Analyst Says Apple Gaining Market Share

HardOCP News

[H] News
An analyst from Piper Jaffray seems to think everything is in place for Apple’s market share to rise to 3% in 2007. The analyst’s report says the Mac's resurgence in the PC market can be traced back to specific factors like ; The switch to Intel, Boot Camp and iPod popularity.

According to a recent report by IDC, Apple owned about 2.8 percent of the worldwide PC market in the third quarter of 2006. Reports by IDC and Garter of third-quarter PC sales showed Apple in the top five in U.S. sales but far behind market leaders HP and Dell both in the United States and worldwide.

i think the big reason the switch to intel is so big is so people can load windows on it......

As long as people buy the hardware I think they could really care less what OS you use.

I'd be more interested to see their shares in the notebook and home consumer market.

Apple realized they can't go forever with their elitist, only twisted graphics designers and people who wear berets every day use our computers attitude. Basically what used to represent Macs is gone since now its just a PC in some fruity package.

Their Computer division still is not making good money with these increases, and probably never will.

I'll never buy mac hardware, or at least not directly from them (maybe off a friend) because I don't like their "Don't have a mac? Then you're inferior" attitude.

I've been looking at buying a MacPro instead of running OSX86. As long as they don't release a copy of Final Cut Pro for Windows, they'll have the video market pretty much covered. Avid's crap - Anyone who's worked with it can attest to this. The MacPro is a damned fast machine, and it still comes at enough of a premium for the elitist attitude to be associated with it. The fact that it can run Windows means I'm not getting screwed on the gaming front... Even if a quad-7300 setup is the best I can get, graphically. Apple's made some smart business choices this year - I'm not surprised their outlook is positive.

I admit it: I was considering to buy a MacMini this year. I just wanted to play around with a Merom and OSX. So yeah, Mac is getting more attractive.

synergyo1 said:
As long as people buy the hardware I think they could really care less what OS you use.

I'd be more interested to see their shares in the notebook and home consumer market.

Actually I think the OS plays a big part in it. I would really be interested in seeing if the OS X market share increases with the hardware market share. Will people that switch from PC to Apple actually stay with the preinstalled OS or will they load a Windows variant onto their shiny new Apple because that is what they are use to.

For the first time in a LONG time, I am saving my pennies for an Apple, hopefully a new 12" PBPro.

The only reason I am doing this is because Apple now supports the Windows XP operating system. I have to many programs that require it to run both personally and professionally and the prospect of being able to dual boot between my tried and true XP pro and getting to play around with OSX (beautiful interface btw) has me sold.

Brent

'Apple' is a fad, its just the 'in thing' to have. Whether its an IPod, a MAC or IBook its just what you have to have nowadays to be cool. With projected sale of 3.7 million units in 2007 and 10 million units in 2008, the upcoming IPhone will be the same. The fact is, Apples products look and function beautifully, you cant become the 'in thing' and stay that way for this long if your products are crap.

Four years ago I was walking thru a mall and noticed a new store, an 'Apple' store. I'm a PC only user and still am but curious I went inside, there was were very few customers at the time. I was actually very impressed at the quality of their products, it all looked well built and 'cool'. There was were very few customers at the time. Now that same store is almost always packed. Theres people sitting at a MAC 'bar' talking about Apple stuff and little kids in the childrens area sitting in front of Apple computers typing away and playing games, the 'cool and hip' crowd is there, ex-hippies and business types, its a complete 180 from what I had seen years ago.

I still only use PC's (I built my own last year), the only Apple product I have is a Nano my wife got me for X-mas last year that I only use at the gym, I like it so much I wish I had purchased one a long time ago. I'm going to stick with PC's cause' thats what I know best. But I gotta admit, all the buzz about Apple, the whole Boot Camp/Intel lure and having repeatedly dealt with Microcrap, viruses and all over the years, I'm starting to get a little curious about the dark side myself.

saintrobyn said:
Actually I think the OS plays a big part in it. I would really be interested in seeing if the OS X market share increases with the hardware market share. Will people that switch from PC to Apple actually stay with the preinstalled OS or will they load a Windows variant onto their shiny new Apple because that is what they are use to.

Yes, OS X plays a big part in the decision for the consumer. But in the end Apple makes majority off of their hardware, not OS X.

synergyo1 said:
Yes, OS X plays a big part in the decision for the consumer. But in the end Apple makes majority off of their hardware, not OS X.

Again I would have to disagree. I use to work in computer retail and I have seen the margins on Mac hardware versus software. Mac hardware had maybe a 5% to 10% markup while the software was well into the 20% to 30% and higher. That also holds true for the rest of the industry as well. Hardware is never where the money is at, software and accessories (especially cables) are the money makers. Here is an example of this, like I said I worked in computer retail I was a manager at CompUSA for almost eight years. A 6' Belkin USB 2.0 cable retailed for around $21.99 the stores average cost on the cable was around $2.50 or so. That is why we, and every other retailer pimps cables. Same with add on software, it just drives the margin on the sale up. And don't even get me started on how nice it was to add on an extended service. If you go into any retail store and say that you only want the computer and nothing else I bet the sales associate will cringe.

Its a PC now with the OS that all the PC guys want....increase in market share makes sense.

saintrobyn said:
Again I would have to disagree. I use to work in computer retail and I have seen the margins on Mac hardware versus software. Mac hardware had maybe a 5% to 10% markup while the software was well into the 20% to 30% and higher.
That's the margins for the store, not Apple. They charge a heck of a lot more for their hardware compared to the equivilent PC. The cost to them is the same, but since they have no competition against other 'mac' venders they price it at a premium. PC venders are all competing against each other and the prices reflect that, and their margins are much much lower.

They do make money on their software as well, especially when charging for service packs...errr I mean new revisions of OS X.

I use both Windows and OS X, but I find myself using OS X about 80% more than I use Windows.

Reason: I don't computer game much.

I can use Photoshop just fine on my Mac, I can put stuff on CD/DVD-R's just fine on my Mac. And I can surf the web just fine on my Mac. I don't have a huge chance of getting spyware or viruses for doing that, either.

I know it may be because "Apple's user base is so much smaller", but, hey...that's an advantage for us Mac users right now, and I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts ;)

Its also interesting to see any mention of Apple (other than negative) being tolerated so well on most hard core 'PC only!' sites. Just a couple of years ago that was unheard of. I think its a direct reflection of the frustration most PC owners have had over the years(including myself) and them now knowing that there might be something out there better than what they've been using.

saintrobyn said:
Again I would have to disagree. I use to work in computer retail and I have seen the margins on Mac hardware versus software. Mac hardware had maybe a 5% to 10% markup while the software was well into the 20% to 30% and higher. That also holds true for the rest of the industry as well. Hardware is never where the money is at, software and accessories (especially cables) are the money makers. Here is an example of this, like I said I worked in computer retail I was a manager at CompUSA for almost eight years. A 6' Belkin USB 2.0 cable retailed for around $21.99 the stores average cost on the cable was around $2.50 or so. That is why we, and every other retailer pimps cables. Same with add on software, it just drives the margin on the sale up. And don't even get me started on how nice it was to add on an extended service. If you go into any retail store and say that you only want the computer and nothing else I bet the sales associate will cringe.

Do you know how often Mac users buy OS X? Only when a new version is out. Majority of the time it comes with the system. Therefore not as often as people buying their new hardware. The other software is a different ball game. We are talking about OS X here.

Back