Anand and Brian Weigh in at the Battery and MicroSD Debate

10x or 100x or 2x doesn't matter, its better. And yes, unless someone shows that a removable battery makes the phone worse, and its not a subjective opinion like 'build quality' or 'looks', there are zero downsides.

It's implied all over the Anandtech article and in this thread.

yep, couldn't quantify your claim. ;)

yep, couldn't quantify your claim. ;)
I have yet to see anyone on here who would say that s/he will only buy a phone without removable batteries. No one has said that removable batteries also automatically equal worse build either. Samsung's quality is just worse than most others; they make it up by marketing the shit out of it.

There are downsides to having to pull out a battery too.
1. Down time from powering down and restarting your phone
2. Extra hardware for the support of removable batteries could lower efficiency of the battery
3. Most cell batteries are not universal
etc

Why not ask manufacturers to build phone with bigger and better batteries in the first place? Or design an OS to be more efficient?

I have yet to see anyone on here who would say that s/he will only buy a phone without removable batteries. No one has said that removable batteries also automatically equal worse build either. Samsung's quality is just worse than most others; they make it up by marketing the shit out of it.

There are downsides to having to pull out a battery too.
1. Down time from powering down and restarting your phone
2. Extra hardware for the support of removable batteries could lower efficiency of the battery
3. Most cell batteries are not universal
etc

Why not ask manufacturers to build phone with bigger and better batteries in the first place? Or design an OS to be more efficient?

Why is Samsung's quality worse ?:confused: Is this your opinion or do you have any facts to back it up?

And are you kidding about the downsides or are you serious ???

1. so you want to spend days/weeks without a phone rather than <15s to swap the battery and <1min to restart?

2. total nonsense. The extra hardware is contact pins which are needed anyway, they just solder the battery to them if its not replaceable.

3.so what? most chargers aren't universal either.

You're deliberately trying to obfuscate the point, which is that sealed batteries offer NO advantage to the user, and no matter how big the battery is, the ability to carry a spare, and easily swap a defective one, is ALWAYS a huge benefit.

0. Why is Samsung's quality worse?

Watch drop test videos... hilarious stuff. The material cost is also lower. Most people would say Samsung products feel cheaper than another competitor's products. Also, customer support services, how's Samsung's rating when compared to, let's say, Apple's?

1. so you want to spend days/weeks without a phone rather than <15s to swap the battery and <1min to restart?

And what does swapping a battery do in terms of days/weeks without a phone? LOL.

2. total nonsense. The extra hardware is contact pins which are needed anyway, they just solder the battery to them if its not replaceable.

Phones with replaceable batteries could also mean a looser fit. Connection between the plates could be less efficient.

3. so what? most chargers aren't universal either.

Most android phones are microUSB. Pretty sure the word "universal" is in there somewhere.

So you have no proof of build quality then. People are idiots and think glass iPhone is better built because it looks shiny. Why are you talking about customer service now?

1. to replace a battery in iPhone, you have to mail it in, or drive to Apple store. It can take days/weeks.

2. Once again you have no facts. 'can mean looser fit, less efficient' is total nonsense.

3. Do you think laptop chargers are universal? Do you think laptop batteries are universal? Are sealed batteries universal? Don't make useless points.

So you have no proof of build quality then. People are idiots and think glass iPhone is better built because it looks shiny. Why are you talking about customer service now?

1. to replace a battery in iPhone, you have to mail it in, or drive to Apple store. It can take days/weeks.

2. Once again you have no facts. 'can mean looser fit, less efficient' is total nonsense.

3. Do you think laptop chargers are universal? Do you think laptop batteries are universal? Are sealed batteries universal? Don't make useless points.

just be the big man and walk away crispy. everyone knows what youre saying except changed apparently, who is either intentionally trolling you or else really just doesnt get it. every one of his counterarguments is asinine, so just throw in the towel on this one.

0. So you have no proof of build quality then. People are idiots and think glass iPhone is better built because it looks shiny. Why are you talking about customer service now?

You seriously want to argue the build quality of a Samsung product vs Apple's?

