An issue with the Asus STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING and, indirectly, the [H] review

LightingGod

Weaksauce
So, I’ve been reading [H]ardOCP for the better part of fifteen years. I remember buying my Athlon 2500 Barton and overclocking to a 3200 all on recommendations from Kyle and Co., and they’ve never led me astray. But now I have an issue with a card that I bought because of a review here on the [H], and because of that I thought I should post it here.

I read the review of the ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 O8G GAMING and, long story short, I bought it. So I get it earlier this week, do a fresh install of Win7 Pro, and install the latest drivers from the AMD site (16.12.2). But no matter how I try, I can’t get the card to recognize all of my monitors. I run a triple-monitor setup like so many here (again, bought after they were reviewed on the [H]) that are all DVI-D, so one is hooked up directly to the DVI port, one to a HDMI port via adapter, and one to a DP port via adapter. The only one that receives signal is the one connected via HDMI. I know that all the ports work (the crappy base Win7 driver output to all screens), so I give Asus tech support a call.

Here’s where the story gets interesting. The guy I talk to at Asus tells me that the problem is that I’m using the latest driver from AMD. He goes on to tell me that the only drivers Asus supports are the ones downloaded from the Asus website and that Asus won’t guarantee the basic functionality of the card with any other drivers. When I mention to him that the drivers on the Asus site are three months old and AMD has released 9(!) driver updates since Asus released their last driver, and those updates included support for games I bought during Christmas like Dishonored 2 and Civ 6, he says that doesn’t matter and I should just download the drivers from the Asus site or the card won’t work correctly.

I went and looked back at the review, and I saw that Brent had indeed used the latest available generic AMD driver for testing. I also saw the monitor he used, but there was no mention of how he connected it to the card. Nor was there any mention of multi-monitor testing, even just as far as basic functionality.

So, I have a couple of questions.

First, is this the SOP now with video cards? It’s been a few years since I bought a desktop card, but in recent history I’ve had cards from Gigabyte, Sapphire, and Powercolor (all AMD/ATI chipsets) and none of them had any such silly restrictions on using the driver only from the AIB partner versus directly from AMD. So am I just getting worked up for nothing because this is how it is now? Or is there something off about this situation?

And second, if the official position from Asus is that only drivers from the Asus website are supported, shouldn’t that have been mentioned in the review and testing been done with the Asus drivers instead of the AMD drivers? Or is the question of what drivers to use for testing even asked? And if so, is the follow-up question asked whether the specified driver insures the basic functionality of the card, i.e. the ability to use more than one monitor at a time? I wonder how big of a difference using the ASUS driver would have made to the results. It sure would have made a difference in my decision to buy the card. And as so many [H] readers go multi-monitor, the ability to do that with the card & driver as tested seems like a big deal to me.

This post is not made to bag on Kyle, Brent, or [H]ardOCP. They are my most trusted source of hardware info. My main beef is with Asus. But because my decision to buy this card was very heavily influenced by the [H]ardOCP review, I have an indirect issue with the review itself. If I’m off base, please tell me so and why. That’s why I posted here- to get feedback from the [H] community. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

If you plug only one monitor in at a time can you get it to display at each port independently?

Unfortunately not. As soon as I installed the driver, the only displays that worked were the HDMI outputs. It blows my mind that this card won't output on the DP or DVI with the generic AMD driver. That's why I called Asus- I was sure there was something I wasn't doing. But apparently not, according to Asus.

Unfortunately not. As soon as I installed the driver, the only displays that worked were the HDMI outputs. It blows my mind that this card won't output on the DP or DVI with the generic AMD driver. That's why I called Asus- I was sure there was something I wasn't doing. But apparently not, according to Asus.
Sorry if you tried this, but does it work with the recommended driver from Asus?
Would help to quickly identify if hardware-setting issue.
Cheers

Well,

Sucks that your having an issue.

But how does that have much to do with the hardware review?

They are looking for GPU performance numbers, for the most part. And your having a technical issue with multiple displays, that probably wouldn't even come up in a review that's looking at performance numbers.

That isn't to say that maybe they could test multiple monitor stuff, but the testing is already time consuming, and what benefit does it really add over something like 4K testing, which is more hardware intensive, apart from proving that all the ports work simultaneously on the card?

So, I’ve been reading [H]ardOCP for the better part of fifteen years. I remember buying my Athlon 2500 Barton and overclocking to a 3200 all on recommendations from Kyle and Co., and they’ve never led me astray. But now I have an issue with a card that I bought because of a review here on the [H], and because of that I thought I should post it here.

