Analysts Predict MS Surface to Take Last Place

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Analysts, citing high pricing and lack of availability, predict Surface will earn a possible last place in tablet sales. The combination of negative factors that will affect sales is compounded by the damage Surface will do in business relations with Microsoft’s long standing tablet producing OS customers. Everything considered, the Surface could be a nightmare in the making for Microsoft.

"Surface's high pricing could prove to be a fatal mistake and relegate it to be a niche No. 4 or No. 5 player".

If Microsoft's taking the same road Android is taking, then whether or not Surface is a hit is inconsequential. Microsoft doesn't really care about hardware, they just want to give consumers an idea of what they expect a Windows 8 RT tablet to look/feel/run like. The real question is what is Windows 8 RT's marketshare going to be, which is probably still going to be poor, but who knows at this point. Maybe a basic tablet with Office and a limited app store is what some people want?

I still want one. Everyone seems to hate MS hardware and peripherals. I still use my Zune daily (from launch), love my MS keyboards. Guess I'm just not cool enough.

If Microsoft's taking the same road Android is taking, then whether or not Surface is a hit is inconsequential. Microsoft doesn't really care about hardware, they just want to give consumers an idea of what they expect a Windows 8 RT tablet to look/feel/run like. The real question is what is Windows 8 RT's marketshare going to be, which is probably still going to be poor, but who knows at this point. Maybe a basic tablet with Office and a limited app store is what some people want?

Yeah, the sales of Surface devices isn't really the issue at hand, it's to total sales of Windows 8/RT devices. The key to the success of Windows 8/RT on tablets will be hybrid and convertible devices. As the prices come down, and that's the other key, I see these devices replacing conventional clamshell laptops. If that occurs, then I think Windows 8 has the potential to be huge, but that is a lot of ifs.

Except the high pricing isn't a mistake. It was done on purpose. You'd think such "knowledgeable" analysts would know things like that.

There's probably "analysts" saying it will be the highest selling tablet evar. Analysts word and opinions mean 0. It might do well, it might not, but these opinons likely mean nothing. They alays use the word "could" and "may" because they don't really know anything. It's all just gussing rolls of dice. "it could be a 1-3 but I't might go as high as a 6".

In these cases analysts are like meteorologists...no matter what they predict, in reality it all boils down to a 50/50 chance. ;)

I could go for a full blown Surface, but not an RT.

Many people also predicted the iPad would fail. So yeah...

I thought the same thing when I saw the article.

Regardless I'm still shocked the ipad sells as well as it does. That's things freaking expensive for a device that plays angry birds and checks email.

Regardless I'm still shocked the ipad sells as well as it does. That's things freaking expensive for a device that plays angry birds and checks email.

Fortunately, it adds value in a number of other ways.

Let me tell you how to get to be a great analyst. Predict something bold. If the prediction comes true, shout it out to everyone in sight. If the prediction is false, don't peep a word afterwards until the next prediction. A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

I stop reading any articles that starting with analysts. I think most of them working out of their mom's basement and do not know much about anything.

Let me tell you how to get to be a great analyst. Predict something bold. If the prediction comes true, shout it out to everyone in sight. If the prediction is false, don't peep a word afterwards until the next prediction. A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

*If the prediction is false, blame forces out of your control and move on to the next prediction.

I don't know where these amateurs get their figures from, but the Surfaces sold out within 24 hours. I;m no expert, but that sure sounds like fucking success to me. Morons.

I don't know where these amateurs get their figures from, but the Surfaces sold out within 24 hours. I;m no expert, but that sure sounds like fucking success to me. Morons.

Selling 50 Surface tablets in 24 hours isn't impressive.

Ok I admit, I don't know if they sold 50 of them, it could've been 5 or 500,000 for all anyone except a few people at MS know at this point. I actually find the Surface interesting and might've tried it out for cheap, still might try the pro if pricing is truly ultrabook competitive. But back on topic; these arranged pre-order sellouts that MS, Apple, etc create are just marking BS to get free advertising from newsies and to get the gullible excited about whatever they've proclaimed the new hotness to be.

Huge difference in selling out a limited 10 or 100K unit initial supply vs selling out 100's of thousands of units. Show the quantity and it may or may not be impressive then.

Well because of a fucking tablet they've already alienated a large portion of their user base. MS has really screwed the pooch with Windows 8.

Oh and as for the analyst, there are some valid points about the Surface moving into a crowded market with high price. MS definitely has some catching up to do but there's a lot of directions that Surface and Win8 in general can go over the next year, people can be crazy so who knows!

Well because of a fucking tablet they've already alienated a large portion of their user base. MS has really screwed the pooch with Windows 8.
The jury is still out on that one.

Never underestimate the number of idiots out there. :)

The jury is still out on that one.

Never underestimate the number of idiots out there. :)

I would like to see how MS will get businesses to switch over to this? It will never happen. Corporations will using Windows 7 longer than they use XP!