Last time I checked, quick fix shops do it in 30-45 minutes for $30 to $45 for an iPhone 4/4S and $60 for an iPhone 5/5S. 60 minutes equals days for you? Must be hell where you live...

So evidently you also live in a dustless environment???

We're talking about phones. Battery banks are more useful due to being able to charge multiple devices, sometimes at once. I have two cellphones and a hotspot. Should I carry three different types of batteries or just use one 13000mAh battery bank?

I just want to interject on the commentary regarding using the Samsung phones as an example of microSD/swappable battery without tradeoffs by comparing it to say the HTC One (or iphone). There are many other factors at play here to make these type of comparison valid.

A better comparison would be to look at the LG G2. The G2 actually has two versions, one with a sealed battery and no microSD support and another with a swappable battery and microSD support via a replaceable back cover. The tradeoff is a slightly thicker phone (0.25mm), smaller battery capacity (2610mAh vs 3000mAh, stacked battery) and support for less bands (saves space). I believe it also uses the smaller nano SIM as opposed to micro SIM (space savings). Not sure if MSRP for it is higher as well. I cannot comment on build quality differences between the two.

Build quality is subjective to an extent. But to me, it's also of very little importance so long as it isn't so bad that the phone is prone to breaking at the drop of a hat. I'm going to put it in a case anyway, so the fact that the outer shell is plastic instead of aluminum is a moot point.

Let's face it: people who fret over how a phone like the iPhone or One "feels better" or a Galaxy S4 "feels cheap" are probably concerned more with image than practicality. It's not as if the S4 is a less useful device because of its build materials -- I highly doubt it's significantly more prone to damage if you drop it, particularly when cases are used. If you aren't worried about impressing people and don't have some type of phone-massaging fetish, there's nothing substantially lacking about the quality of Samsung's products, particularly compared to HTC (with Apple I might grant a small advantage, which of course comes with an exorbitant price increase).

I disagree with that mentality, it isn't simply a vanity vs. practicality situation. For most people the separation of these high end devices are more inline with luxury goods as opposed to basic necessities, as such the emotional appeal of a product is an valid consideration. From a pure basic necessity perspective all high end phones are now essentially homogenous, all of them are suitable for most people. Any phone is essentially practical.

Even from a pure functionality perspective we can go back to the HTC One vs S4 argument, neither is really more fundamentally more functional than the other for the vast majority. A S4 might be more functional to some (such as due to the replaceable battery) but the HTC One can also be as well (external speakers, headphone amp). So the argument that the S4 is the default winner from a functional stand point is not valid either.

The high end phones these days are all rather functional for the vast majority of people. At the end you pick the device that appeals to you more as an individual and the best situation for the consumer market is if this differentiation and choice exists. If the entire market were just Galaxy clones or iPhone clones that would be terrible for the consumer.

Smartphones these days are also rather mainstream high volume items, an iphone for instance (or any phone) being a status symbol is a rather strange concept considering how many people own one and that most phone prices are relatively close to each other on contract (which is what the majority are buying). Also smartphones are relatively cheap all things considered in relation to other items, even just electronic items.

Actually regarding the iphone (and similar products) it is actually arguable the cost of ownership is cheaper if anything due to the higher resale and more ample trade in opportunities when looking to upgrade. I'm actually somewhat confused about the iphone/ipad cost perception issue, it seems like a large part of it is due to confusion with the computer product lineup (and there is somewhat of a misconception there as well).

Luxury/looks is perfectly valid personal choice, just don't say plastic/Samsung = worse build quality since it's not true.

It's all subjective opinion, I don't like it when one company is maligned for still offering choice to users with no compromises made. Now big sites like Anandtech are spreading total FUD about batteries/sd cards, just because they are a dying feature, in an attempt to influence consumers into giving up their rights.

The argument that an iPhone is not a status symbol is without base. Anything can be a status symbol depending on the group involved. And certainly things that are far less expensive than an on contract iPhone are considered status symbols. Think nike shoes especially the $100+ ones in middle / high school. You can make an argument that any item really isn't that expensive or should not be a status symbol but it won't change the reality of mass perception.