I read the review of the ASUS ROG STRIX RX 480 O8G GAMING and, long story short, I bought it. So I get it earlier this week, do a fresh install of Win7 Pro, and install the latest drivers from the AMD site (16.12.2). But no matter how I try, I can’t get the card to recognize all of my monitors. I run a triple-monitor setup like so many here (again, bought after they were reviewed on the [H]) that are all DVI-D, so one is hooked up directly to the DVI port, one to a HDMI port via adapter, and one to a DP port via adapter. The only one that receives signal is the one connected via HDMI. I know that all the ports work (the crappy base Win7 driver output to all screens), so I give Asus tech support a call.

Here’s where the story gets interesting. The guy I talk to at Asus tells me that the problem is that I’m using the latest driver from AMD. He goes on to tell me that the only drivers Asus supports are the ones downloaded from the Asus website and that Asus won’t guarantee the basic functionality of the card with any other drivers. When I mention to him that the drivers on the Asus site are three months old and AMD has released 9(!) driver updates since Asus released their last driver, and those updates included support for games I bought during Christmas like Dishonored 2 and Civ 6, he says that doesn’t matter and I should just download the drivers from the Asus site or the card won’t work correctly.

I went and looked back at the review, and I saw that Brent had indeed used the latest available generic AMD driver for testing. I also saw the monitor he used, but there was no mention of how he connected it to the card. Nor was there any mention of multi-monitor testing, even just as far as basic functionality.

First, is this the SOP now with video cards? It’s been a few years since I bought a desktop card, but in recent history I’ve had cards from Gigabyte, Sapphire, and Powercolor (all AMD/ATI chipsets) and none of them had any such silly restrictions on using the driver only from the AIB partner versus directly from AMD. So am I just getting worked up for nothing because this is how it is now? Or is there something off about this situation?

And second, if the official position from Asus is that only drivers from the Asus website are supported, shouldn’t that have been mentioned in the review and testing been done with the Asus drivers instead of the AMD drivers? Or is the question of what drivers to use for testing even asked? And if so, is the follow-up question asked whether the specified driver insures the basic functionality of the card, i.e. the ability to use more than one monitor at a time? I wonder how big of a difference using the ASUS driver would have made to the results. It sure would have made a difference in my decision to buy the card. And as so many [H] readers go multi-monitor, the ability to do that with the card & driver as tested seems like a big deal to me.

This post is not made to bag on Kyle, Brent, or [H]ardOCP. They are my most trusted source of hardware info. My main beef is with Asus. But because my decision to buy this card was very heavily influenced by the [H]ardOCP review, I have an indirect issue with the review itself. If I’m off base, please tell me so and why. That’s why I posted here- to get feedback from the [H] community. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

There are always bad apples, you might have gotten one of them, Asus tends to make good products, and their support is good too. Just talk to them and be presistanent and nice, they will get ya a new card and that should fix the problems you are having.

They said use their drivers, use them, and if its a problem with their card, its going to show up anyways. If the problem isn't there, then yeah its a driver problem and maybe something that was tweaked on AMD drivers messed something up. All you have to do is wait for Asus to make their version of the driver available for download.

I don't feel they called anyone out or blamed them. They wanted to know if these are things they test on video cards.. you know, the FEATURES.

"...because my decision to buy this card was very heavily influenced by the [H]ardOCP review, I have an indirect issue with the review itself. If I’m off base, please tell me so and why. That’s why I posted here- to get feedback from the [H] community. Thoughts and comments are appreciated."

There are always bad apples, you might have gotten one of them, Asus tends to make good products, and their support is good too. Just talk to them and be presistanent and nice, they will get ya a new card and that should fix the problems you are having.

They said use their drivers, use them, and if its a problem with their card, its going to show up anyways. If the problem isn't there, then yeah its a driver problem and maybe something that was tweaked on AMD drivers messed something up. All you have to do is wait for Asus to make their version of the driver available for download.

If that were the case, I would return it and get a different one, such as the XFX RX 480 GTR version. There should be absolutely no reason to have to use a driver like Asus says too just to get video out per individual monitor alone.

If that were the case, I would return it and get a different one, such as the XFX RX 480 GTR version. There should be absolutely no reason to have to use a driver like Asus says too just to get video out per individual monitor alone.

well he just needs to test out the asus driver, pretty sure its a card issue, cause I haven't seen any one have this particular complaint, but yeah that is an option too if its available.

