Anand: "big differences between the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 240"

ex0du5

Gawd
From his twitter:

"for those of you who are wondering, there are big differences between the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 240, more in 24 hours!"

Everything we heard pre-launch was hinting towards the 120GB and 240GB drives being even. I guess things have changed...

Single 120

Single 240
as_ssd.jpg

The 120GB version is a little bit slower than I was expecting. Most review sites said the 120GB was going to almost be virtually the same speed as the 240. OCZ kinda kept the speed disparity under raps it seems. You had to find some somewhat obscure posts on their forums to get the actual speed.

Although, for somewhat the same price 2x 120GB in Raid 0 are like 70% faster than a single 240GB so I am still pretty happy.

One of the mods on OCZ Forum's screenshot.. it matches all of the other reviews of the 240.
Yeah I only ask because I noticed an AMD SATA controller.
Most reviewers use the Sandy Bridge platform for their benchmarks.

Yeah I only ask because I noticed an AMD SATA controller.
Most reviewers use the Sandy Bridge platform for their benchmarks.

Here's one from intel - another OCZ guy that got an eval 240

201102221442.png

One thing I really notice is the read access times on the 240 are consistently WAY lower than the 120... I wonder if that can be felt...

One thing I really notice is the read access times on the 240 are consistently WAY lower than the 120... I wonder if that can be felt...

The access times AS-SSD gives are for 512B reads. Unless you have XP, most OSes will use 4KB or larger IO sizes, so the 512B access time is not important.

The number to look at is the 4KB (QD=1) read and write speed from AS-SSD (not CDM, it has an anomaly for 4KB read in some cases). But for the latest SSDs, the 4KB random read speed is around 20 MB/s for all the good ones, with only 1 or 2 MB/s variation.

Thanks for the heads-up on the access times. And yeah, CDM is always way high on randoms - like WAY high.
The C300's, and of course RAID0 arrays are the only times I've ever seen random 4K reads much above 25...

Thanks for the screenshots Brahmz! You mind posting the 120GB Raid 0 results? I'm so very curious.

All I care about are read numbers and PRICE PRICE PRICE....

CHEAPER PLEASE for the love of ........

Thanks for the screenshots Brahmz! You mind posting the 120GB Raid 0 results? I'm so very curious.

My 2nd 120 is on the truck :) Hopefully Thrusday night I'll have 120GB RAID0 benches on my P6 6G ports.

That said, I'm half tempted to sell the 120's cheap and go for a couple of the 240's... this sickness has to stop at some point, right?

But for the latest SSDs, the 4KB random read speed is around 20 MB/s for all the good ones, with only 1 or 2 MB/s variation.

I thought it's always been like that.

It's the 4K writes that I see improving?

My 2nd 120 is on the truck :) Hopefully Thrusday night I'll have 120GB RAID0 benches on my P6 6G ports.

That said, I'm half tempted to sell the 120's cheap and go for a couple of the 240's... this sickness has to stop at some point, right?

The sickness never stops..... It's why we are all here ;)

Actually I thought the 120GB V3 came out pretty well considering it was put up against drives 2x+ the capacity. In the actual real world tests like gaming it faired quite well and even won a few slides. It does take a bit of a beating on the write speeds but those aren't as important on a gaming machine.

This is quite disappointing that there is such a difference in performance. Perhaps the price difference would reflect this?

Are there any comparable drives coming soon from other manufacturers? I'm looking at something in this capacity/price point.

Looking good! I can't wait to get mine in. Although my writes wont look that nice!

I'm thinking you'll be pleasantly suprised at what you've been missing.

OCZ drives just miss the "snap" that the Crucial's have.

You will be pleased. ;)

What does the brain trust deem the best 120gb sata3 at this time, with priority given to reliability/compatibility: V3, 510, or c400?

Back