It is fine to argue that the iPhone has lower total cost of owner ship because of resale value, that just depends on who you are and how you work with phones. It just doesn't work out that way for people like myself. I pass my phones down to my kids, and my time is worth something. I don't want to fart around running to some genius store 45 minutes away. Some phones die before their 2 year contract I see it constantly with sealed battery phones from every brand. For me its faster to amazon prime a new battery and swap it in 5 minutes then to need to physically go to the store.

I agree that on a basic level all phones are similar now days, but the funny thing is it has essentially been that way for almost the entire recent history of smart phones. So I see no reason to give up a removable battery and microSD card slot. The one exception would be if a phone had a really useful feature and so far their are only 2 phones I am aware of that have such a feature, 1 would be the nokia camera phones that are really good for pictures etc... And the other would be the galaxy note with its stylus. Luckily the king keeps its battery replaceable for now.

Like I said before, this trend of non user replaceable and serviceable parts was started by Apple in both phones and laptops, as a way to increase profit margins and force upgrades, with a secondary benefit of reducing size in laptops. It is not being copied by others because Apple made it popular. They want you throw away your laptop and phone every year, or pay big bucks to change anything.

And yet people continue to defend this practice. Total Apple apologists.

How many people are actually buying products because they have a sealed battery and no removable storage?

The situation is more so a case of weighing the overall device and one you like more just happens to not have those features and you view that as an acceptable tradeoff.

Let's go with the popular and polarizing HTC One vs Galaxy S4 argument. The reason some people like the HTC One over the S4 isn't because it lacks the aforementioned features but they feel the phone offers other advantages that outweigh the benefit of those missing features (which may not apply to them at all).

With laptops for instance the one's I am considering have sealed batteries. Is it because I hate swappable batteries? No it is because the one's that have that are not as good overall fit for what I am looking for.

Luxury/looks is perfectly valid personal choice, just don't say plastic/Samsung = worse build quality since it's not true.

It's all subjective opinion, I don't like it when one company is maligned for still offering choice to users with no compromises made. Now big sites like Anandtech are spreading total FUD about batteries/sd cards, just because they are a dying feature, in an attempt to influence consumers into giving up their rights.

I get the opposite impression though. To me it seems more like vocal enthusiasts want to place removable batteries and microSD as a key feature applicable to everyone. Is it not understandable that others may not view those features as critical and look at other characteristics?

The argument that an iPhone is not a status symbol is without base. Anything can be a status symbol depending on the group involved. And certainly things that are far less expensive than an on contract iPhone are considered status symbols. Think nike shoes especially the $100+ ones in middle / high school. You can make an argument that any item really isn't that expensive or should not be a status symbol but it won't change the reality of mass perception.

I should have been more clear in that I don't view these items as status symbols or look at these products like that. If you bought a Galaxy S4 but wanted an iPhone you could have bought an iPhone. It would have to be rather rare edge case scenarios where someone had extreme financial hardship in purchasing an iPhone but had to settle for another high end phone. This would be in contrast to say buying a Ferrari over a typical car which actually does have a significant gap.

But yes in reality you could convince people a normal rock is a must have status symbol and if they believe it is then it is.

I just don't get his reasoning behind removable storage. Just using the iPhone as an example, unibody design and you still have to allow for the sim card so explain why it would hurt the design to allow another or bigger slot? The razr HD accomplished this beautifully. I have never seen an issue with how storage works on android. The band is core and for os, apps etc. Removable is treated as a separate drive for additional storage. Now keep on mind the removable being separate is a massive pro, not a con... Have to reset your phone? No problem, SD slot is untouched. Shatter your phone into 900 pieces? Bet that SD card is good to go.

His reasoning on non removable batteries just made me laugh. "by not having removable batteries we get better designs and bigger batteries" is the gist of the bullshit spewed. Its like he lives in a fantasy. These companies are trying to pack as little as possible in these phones to maximize profits. They want just enough to be competitive with the next guy. To think that a unibody design somehow means bigger battery or better battery life is just ridiculously ignorant.