My reference Sapphire RX 480 is hooked to a DP monitor and a HDMI monitor. When the PC boots it tends to use the HDMI until Windows 10 64 is running. Then it switches to the default DP monitor as the main display. Even though the monitors aren't even the same resolution, I can drag tabs in Chrome from one monitor to the next. The monitor setup is the default Windows 10 Display Settings for me. I just have to right click the desktop background and choose Display Settings. I haven't run Win 7 64 in so long that I've forgotten what it is there.

I can even enable VSR and make my monitors into pseudo 4K monitors. Maybe try unplugging the secondary monitors and then confirming that they all work by plugging them in one by one? The new drivers have a function in the driver menu to let you know if a HDMI cable is bad. Did you try enabling Eyefinity and messed it up? You shouldn't have to enable that. Just use the Windows Display settings unless you need Eyefinity enabled.

the whole asus drivers only thing is just for support. most manufacturers will only support what they provide, this is normal. you cant blame [H] for your buying decision if you use was multi-monitor as {h} never mentioned or evaluated that. you should have done more research prior to purchase.

your issues could be the age of the monitors and/or mishmash of connections/adapters. have you tried win10?

No matter how good the reputation of the card maker there will always be issues with a card or two. I'd try to RMA your card.

What? lol Buy Nvidia and stop blaming others.

Terrible advice in this situation and completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

He needs to reach out to the manufacturer, in this case Asus.

If this were a thread about an nVidia card would you tell him to go buy AMD? No, so just don't bother saying anything at all unless you're gonna help or contribute in a meaningful way.

@Op

Reach out to Asus and see what they say and glhf

Have to be a bit careful with ASUS, they told someone on [H] a few years ago that the only way to Crossfire their 6950 DCUII was with another DCUII and no other cards worked.

I had to tell that guy that ASUS was wrong and I could prove it because I was tri-fire'ing my 6950 DCUII w/ ref. 6990 and a XFX 6950.

What ASUS told you about the drivers may be just a level-1 helpdesk tech covering their ass over non-tested scenarios.

I sincerely doubt it is an ASUS vs AMD driver issue, the ASUS card isn't so special it needs its own drivers.

Try the ASUS driver anyway just to confirm, but it looks to me either:

- your DP adapter is acting up (I use them myself, I know they can be finicky especially the dual-DVI versions) - BTW, are you using an active or passive DP adapter?

- you have a configuration error, very possible if you are using Eyefinity

- you have a bad card (that's actually not that likely because the outputs are working with the generic Win7 driver)

Any chance you could load up Win10 just for testing purposes? That way you can isolate an OS/driver combination issue.

Wanting to run the latest AMD drivers on the old Windows 7 OS seems funny, but I guess that's just me. ;-)

Perhaps they worked out the issue with the newest drivers with the newest OS.

I own both the XFX RX 480 GTR version and Sapphire RX480 Oc and never had these issues with multiple monitors. It sounds like you got a bad card and should return it.I'm using displayport and no issues on either card.

Pretty sure the [H] review was on win10, so no guarantee that even if they tested 3 monitor it would behave the same as your system. The issue may lie somewhere in your antiquated OS coupled with modern hardware/drivers.

This card only works with HDMI? If the card is defective, what's that got to do with anyone else? The specific issue seems wacky.

We plug in our monitor on the DisplayPort, and we use the latest AMD driver, never had an issue with using DisplayPort or Multi-Monitor with the official AMD driver. I've never used a driver from a manufacturers website, like, ever. 20 years of reviewing video cards, and multi-monitor configs, always used the official NV or AMD/ATI driver.

Pretty sure the [H] review was on win10, so no guarantee that even if they tested 3 monitor it would behave the same as your system. The issue may lie somewhere in your antiquated OS coupled with modern hardware/drivers.
Antiquated OS?

What ASUS told you about the drivers may be just a level-1 helpdesk tech covering their ass over non-tested scenarios.
I sincerely doubt it is an ASUS vs AMD driver issue, the ASUS card isn't so special it needs its own drivers.
Try the ASUS driver anyway just to confirm............................................

I have to agree here.
Although i also believe that you run into a level-1 helpdesk, from the other hand, theoritecally he/she was correct. Since it's an ASUS product & and since ASUS is releasing their own drivers, these are the only drivers that ASUS has responsibility for.
But just like other guys already said, you have to try them first in order to verify that.

Windows 7 came out in 2009.

In addition to that it's practically the only OS of that time that still has any kind of support. Every OSX or Linux build from that time period is no longer supported.

Wish Win7 would go away, like Win8.1+ or not, that is how we keep progressing and ensure innovation continue's to thrive.

