An essay on WoW from the bigges WoW fanboy here

CodeX

2[H]4U
This isn't what you think it is. I am not going to tell you why WoW is so great. Instead, I am going to tell you why such a great game is hated by so many people, including myself recently.

Now, I am an intelligent, eloquent person who can express myself in writing better than most. Most people who are dissatisfied with WoW have to strain to connect two neurons to say things such as "wow sucks" or "wow will ruin your life"... but not me. I will tell you exactly why these people think that but in a way better suited for educated people and not so much for monkeys.

I am getting pretty sick of wow. First let me tell you my story. I have a warlock in full epic gear. Now, this is pve epic, not pvp I dont like pvp'ing. I put TONS of time and effort into my character, I have spent tens of thousands of gold on my gear in the form of enchants, gems, mats to make it in the first place, rep items to get it, etc. I am done with kara, done with heroic badges, done with crafted items, done with heroics, done with rep items, done with EVERYTHING except 25 man raids. There is nothing I can do to improve my character outside of raiding.

Herein lies the problem. On my server there is a total 10 guilds that can even handle the raids that I need to do to improve myself. I have applied to all of them. The ones I got into raid at 6am and I can't do that because I work full time. The other ones are closed and not accepting applications. So, realizing this, I joined a top 20 guild progressing through gruuls/mags. What I found was people who A) Never showed up on time to raid, B) Didnt put anywhere near the effort into their character that I did and as a result weighed down the whole group, or C) Would rather PVP than raid. I have been in 5 of the top 20 guilds on my server in the last 2 weeks and they are all the same, they are going nowhere.

It seems that TK/SSC and beyond is so restrictive there are literally only a handful of guilds on my server capable of it or who will ever be capable of it. Not being able to find one got me depressed.

BUT... BUT, that is not the problem. The problem is that I got DEPRESSED, literally depressed by this, by a game, by not being able to progress my character further. What I realized is I am basically done with the game. There is more content, but try as I might it is out of my reach, and that is NOT due to me not trying I ASSURE you. Instead of accepting this and moving to a different game I grasped at straws and joined a whole bunch of guilds hoping that they would prove better than wowjutsu.com showed me they were.

The game has this hold on me, I feel I need to continue progressing my character solely because it is theoretically possible. But I realized, what is the end result of that. Even if I did get into a good guild, I would eventually find myself in this same situation, in a stalemate. And what would I do with all my uber gear? Nothing, there is not a damn thing I want to do with it now besides get better gear, why would there be later if I had the best?

When I farm in netherstorm I kill the things before the walk to me. My shadow bolts crit for 6000. I am likely in the top 5% of people on the server in terms of damage output. Do I care? Hell no. There is nothing to do with it but try to progress further. The only joy I find in the game now is from improving myself, but that is empty joy since the only reason I want to improve myself is so that I can do harder things to improve myself even more...

wow is an amazing game. I had a ton of fun playing it. The key to it is this: KNOW WHEN YOU ARE DONE, AND ACCEPT IT. Every game comes to an end, just because wow doesnt look like it has an ending doesnt mean it doesnt. I wish I could forget the game entirely, like amnesia, and level my first character for the first time again, but I can't, its over and it was unbeliavably hard to accept that.

So, in closing. WoW does not suck, wow is a great game. You just need to know when to stop playing it.

Back