Posted from my unibody phone with no removable storage...

I just don't get his reasoning behind removable storage. Just using the iPhone as an example, unibody design and you still have to allow for the sim card so explain why it would hurt the design to allow another or bigger slot? The razr HD accomplished this beautifully. I have never seen an issue with how storage works on android. The band is core and for os, apps etc. Removable is treated as a separate drive for additional storage. Now keep on mind the removable being separate is a massive pro, not a con... Have to reset your phone? No problem, SD slot is untouched. Shatter your phone into 900 pieces? Bet that SD card is good to go.

His reasoning on non removable batteries just made me laugh. "by not having removable batteries we get better designs and bigger batteries" is the gist of the bullshit spewed. Its like he lives in a fantasy. These companies are trying to pack as little as possible in these phones to maximize profits. They want just enough to be competitive with the next guy. To think that a unibody design somehow means bigger battery or better battery life is just ridiculously ignorant.

Posted from my unibody phone with no removable storage...

Agreed, pretty much my take on it.

Their (the OEM and/or carrier) decision to not include a removable battery or external storage is pretty much based soley on financial gain from planned obsolesence, less manufacturing costs and potential gain from users paying more for cell data for (possibly) paid could storage services. I have to think that carriers have a hand in this sometimes too because I see a lot of phones support SD cards on their international/unlocked variants, but the carrier variants have it suspiciously removed (like the G2 for example).

Unless one of the phones is made of plywood and rusty nails, you won't ever win a build quality debate. People can always say they like the feel of one type of phone over another.

Family member of mine uses GS3 and they think my iPhone 5 feel like junk because it is so small and light, "There is nothing to it!".

Unless one of the phones is made of plywood and rusty nails, you won't ever win a build quality debate. People can always say they like the feel of one type of phone over another.

I LIKE PLYWOOD AND RUSTY NAILS!

Gives my electronics a 'rustic' feel. Only downside is remembering to get my tetanus shot before using it.

Like I said before, this trend of non user replaceable and serviceable parts was started by Apple
The same people who argue that Apple simply follows in everyone's path are the same people who argue that Apple has the capacity to (and frequently does) start negative trends. Somehow, both of these things can be true despite their mutual exclusivity.

The same people who argue that Apple simply follows in everyone's path are the same people who argue that Apple has the capacity to (and frequently does) start negative trends. Somehow, both of these things can be true despite their mutual exclusivity.

I would say Apple started the trend for the i devices but google is the reason we are seeing it on android at all.

But they are not mutually exclusive. Apple's sole criteria for anything is 'can we market this'. It's not about having newer features or specs with them.

They add features a few years after everyone else because even Apple users won't put up with outdated tech beyond that. It's why every single thing Apple says is useless and wrong and they'll never do, and every feature from competing platforms, they add after 2-3 years. Take your pick - copy/paste, larger screens, notifications, control panel, auto update apps.

Agree 100% with Anand. Sd card slots and replaceable batteries take up a disproportionate amount of room which can be used to increase battery size and make the device thinner.

But they are not mutually exclusive. Apple's sole criteria for anything is 'can we market this'. It's not about having newer features or specs with them.

They add features a few years after everyone else because even Apple users won't put up with outdated tech beyond that. It's why every single thing Apple says is useless and wrong and they'll never do, and every feature from competing platforms, they add after 2-3 years. Take your pick - copy/paste, larger screens, notifications, control panel, auto update apps.

Disagree 100%. Apple has pioneered many things other manufacturers refused to do, such as non replaceable batteries, retina display (OK on this one, they were the first to 'make it work," and their anti flash stance I initially scoffed at, however they are 100% right about flash.

They are the best at actually marketing something after they decide on and implement a technology.

I am no apple fan, in fact I have never purchased an apple product in my life, but I can appreciate their engineering and design decisions

Agree 100% with Anand. Sd card slots and replaceable batteries take up a disproportionate amount of room which can be used to increase battery size and make the device thinner.

If reality mirrored that logic i would agree too but in the real world we end up with neither.

