An Analysis of GDDR6 and HBM2 Technologies

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Frank Ferro, senior director of product management at Rambus, discusses the differences in GDDR6 and HBM2 memory technologies; with a focus on the type of applications that each would be best suited for. Around the 8:54 mark he discusses how to combine older process nodes with 7nm process nodes and chiplets. Thanks to TheRetiredEngineer for the links.

Tech Talk: Frank Ferro, senior director of product management at Rambus, talks with Semiconductor Engineering about memory bottlenecks and why both GDDR6 and high-bandwidth memory are gaining steam and for which markets.

The one person I want to listen to an opinion/explanation from is a Senior Director at Rambus. /s Yikes, I'm surprised this can even be posted on a tech site.

The one person I want to listen to an opinion/explanation from is a Senior Director at Rambus. /s Yikes, I'm surprised this can even be posted on a tech site.

Yeah, it's not like he knows anything about memory, architecture, and its implementations. He's part of a company that was involved with a bad product once, thereby invalidating his knowledge and opinons for all eternity.

Yeah, it's not like he knows anything about memory, architecture, and its implementations. He's part of a company that was involved with a bad product once, thereby invalidating his knowledge and opinons for all eternity.
Exactly!

And it was a bad product core followed by the suits attempting to keep the organization alive through no R&D but frivolous lawsuits...

Reactions: DocNo
like this
I wonder if they'll use this video as an example of 'prior art' when they need their next round of funding *ahem* I mean frivolous patent lawsuits *ahem* I mean legitimate protection of their internally generated IP...

Heh, it's not even about RDRAM :)
But also I would leave the HBM and GDDR tech talk to Samsung or Micron who actually have an influencing stake in the JEDEC committees for these standards.

Last edited:
Back