So, I’ve been reading [H]ardOCP for the better part of fifteen years. I remember buying my Athlon 2500 Barton and overclocking to a 3200 all on recommendations from Kyle and Co., and they’ve never led me astray. But now I have an issue with a card that I bought because of a review here on the [H], and because of that I thought I should post it here.......

I skimmed the thread again and don't see it mentioned anywhere what kind of monitors you're using? Are they all the same model or are they different?

I ran an eyefinity/surround setups for almost 5 years and occasionally ran into issues like this and more times than not it was the adapters/cable causing issues.

What other inputs are available on your monitors? Have you tried swapping the inputs around with the troublesome driver installed? That info may help with troubleshooting.

Like Brent said, I've never ever EVER installed a vendor specific driver for a GPU outside of maybe a random laptop here or there 10+ years ago.

Active/Passive adapters as someone else mentioned?

Yeah I second the question on how you are actually hooking the monitors up. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are running 3 DVI monitors, one directly from DVI, a dvi to hdmi adapter and a displayport to dvi adapter.
So what resolutions are you drying to drive from the card? I ask because I have had terrible experience on my HP Zr27w (2560x1440) trying to run from any adapter from hdmi.
Second which I am not sure is still the case but AMD cards used to have a maximum active display output so you could run HDMI but not DVI on some shared ports, not sure in your case but have you tried switching to the second HDMI port and DVI, or both hdmi?

Maybe a final bit of advice, you might try to see if there is a gpu bios update which I think is accessible through the Asus gpu utility, I was having some really weird issues with my Gigabyte RX470 that a bios update helped, but it was more random crashing type stuff.

Missed the post above: but if you are running the Benq v2400's why not just use hdmi to hdmi on two of the monitors?

Since it's an ASUS product & and since ASUS is releasing their own drivers, these are the only drivers that ASUS has responsibility for.

I have an ASUS Strix 1070 (yeah, I know - bear with me) and it works fine with drivers off the Nvidia website - no ASUS specific drivers needed. I have to go with with "lame helpdesk checklist for $200, Alex".

I have an ASUS Strix 1070 (yeah, I know - bear with me) and it works fine with drivers off the Nvidia website - no ASUS specific drivers needed. I have to go with with "lame helpdesk checklist for $200, Alex".

I don't understand why are you telling me this.
First of all, we are talking about AMD's drivers not NVidia's, so the fact that your NV drivers work flawlessly isn't necessarily true for AMD as well ( theoretically speaking).
Secondly, i also own several ASUS GPUs (*GeForce4 MX440, 7600GT, 450GTS, 750, 750 Ti, 780 Poseidon ). Just like you said, all of them, ( besides Geforce4MX440 in which -if i remember correctly- i had used ASUS's cd drivers) run perfectly with NVidia drivers.
But the point is when ASUS has responsibility for non-working drivers. Since they are releasing their own drivers, then this is the only case they have responsibility in a driver-error situation.
(*unless they were using only NVidia's or AMD's drivers, in which case they would be responsible in an error situation)

P.S. Lastly, as was already mentioned and i agree with, probably ASUS's helpdesk was only level-1. I was talking theoretically about when ASUS has responsibility or not.

I don't understand why are you telling me this.

Because it's an ASUS card and doesn't need ASUS drivers. That's why I put the "(yeah, I know - bear with me)" in there - I realize you have an AMD card and AMD and Nvidia are different companies and use different drivers, but if ASUS creates proprietary drivers for one brand, and that brand functions fine without the proprietary drivers, then perhaps the other brand will also function properly without the proprietary drivers.

as others have said, i have 2 asus rx480, 3 asus r9 380s and never use asus drivers. make sure you have an active display port adapter -- if you do maybe it went bad?

Even though you mentioned all 3 monitors working using the default Windows VGA driver, a pretty quick and simple way to figure out if it is indeed a hardware/software problem would be to fire up any modern Linux distro via USB or LiveCD and see if the issues persist there. Part of me feels like Win7 is your issue...

Like everyone including myself has said it's incredibly odd that Asus instructed you to download their custom driver. I'm quite perplexed that was even their solution and almost sounds to me like a low-level support rep not knowing wtf they're talking about. I've had plenty of Asus cards from both camps and never ever ran into this issue and I would almost guarantee there's plenty of others out there running a similar setup on that exact same card.

Email me the documentation of Asus' explanation please.