Disagree 100%. Apple has pioneered many things other manufacturers refused to do, such as non replaceable batteries, retina display (OK on this one, they were the first to 'make it work," and their anti flash stance I initially scoffed at, however they are 100% right about flash.

They are the best at actually marketing something after they decide on and implement a technology.

I am no apple fan, in fact I have never purchased an apple product in my life, but I can appreciate their engineering and design decisions

Retina display was nothing more than the industry wide trend. Apple WAS the company holding back resolution. Then they jumped a little ahead and quickly fell behinds. I am not sure how anyone can say that doing things in bursts rather than steadily improving like many is pioneering its more like just marketing that keeps heads buried in the sand. The problem is ignorant people really never knew what else was out there. Or you are a fan boy.

I find it mind boggling that taking stuff away from people is called pioneering.

Another poster was way more correct, apple just waits a long time then tries to pretend they didn't follow by doing something silly. Take their mice where they insisted 1 button was better but then were like well we got 1 button that acts like 2 now. That's better right lol.

The retina display was not apple pushing forward it was simply a rich company buying first rights to a technology that was already on the way in. OLED was coming fast and LCD makers needed an answer, not being able to improve much else resolution was their answer to run and try to maintain sales against OLED. The LCD makers would use their mature technology to get a leg up. Also Samsung wasn't going to give apple access to OLED before their own phones. Up till ip4 apples had the some horrible low res TN panels, its just millions of new people had never experienced a smart phone before so they thought it was normal.

Flash, also not pioneering its simple conflict of interest. If anyone could go out and use flash then they could play all the same shitty iphone games for free right? So why would anyone buy them over priced in the app store? Apple killed flash to control and force people whom were ignorant into over paying for shit that was free. I guess if you call that pioneering then consoles are the kings of pioneering, SONY is a god of pioneering. Closing off standard cross platform technologies is pioneering now... No one ever said MS including IE in windows was pioneering but if apple does it, many they are so forward thinking. If MS had blocked adobe flash from windows would they be pioneers? lol give me a break.

negative

MS was in the Smartphone business LONG before Apple
Other companies were making MP3 players long before Apple
plenty of devices have had non removable batteries long before Apple

Apple is good at getting people to buy over priced hardware as a status symbol, that's it... not to mention taking credit for other people's work and stealing Nokia's patents...

Point is everything that apples does, someone else did it first.

Apple is good at getting people to buy over priced hardware as a status symbol, that's it... not to mention taking credit for other people's work and stealing Nokia's patents...

You know i used to think this too but then i thought about it. The vast majority are buying their iphones subsidized so thats really not all that true. They are paying the same for the iphone as they would an equivalent android flagship phone. The hardware may be overpriced to the carrier but really $200 for a high end phone is the status quo anymore.

You know i used to think this too but then i thought about it. The vast majority are buying their iphones subsidized so thats really not all that true. They are paying the same for the iphone as they would an equivalent android flagship phone. The hardware may be overpriced to the carrier but really $200 for a high end phone is the status quo anymore.

Its the perception, by owning an apple product they are associating themselves with apple, which is known for high priced products.

negative

MS was in the Smartphone business LONG before Apple
Other companies were making MP3 players long before Apple
plenty of devices have had non removable batteries long before Apple

Point is everything that apples does, someone else did it first.

And windows phones sucked hardcore back then anyways. In fact, Smartphones in general were horrid. I owned enough of them before the iPhone came out to know. The iPhone was a game changer.

Also owned plenty of MP3 players before the iPod came out. Again, they worked, but compared to the iPod they blew ass. Has better stuff then the iPod come out since the iPod's release? Yes. To say the iPod's success was all due to marketing is just inane though. It was the first MP3 player not to have shit battery life, a decent enough interface, and lots of storage. Before that if you wanted a MP3 player with lots of space you had to get a Mini-Disc player and load it up with ATRAC3's. That or settle for something that had 2-4GB at most and used (at the time) incredibly expensive compact flash.

And windows phones sucked hardcore back then anyways. In fact, Smartphones in general were horrid. I owned enough of them before the iPhone came out to know. The iPhone was a game changer.