Analysts that predicted Apple to fail were drunk. They already had a successful phone. Where as Microsoft has a highly crappy fail to launch piece of shit phone. I will side with analysts here.

Limited app store? Aren't all the app stores limited?

IMO they should have dropped the price and taken a "huge" loss on the hardware. That's the only way they would have gained market share.

I think microsoft did this on purpose so it did not piss off its OEM's. Bottom line is that microsoft is putting the surface out there as a proof of concept not as the soon to be #1 tablet.

IMO they should have dropped the price and taken a "huge" loss on the hardware. That's the only way they would have gained market share.

Have you seen how much R&D went into this product and the materials it uses so it is very doubtfull that that would happen.

I often find it amusing that when the press encounters products from Apple that are the most expensive in their class it is cited as an "advantage" for Apple--but even being close to Apple's pricing niche--in a prevailing sort of way-- is always cited as a disadvantage for *anybody* else...;) This kind of screwball, lopsided thinking is exactly why I'm careful to stay away from all things Apple. The way the RDF skews the mentalities of otherwise semi-intelligent people is frightening (but has its lighter sides, too...!)

Press blurb: tens of millions of technology enthusiasts from coast to coast do not want tablets and tablets have no place in their upcoming hardware purchases. It's a simple, straightforward proclamation--amazing how the thick heads of the easily deluded struggle so with absorbing the elementary premise. Sigh: one size does not now and will *never* fit all. That sentiment must have originated as a wet dream in the minds of feverish Cuban economic ministers wishing that "one size for all" was the official government mandate...;)

Analysts that predicted Apple to fail were drunk. They already had a successful phone. Where as Microsoft has a highly crappy fail to launch piece of shit phone. I will side with analysts here.

At the same time, Apple has a piece of shit computer that fails to do anywhere. Where as Microsoft pretty much owns the whole OS market. Now this is both a desktop OS and tablet OS. Only time will tell where it'll go.

These analysts on the other hand sound stupid.

that_article said:
In other words, Microsoft is going to fail to sell a lot of Surface tablets, while at the same time limiting the sales of its partners. Sounds like a mess, if Wu is right.

Sounds exactly like what Google did with their own Google branded phones. Last I checked, Android had the commanding lead over iOS.

I generally have a favorable disposition towards Microsoft's products. But the price for the RT-equipped Surface is too high. It needed to be $350 to $400. If Microsoft wanted to sell a business version for $500-$600, that would be reasonable. But if they want this to take with consumers, they're going to need to lots of Windows RT compatible applications. Those applications require the participation of developers. And developers of consumer applications will only come if the RT-equipped Surface makes it into hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of homes. And Microsoft won't move those numbers if they price this tablet at the same price as a full fledged (read: non-RT) laptop.

I think it will be the 'Pro' version that everyone wants to buy, mostly because of software compatibility (IE: Market apps are great and all but, I think people want to use the tablet with real software, as a real laptop).

I still want one. Everyone seems to hate MS hardware and peripherals. I still use my Zune daily (from launch), love my MS keyboards. Guess I'm just not cool enough.

Me too, I have an MS Sidewinder X6 and love it.

I would like to see how MS will get businesses to switch over to this? It will never happen. Corporations will using Windows 7 longer than they use XP!

Businesses will switch to Windows 9. I think MS stretegy is to let the 'newest' have a bd rap, fix the complaint issues then release a knockout spinoff that everyone loves later.

Businesses will likely move to the Surface Pro, or any Windows 8 tablet. My own company is messing with iPads, but a Office Enabled tablet with a detachable keyboard would be incredibly enticing.

Honestly, the biggest reason I can see companies going to a Windows 8 tablet is because it will likely have the best office suite, it can be compatible with existing software (and USB devices), and despite what a lot of game developers are complaining about, I sincerely doubt the OS will be completely locked down. I know plenty of companies that produce internal software that they would never want to show up on an app market, so the iPad would be a problem (and I know my company at least would never want to mess up the warranty like jailbreakign would), but a Windows 8 tablet shouldn't require that.

Yes, Android does meet a lot of those requiremets too, but the interoperability between a desktop environment and a portable environment would be very important.

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, manage. Those who can't manage, become analysts.

I played around with the Windows 8 preview. It was ok. It was very different. I think I could get used to it on the desktop. That being said, I am very interested in a Win 8 Pro tablet. It would be nice to have a full Windows OS on a table/clam shell device. I love my Asus Transformer with the key pad but it is still limited. All of my work application must be run on a Windows OS. Even the web applications our parent company uses are written specifically for Internet Explorer. It would be nice to have a table that I can use in the shop, service calls, at my desk, at home, and while I am on vacation if there is a problem. I currently get around this by remotely controlling a PC at my work place. It works but it is cumbersome.

Back