Analyst Predicts Weak Market for Samsung S8 Due to Attractive iPhone 8 Launch

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Renowned Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted that the Samsung S8 won't sell as well as the Apple iPhone 8 due to a number of factors. First of all he points out that the S7 had sales of 52 million units due to the Galaxy Note 7 debacle. His outlook for the Samsung S8 is only 40 - 45 million units sold during the 2017 fiscal year due to it not having the status of sole flagship this time around. He also believes that the Samsung S8 suffers from a lack of upgraded features. For example the rear camera is expected to remain at 12MP and still lacks a dual-lens setup. The front camera does get upgraded from 5MP to 8MP when compared to the S7.

The iPhone 8 by contrast is getting a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED panel where the virtual buttons limit it to 5.1-inch of practical area. Ironically this screen is being manufactured by Samsung. The video below shows off a new AMOLED display for an unknown phone that looks like the S8 leaks.

A KGI securities note seen by AppleInsider predicts the Galaxy S8 to have 5.8- and 6.2-inch OLED screens, with the smaller size featuring 2960x1440 WQHD+ resolution. The Qualcomm 8998 SoC is expected for the US and Japan markets, with the remainder of the world getting the phone equipped with the Exynos 9985.

Korean and Chinese units will boast 6GB of RAM, versus 4GB elsewhere. All models are expected to have a full-screen display with no physical home button, and 3D-curved cover glass.

The Korean and Chinese need the extra ram in their iPhone so that the hackware/ hidden government software needs a place to run and not slow the system down so they run like the phones that don't have it run I assume?

Guess I'm the minority. I got the SE when my 4 died because of the small screen. Don't need to carry a tablet with me to send a text.

Once a viable flip phone or minimalist version hits the market, I would buy that. I still use my ipod shuffle due to its tiny footprint.

Guess I'm the minority. I got the SE when my 4 died because of the small screen. Don't need to carry a tablet with me to send a text.

Once a viable flip phone or minimalist version hits the market, I would buy that. I still use my ipod shuffle due to its tiny footprint.

I'm with you, flexible screens on flip-smart phones are the goal for me as well.

I don't understand who the people are who cross-shop Samsung and Apple phones, for whom the release of one would be competition for the other.

Everyone I ever talk to is so deeply entrenched in either Apple or Android land, that they would never cross over to the other side.

I would have thought that other Android handset makers would be more competition for Samsung.

We all know they DO exist right? For some reason, the media tend to equate Android with Samsung, but that seems silly. My last 6 phones have been Android phones, and the last 5 of those have not been Samsung phones.

Samsung Galaxy S3 -> LG G2 -> Motorola Droid Turbo -> Asus Zenfone 2 -> Nexus 5x -> Google Pixel

who would want an iphone when you can get a 6.2" S8 ? Im all for a bigger screen !!

I feel like "the bigger screen" argument was more of an argument back in the days when the largest thing Apple had was the iPhone 4s or earlier models.

These days with the iPhone 6 plus, if you want a largish phone, you can get one from apple. I think very few users want to go bigger than that, due to difficulty manipulating the phone with one hand, and limited pocket space. Personally I have found the ideal phone size to be that of my old Galaxy S3 with a display of 4.8".

I have pretty large hands, and no phone larger than that has ever fully passed the single handed thumb use test, where the bottom corner of the phone stays in the palm, and you have to be able to reach the opposing top corner with your thumb. I can go slightly larger than the S3 if I allow the corner to slip out of and below my palm, but now we are at a higher risk of the phone being dropped, and even that trick has its limits.

I don't think I'd be happy with a phone much larger than probably 5.2" at its max.

I'm surprised that he didn't bring up Samsung's battery issues as being another reason for potential lackluster sales.

who would want an iphone when you can get a 6.2" S8 ? Im all for a bigger screen !!

I don't want an iPhone, but I'm sure as hell not getting an S8. I'm on Verizon and the locked bootloader means that I still can't root my S7 and all these crap carrier specific apps can't be removed from my phone. Screw that noise. I'll be buying a Pixel or Pixel 2 depending on when the 2 gets released and when i need a new phone.

Why would anyone spend 500+ on a small screen iPhone when im typing this on 59$ lg rebel that does EVERYTHING.