Back in the day winmo was fucking amazing. Nobody offered what windows did in those days, not even close. Its funny how people forget that there where fully capable smartphones LONG before the iphone.

Also owned plenty of MP3 players before the iPod came out. Again, they worked, but compared to the iPod they blew ass. Has better stuff then the iPod come out since the iPod's release? Yes. To say the iPod's success was all due to marketing is just inane though. It was the first MP3 player not to have shit battery life, a decent enough interface, and lots of storage. Before that if you wanted a MP3 player with lots of space you had to get a Mini-Disc player and load it up with ATRAC3's. That or settle for something that had 2-4GB at most and used (at the time) incredibly expensive compact flash.

It was due to marketing. There where better, cheaper alternatives that didnt carry the marketing the ipods did so they simply went unnoticed by most. Its Apples marketing of the ipod that made the general public aware there was even such a thing as MP3 players. Just like it was Apples marketing that made the general public aware of smartphones.

Its 100% marketing...

Ignorant lol jet audio had mp3 players that at any point beat the ipod on EVERY spec more battery, more capacity etc... Not even sure where you were shopping if you thought space was a defining factor of the iPods. The argument all the iPod people used to tell me was always about the interface / wheel thingy. But all your post did was just point out you are making shit up / have no idea what you are talking about.

Back in the day winmo was fucking amazing. Nobody offered what windows did in those days, not even close. Its funny how people forget that there where fully capable smartphones LONG before the iphone.

It was due to marketing. There where better, cheaper alternatives that didnt carry the marketing the ipods did so they simply went unnoticed by most. Its Apples marketing of the ipod that made the general public aware there was even such a thing as MP3 players. Just like it was Apples marketing that made the general public aware of smartphones.

Its 100% marketing...
No one forgets. It's just stubborn people with an axe to grind say the most ridiculous bullshit and keep saying it until it sticks for truth on these boards when in fact it's total nonsense.

winmo blew donkey balls. and back then you had to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege. we hacked the shit out of the phones but if it weren't for those hacks the phones stayed with one shitty UI on the same buggy firmware and you had to *pay* for ringtones and a whole new phone when a .x release came out.

the one nice thing about winmo was it had a workable calendar that actually turned ringers off and on according to your schedule and it synced to windows. there wasn't much else to brag about.

nokia had some really nice phones...but nice relative to the offerings. they'd be huge, worthless bricks in this day and age. they had a nice keypad, a long battery life, and they were world phones. they were also like a thousand dollars and you had to buy them from Europe if you didn't want a gimped version.

neither had a workable way to play personal music. neither had any storage to speak of. the batteries for winmo phones were as small as a RAZR but running a full color UI. They couldn't hold a charge for very long with any sustained talking or what passed for mobile browsing back then.

here is a review of one of the first smartphones I was able to afford:
http://reviews.cnet.com/ _MPx220/4505-6452_7-30893927.html

I watched them for a long time, too. it wasn't like I got a bug up my ass to go and buy a smartphone. I waited for years because they were so damn expensive and I was so broke. the only people who had smart phones back then were business professionals. and winmo wasn't the king back then it was blackberry in all the suites.

Ignorant lol jet audio had mp3 players that at any point beat the ipod on EVERY spec more battery, more capacity etc... Not even sure where you were shopping if you thought space was a defining factor of the iPods. The argument all the iPod people used to tell me was always about the interface / wheel thingy. But all your post did was just point out you are making shit up / have no idea what you are talking about.

I had A Jet Audio MP3 player. It was shit.

Its 100% marketing...

No, Windows CE was not amazing. It was crap, and the devices that ran it weren't that great either. Palm OS with all the issues it had was far superior from a usability aspect and ease of use aspect, and the hardware running Palm OS was great as well. Be it Sony Clie's or the later Handsprings / Palm Treo.

And even then, Palm OS was shit. To say WinCE was 'amazing' is laughable considering it was typically even worse off then Palm OS devices. It only started a couple years or so before the iPhone released that the WinCE devices got much better, and that's only because Palm was going tits up at that point and wasn't improving Palm OS. Then once the iPhone came out along with iOS it blew everything out of the water.

