see from retailer reporting. If they keep this kind of price differential they could lose much more desktop market share.

9900K is a great CPU. It's still a great CPU today, but not at $500. It should drop to $399, and add a locked 9900 at $330.

That would make them MUCH more competitive.

Intel is damn lucky AMD doesn't have a 7nm APU ready, or they would start decimating the laptop market as well.

I agree that some price cuts and / or models are in order, and:

Intel is damn lucky AMD doesn't have a 7nm APU ready, or they would start decimating the laptop market as well.

I'd love to see what AMD could do with 7nm in the 15w ultrabook thermal envelope. Give me something that can do what an i7 8565U and MX150 do, but in a single socket. Trade the space for lower noise and a bigger battery, and hook me up a nice 120Hz 1080p IPS with VRR. Thanks!

Because it's a guarantee.
Because not every 9900k will do 5Ghz.
Because it'll do it with less voltage than yours.
Because marketing.

Now get out of my office.

Its not at all a guarantee. It CAN boost to 5Ghz IF the right conditions are met. You sure as heck aren't getting that boost off a lot of the non-Z boards because the VRMs and the cooling for the VRMs can't handle it, even some Z boards aren't going to be able to achieve it. Even with golden sample 9900Ks you need a good board with good VRMs to hit 5Ghz and I guarantee that these will not all be golden samples unless Intel plans to give every retailer three or four chips each. Not to mention the cooling requirements. You sure aren't going to be hitting that with the average tower cooler or a single 120mm AIO.
We don't know the voltage it needs to run at 5Ghz all core.

Wouldn't the AVX rate cut turn out worse performance than just downclocking a bin?
Downclocking a bin affects everything. Cutting AVX performance would only affect AVX. Depends on how much AVX is threaded through today's software stack. I don't run any pure AVX loads. I just wish it would rate-limit issuing AVX ops after a threshold for my usage pattern. If you run AVX all day long, then yeah, just drop the mult.

9900k already blows the tdp out the water on any normal 'turbo' use.

Downclocking a bin affects everything. Cutting AVX performance would only affect AVX. Depends on how much AVX is threaded through today's software stack. I don't run any pure AVX loads. I just wish it would rate-limit issuing AVX ops after a threshold for my usage pattern. If you run AVX all day long, then yeah, just drop the mult.

I got you. I'm just not sure that the additional complexity would make a difference even for your workload, even with the addition of a lost bin.

Back