Personally, I would consider Samsung's phones if not for two things:

1.) Touch-Jizz
2.) Poor updates.

I actually like Samsung's hardware (well, you know, at least when it's not catching on fire) but on the software side they leave much to be desired. I really just want an AOSP-like experience without bloat and extra "differentiating" software features.

If Samsung took the Nexus/Pixel approach and gave me at least monthly security updates and guaranteed updates to the latest Android version, and killed off all in-house software simply packaging it with a standard google launcher, I'd probably buy one. The hardware is great.

1.) Touch-Jizz
2.) Poor updates.

I actually like Samsung's hardware (well, you know, at least when it's not catching on fire) but on the software side they leave much to be desired. I really just want an AOSP-like experience without bloat and extra "differentiating" software features.

If Samsung took the Nexus/Pixel approach and gave me at least monthly security updates and guaranteed updates to the latest Android version, and killed off all in-house software simply packaging it with a standard google launcher, I'd probably buy one. The hardware is great.
Yup - there is no reason to alter the stock Android OS, and I don't understand why Samsung believes this is necessary.

Yup - there is no reason to alter the stock Android OS, and I don't understand why Samsung believes this is necessary.

Well, SOME modification is necessary. If you were to just grab the AOSP source code, it would fail to compile. AOSP isn't quite as turnkey of a piece of software as some would have you believe, but they also don't need to try to reinvent the wheel, or add in a bunch of useless crap in the name of "product differentiation"

Wondering if this guy was also one of the 'analysts' who said Trump wouldn't be President.

I want to go back to an iPhone after being in the Samsung camp for the past ~8 years but I also like the idea of being able to use it for VR which I know isn't in the cards for Apple.

1.) Touch-Jizz
2.) Poor updates.

touch-wizz is easily taken care of Google Now Launcher is your friend.

After needing to help with my elder family member's phones, I have to say that while the hardware 'feel' of iPhone 7 plus is completely unparallel'ed, the ecosystem is something I am not particularly fond of. Using the stock OS with no extra Apps, I found very little options to transfer contacts between iPhone to another Android phone, which is a major minus for me because they swap phones often (due to combination of one having to leave the country often and there is only 1 unlimited plan SIM card in the entire house).

That being said, Android phones isn't all bells and whistles either, update wise you are at the mercy of the individual Android manufacturer's for updates, and Google phones are also taking part is what I call "Spec wars" that is so running rampant in Android market (high end chips being paired with High res touch screens, latter of which are often useless at the screen sizes of phones and completely obliterates the advantages of faster chips).

On the topic of RAM sizes, I think that has something to do with Market priority. They are giving more RAM to Korean customers for obvious reasons, and in China because Spec wars are out in full force, especially considering they have a much greater competition pool (Xiaomi, Huawei, OPPO, not to mention Asus or other less common brands). They already have done something similar before with S7 where the SoC on US and China versions are Qualcomm chips and rest of the world are using Exynos SoC's (most likely due to licensing issues).

I feel like "the bigger screen" argument was more of an argument back in the days when the largest thing Apple had was the iPhone 4s or earlier models.

These days with the iPhone 6 plus, if you want a largish phone, you can get one from apple. I think very few users want to go bigger than that, due to difficulty manipulating the phone with one hand, and limited pocket space. Personally I have found the ideal phone size to be that of my old Galaxy S3 with a display of 4.8".

I have pretty large hands, and no phone larger than that has ever fully passed the single handed thumb use test, where the bottom corner of the phone stays in the palm, and you have to be able to reach the opposing top corner with your thumb. I can go slightly larger than the S3 if I allow the corner to slip out of and below my palm, but now we are at a higher risk of the phone being dropped, and even that trick has its limits.

I don't think I'd be happy with a phone much larger than probably 5.2" at its max.

To be fair, as a Samsung fan since the original Galaxy Nexus, I have a HUGE issue with their new "curved" screen styles. Drop it one time even with a protection case and BAM, huge crack across the screen. Pretty much a guaranteed crack or 3 by the end of your first year.

This in turn (since they are doing it again for S8 Edge and S8, unlike S7 where they only did S7 Edge) I am actually considering TRYING out the iPhone. I don't want to... but... well... This is pretty bad.

