An End To Unencrypted Digital Cable TV and the HTPC?

While it's just plain wrong to assume it doesn't cost someone somewhere something - it is just as wrong to assume every view is a lost sale. The reality, like a good many things, is somewhere in the middle.

I consider it a lost sale. Period. In my opinion those who say otherwise when they hit that torrent button are just deluding themselves to make their gut feel better.

The reality is sales have plummeted and these people with already meager jobs are losing them. It is their dream to animate in the varied culture of anime and that dream gets destroyed piece by piece when people hit that download button.

It is not like Hollywood with nice union jobs where only the people in accounting have to give a rats butt about the losses. There is huge amounts of people that want these jobs so pay is low. Many live in apartments with not even poor college kid furishments. When work dries up because piracy and the recession forces the networks to cut plans. They are without work.

It is a lost sale.

I consider it a lost sale. Period. In my opinion those who say otherwise when they hit that torrent button are just deluding themselves to make their gut feel better.

It is a lost sale.

Nice blanket statement. :rolleyes:

I have purchased the R1 dvd's of every anime I've downloaded.

Well I just bought my parents a Roku with a $8.99 a month subscription to Netflix. It seems that the Roku can give them all the content that they want and more. Enough so that they even decided to cancel cable.

Nice blanket statement. :rolleyes:

I have purchased the R1 dvd's of every anime I've downloaded.

Forgive me if I am wrong but MANY people have said that. And not just with tv but for movies and games.

If that was the case and all these people are suddenly "discovering" it through torrents. Why are the artists losing? Because half of these claimed "purchases" are just netspeak. A friend's roommate was hogging the network torrenting (Running so many at a time one could not even play Xbox live) Claimed he was just "seeing if they are worth anything" but went ahead and got all the seasons apparently without bothering to make a single purchase. If he diddn't like em why did he bother to download them.

Atleast when some going online there is ad money to be made. Tho that is being harmed by people using ad blockers.

Well I just bought my parents a Roku with a $8.99 a month subscription to Netflix. It seems that the Roku can give them all the content that they want and more. Enough so that they even decided to cancel cable.

That's the spirit!

And with netflix people are actually getting paid. It works for everyone except the cable company.

You must work in the industry or know someone that lost their job because that statement is so naive. I download TONS. Stuff i should pay for and dont. I dont pretend that Im just trying it (although for some wii games im glad i did) but I also download stuff I would never buy. I have the watchmen at home with zero desire to ever pay for or rent. If it wasnt just a download, I'd never see that movie so how is that a lost sale?

You must work in the industry or know someone that lost their job because that statement is so naive. I download TONS. Stuff i should pay for and dont. I dont pretend that Im just trying it (although for some wii games im glad i did) but I also download stuff I would never buy. I have the watchmen at home with zero desire to ever pay for or rent. If it wasnt just a download, I'd never see that movie so how is that a lost sale?
Because Zachstar and all the others who share your opinion believe that if you've seen it it doesn't matter how terrible it was. You still saw it and you still have to pay for it. Yes, I know it's terrible myopic.

Also, recent studies show that those who "pirate" media are the ones that end up buying more media! I can attest to that, I own a ton of DVDs, TV Show DVDs, music and anime (I don't DL games).

I'm just not dumb enough to buy tons of TV Shows over iTunes "just to check it out" and waste a shit ton of money on a low quality encode. :rolleyes:

Anime seasons are 20-50 dollars per season these days. What on earth is so wrong about reading the reviews and making a purchase.

Of course pirates want to twist my statements into some kind of "You have no choice you must buy citizen #25365245" statement and that is completely wrong. I am not saying they need to be forgiven for putting out crappy product but often its the GOOD product that gets pirated the most and with the costs needed to produce that it suffers the most. Bad product usually has bad reviews. And some of these reviews are downright detailed.

This is almost like that mentality that says "I didn't like the movie I saw at the theater today so I deserve my money back" Despite how the viewing was the product being sold. You are supposed to have to take your chances if you dont read reviews.

BTW I wonder how these "Studies" were carried out.

I've walked out of bad movies and gotten my money back. Reviews are subjective and can not give 100% accuracy. The day of selling bullshit by hyping it enough are coming to and end and those who continue to produce that shit will go out of business eventually.

As far as piracy, I'm against it but the reality is that people will do it no matter what. Make the legit thing available easily and cheaply and people will buy it.Tie it up in DRM and charge a lot for it (or multiple times in different formats) and people will pirate it. There is a certain percentage who will never buy anything but most people would buy if it was cheap and easy.

thats an interesting angle. the movie industry thinks you should pay the money even if you didnt like the movie, but any restaurant or cab driver that does a poor job gets blasted for still expecting customers to pay the bill.

its interesting because the movie industry loses virtually nothing for duplicating their product, but everything is there to be lost if copies of a resturaunt's product is returned, because that product cannot be resold. its apples and oranges, theyre not the same thing. one is piracy and the other is stealing. you should expect to have the right return a product if that return is not going to hurt the business greatly. and i think movies would get a hell of a lot better if people only had to pay full price if they actually thought it was worth it.

Going off of the movie thing, I watched "Watchmen" three times in the theaters cause it was just an awesome movie for me. That's, at just ticket price, $30 for three tickets even though I spent nearly $50 each time I went (pro tip: never go to movies hungry. lol). Regardless, the price I paid was nothing to me since I loved the movie. Other friends of mine saw it and didn't like the movie. If we all had the same thing at a restaurant I'm sure my friends who didn't enjoy the meal would have gotten their money back while I would have tipped very well.

So why does this not actually happen? Why is the movie industry so against progress and consumer right's?? They've gone so far as to declare "war" on their own customers by treating everyone as disgusting pirates. If any other industry did this they'd be driven out of business and they deserve it too. Hell, check out the music industry. They're losing billions each year and only the most delusional will blame that on piracy.

Back