Yeah I second the question on how you are actually hooking the monitors up. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are running 3 DVI monitors, one directly from DVI, a dvi to hdmi adapter and a displayport to dvi adapter.
So what resolutions are you drying to drive from the card? I ask because I have had terrible experience on my HP Zr27w (2560x1440) trying to run from any adapter from hdmi.
Second which I am not sure is still the case but AMD cards used to have a maximum active display output so you could run HDMI but not DVI on some shared ports, not sure in your case but have you tried switching to the second HDMI port and DVI, or both hdmi?

Maybe a final bit of advice, you might try to see if there is a gpu bios update which I think is accessible through the Asus gpu utility, I was having some really weird issues with my Gigabyte RX470 that a bios update helped, but it was more random crashing type stuff.

Missed the post above: but if you are running the Benq v2400's why not just use hdmi to hdmi on two of the monitors?

it's manufacture/card dependent whether the HDMI and DVI port are shared. the only thing thats important here is whether or not they're active or passive adapters since they both have different resolution limitations which is what i'm betting he's running into.

Even though you mentioned all 3 monitors working using the default Windows VGA driver, a pretty quick and simple way to figure out if it is indeed a hardware/software problem would be to fire up any modern Linux distro via USB or LiveCD and see if the issues persist there. Part of me feels like Win7 is your issue...

Like everyone including myself has said it's incredibly odd that Asus instructed you to download their custom driver. I'm quite perplexed that was even their solution and almost sounds to me like a low-level support rep not knowing wtf they're talking about. I've had plenty of Asus cards from both camps and never ever ran into this issue and I would almost guarantee there's plenty of others out there running a similar setup on that exact same card.

with the default windows drivers it's just going into clone mode which i believe he mentioned early on in the thread. pretty much any card can do that even the old ass cards using DVI VGA and s-vid. the problem i believe he is having is when he's trying to split them into unique displays and the drivers are failing to accept it. which could be that the drivers don't like the adapters or they don't support the correct resolutions or that the DVI and HDMI ports are shared connections(ok checked, none of the ports are shared and should be able to have displays connected to all 5 ports at the same time)

i'm still leaning toward it being the adapters, if he's in fact using the monitors in his sig they should have HDMI support unless he has an older model or something so he should be able to directly connect them that way, if the monitors work with the hdmi cable in the way he wants then we know were the problem is.

Last edited:
Being that I bought an ASUS R9 390 STRIX whose DIP Switch I've seen conflicting reports about (some say it's for Silent BIOS / Performance BIOS, some say Legacy / UEFI mode, some say Normal / LN2 mode), is it possible that your 480 has one as well and either you had fiddled with it at some point or unknowingly switched its position while handing it? I tried digging up details on whether 480s had switches, and whether the STRIX in particular did, but Google isn't as good with providing results as it once was. I did manage to dig up a Sapphire Nitro 480 that has a switch though, so I know it's not totally outside the realm of possibility, given the Nitro and STRIX are (IMO) in the same enthusiast-level together.
In this pic (of the Nitro), it's on the upper-left, near the bracket. On my 390 STRIX it's at the back near the 8pin power plugs.
http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/sapphire-rx480-nitro.jpg
I don't know if Legacy Mode will be required in order to utilize multimonitor, displayport, etc on these new cards, or if that's even something that matters with UEFI-based cards (it feels familiar that it is related, though). Yet I can easily see it being a case where if it's an LN2 mode it will limit display output to a single port only, and perhaps even to only an HDMI/DVI port.
Similarly, while even I agree that the "ASUS Drivers" response is no doubt BS... I can't help but think there is some small, reminisce chance that maybe there is some truth to it, only as far as Win 7 is concerned. That perhaps their driver package installs some sort of software or driver that operates the video port side of the card, but is not needed in Win8/10 due to being baked into the OS (Bulldozer CMT kernel support, anyone?). Easiest way to know would be dissecting their driver package and compare it to AMD's of the same version (lots has changed with ReLive so would be best not to use that).

While I understand this next idea is a longshot... no one seems to have asked what his system specs are in general. I say this because if he's running an AMD processor, and specifically an APU or even a Phenom II with an integrated graphics chipset, there are BIOS options to allow the onboard graphics ports to work in conjunction with your graphics card solely for multi-monitor purposes. Now, I realize the possibility of this being low, but it doesn't hurt to toss it out there. Once upon a time it was called Surround View, I don't know if AMD stuck with that naming on the Bulldozer-based APUs.

Unfortunately, there's lots of variables that are not being addressed by the OP, making it difficult for us to know or help diagnose. Hopefully if we keep spit-balling, so long as he's trying them, perhaps we'll eventually land on the solution! :D

Back