Analyst: Publishers Won't Block Used Games, Much

It is going to be interesting when XBtwo comes out and they drop support for XBone and everyone sees their libraries disappear with no recourse. If you are lucky they might allow you to rebuy the same game for XBtwo if you buy yet another copy within the XBtwo environment.

Call me crazy (it happens all the time), why don't the publishers & the big 3 (MS,Sony, Nintendo) just buy controlling stake in gamestop and demand they get compensated?...

Market Cap

Gamestop 4.23 Billion
Sony 20.33 Billion
MS 295.80 Billion (!)
Nintendo 13.89 Billion

Call me crazy (it happens all the time), why don't the publishers & the big 3 (MS,Sony, Nintendo) just buy controlling stake in gamestop and demand they get compensated?...

Market Cap

Gamestop 4.23 Billion
Sony 20.33 Billion
MS 295.80 Billion (!)
Nintendo 13.89 Billion

Because that would not deal with all the other forms of used games sales. Why spend 10 billion buying a company when you can spend a couple million to develop the technology to kill used games and deal with everyone involved in one shot.

Because that would not deal with all the other forms of used games sales. Why spend 10 billion buying a company when you can spend a couple million to develop the technology to kill used games and deal with everyone involved in one shot.

Yes but this is the biggest contributor. May as well see to the insane profit they have been making directly, then pay the publishers a small percentage (for those who pay a higher publishing price of course).

That's true, and in a lot of cases, you can get the same game for PCs for $10 less than on consoles, right as the game comes out. That's fairly significant to me.

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen nearly as often at release anymore. At least we do get that $10 off sale much faster.

Back