To be fair, as a Samsung fan since the original Galaxy Nexus, I have a HUGE issue with their new "curved" screen styles. Drop it one time even with a protection case and BAM, huge crack across the screen. Pretty much a guaranteed crack or 3 by the end of your first year.

This in turn (since they are doing it again for S8 Edge and S8, unlike S7 where they only did S7 Edge) I am actually considering TRYING out the iPhone. I don't want to... but... well... This is pretty bad.

I can agree with that. I feel like the "curve" models are a useless attempt to stand out and be different for no good reason.

All they accomplish is to make it difficult to use a good protective case, and make the phones more susceptible to damage.

I can agree with that. I feel like the "curve" models are a useless attempt to stand out and be different for no good reason.

All they accomplish is to make it difficult to use a good protective case, and make the phones more susceptible to damage.

Not just that, but after experiencing it myself it also seems to be a cash grab for repairs/replacements. It's incredibly difficult to separate the screen from the LCD and such (I think there are 3 items glued together total), and requires exact precision. I got a repair quote for laughs and they said $300. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Last edited:

The iPhone isn't the only viable alternative to the Samsung S8... there are other Android options!!!

Isn't this year suppose to be iPhone 7s and iPhone 8 for 2018?
Yes - the 7s and 7s plus would be next. I guess it's the 10th anniversary so people think Apple is doing something special. I hate reading all of the "leaks" and "insiders" - so much fake BS floats around until the launch. I guess they have to get people to go to their sites for ad revenue?

Is the Samsung brand damaged after the battery issues? I mean, they had to recall a whole frickin product line last year! If I were interested in a Samsung, I'd at least be waiting until other people bought them first.

Let me necro an old term. Fanboy.

You don't get to be a successful Apple Analyst unless you are one.

Theres going to be an iphone 8 now? What the hell happened to the 7? Didn't it launch like 37 seconds ago?

Why would anyone spend 500+ on a small screen iPhone when im typing this on 59$ lg rebel that does EVERYTHING.

/s ???

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-L44VL-rebel-lte

Summary Screen Size 4.5 inches
Screen Resolution 854 x 480 pixels
Battery Capacity 1,940 mAh
Camera Resolution 5 MP
Processor Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 1.1 GHz Quad-Core MSM8909
Memory -
Storage 8 GB (up to 3.02 GB usable) - expandable via microSD™ card (sold separately)

Memory is 1GB. LG does not mention this for obvious reasons.

/s ???

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-L44VL-rebel-lte

Summary Screen Size 4.5 inches
Screen Resolution 854 x 480 pixels
Battery Capacity 1,940 mAh
Camera Resolution 5 MP
Processor Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 1.1 GHz Quad-Core MSM8909
Memory -
Storage 8 GB (up to 3.02 GB usable) - expandable via microSD™ card (sold separately)

Memory is 1GB. LG does not mention this for obvious reasons.
Yet it works quite well.. its quite surprising to be honest. At 59 i thought i was buying something unusable. Thats not the case at all...
I don't prefer small screens at all, but I wasn't going to spend any significant amount of money. Small screen high end phones are a rip off...matter of fact high end phones in general are looking more and more like a ripoff.

Yes - the 7s and 7s plus would be next. I guess it's the 10th anniversary so people think Apple is doing something special. I hate reading all of the "leaks" and "insiders" - so much fake BS floats around until the launch. I guess they have to get people to go to their sites for ad revenue?

By this stage I would like to think everyone is familiar with the hyperbole preceding a Apple product launch, which includes all the new features Apple could implement, followed by the reality of finally discovering the small amount of new features that Apple choose to implement, thus saving those other desirable features for next year's model. So long as Apple followers continue to buy said new product with minimal upgrades, Apple will continue this practice.

I don't want an iPhone, but I'm sure as hell not getting an S8. I'm on Verizon and the locked bootloader means that I still can't root my S7 and all these crap carrier specific apps can't be removed from my phone. Screw that noise. I'll be buying a Pixel or Pixel 2 depending on when the 2 gets released and when i need a new phone.

I have a Vz Moto Z and there is not much carrier bloat. I think there are only 2 Vz-branded apps that I can't uninstall, one was a Vz voicemail app and I think the other was a Vz messenger. I agree though, not being able to unlock the bootloader is a huge annoyance.

oh, look, 3D curved glass that makes it near impossible to get a tight fitting tempered glass screen protector.

No thanks.

Back