You can try to twist or change the facts as much as you'd like. I feel like people on here are either young, or purposely twisting the truth just to bash Apple. I've been around for long enough to know that there are plenty of things to bash about Apple. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and listen to people suggest that both the original iPhone and iPod were nothing but marketing. You are trying to revise history and it ain't going to fucking happen.

people on here are either young, or purposely twisting the truth just to bash Apple.
it's both. if you cross reference a lot of those kinds of posts with other threads you'll see that many, if not most, are in their early twenties.

No, Windows CE was not amazing. It was crap, and the devices that ran it weren't that great either. Palm OS with all the issues it had was far superior from a usability aspect and ease of use aspect, and the hardware running Palm OS was great as well. Be it Sony Clie's or the later Handsprings / Palm Treo.

And even then, Palm OS was shit. To say WinCE was 'amazing' is laughable considering it was typically even worse off then Palm OS devices. It only started a couple years or so before the iPhone released that the WinCE devices got much better, and that's only because Palm was going tits up at that point and wasn't improving Palm OS. Then once the iPhone came out along with iOS it blew everything out of the water.

You can try to twist or change the facts as much as you'd like. I feel like people on here are either young, or purposely twisting the truth just to bash Apple. I've been around for long enough to know that there are plenty of things to bash about Apple. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and listen to people suggest that both the original iPhone and iPod were nothing but marketing. You are trying to revise history and it ain't going to fucking happen.

You must have missed all the windows mobile phones. I said winmo not CE... Winmo 5 was awesome and was around 2 years before the iphone.

I had this phone on quest (sprint) before there was ever such a thing as the iphone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Apache

Wifi, minisd slot, touch screen, slide out keyboard. That was 2 years before the iphone "Revolutionized" everything. :rolleyes:

But hey keep harping on win CE and how horrible it was you clearly never used any windows mobile devices.

They where marketing. They offered nothing others did not already offer. NOTHING. Just brought the devices to the masses via a mass marketing campaign.

Actually apple did offer something that was not offered, its just controversial if you think that is actually a feature. They offered a phone that was so far behind software wise that it ran really well because quite frankly it wasn't / couldn't do anything. Beyond that it was just pissing lucky timing. All the "features" of the iPhone that people claim apple invented were coming in anyway but because the masses had really never experienced much in the line of a smart phone (remember it was the ending of the age of flip phones and the wildly successful razr) most people assumed that apple somehow invented what was coming next, but what was coming was just natural progression. Capacitive displays, larger screens, touch only devices, the irony was what apple nailed then, they stagnated on. The large screen was a huge part of their success then they just sat on it as other phone maker kept moving up the size. The older companies like palm, RIM, and MS were already built up software wise around a different hardware configuration and it would take them some time to move over. Sometimes in business its actually better not to have a presence in a market. If MS had released a phone identical to the iPhone I mean identical it would not have been anywhere near as popular. Simply because MS had no hype.

You must have missed all the windows mobile phones. I said winmo not CE... Winmo 5 was awesome and was around 2 years before the iphone.

I had this phone on quest (sprint) before there was ever such a thing as the iphone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Apache

Wifi, minisd slot, touch screen, slide out keyboard. That was 2 years before the iphone "Revolutionized" everything. :rolleyes:

But hey keep harping on win CE and how horrible it was you clearly never used any windows mobile devices.

They where marketing. They offered nothing others did not already offer. NOTHING. Just brought the devices to the masses via a mass marketing campaign.

Oh god what drugs were you on? Windows Mobile was awful.

Oh god what drugs were you on? Windows Mobile was awful.

Seriously? Compared to now, sure. WinMO was amazing in its time. People seriously need to cut the nostalgia bullshit when the iphone released it was fucking garbage. WHat it had going for it was not something Apple came up with or revolutionized it was simply new technology they jumped on.

I still dont get how people look back at the piece of shit iphone 1 and call it revolutionary. It was a smartphone that was missing so many basic smart phone features, it didnt even have a GPS FFS.

Back