An alternative to "pc speakers"

thetruth

Gawd
Got a sound card and are tired of tiny satellite pc speakers?

Get some decent cables and wire here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

The least expensive amps are here:

Pyle Pro PCA1 Mini 2x15W Stereo Power Amplifier

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-460

T-amp
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380

Get your speakers and subs here. Nothing fancy but cheap, solid and balanced sounding. No harsh highs or muddy mids. You get clear sound for a decent price.

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/Bookshelf-C6.aspx

Nothing fancy. For about $150 you get a good 2.0 and for another $100 a decent sub for 2.1. Beats the pants off any pc speaker package. Get a real stereo and jam your butt off.

cheers!

this was relevant to post why?

and why are we not using monoprice? (obviously budget doesn't matter when it comes to audiophile yuppie garbage, but when it comes to actual components theres no money to spend? (oh wait, forgot, because we spent it all on audiophile yuppie garbage))

and why is everything an absolute here?

you've established (and therefore have) no credibility, so I'm not inclined to take your views at face value, let alone as imperative absolutes

honestly I don't see the point of this thread, do you want a cookie or something?

bluntly: in your stated price range of $150-$250, theres about a thousand possible options, some are sold as PC speakers, others as active monitors, others consist of used equipment, and still others are home theatre gear, there is no "one size fits all absolute do it this way" answer, and if years of PA/HT experience (on top of even more years of IT experience and forum experience) have taught me anything, its that anyone trying to apply a cut and dry rule to something generally wide open, especially without even attempting to establish credibility, probably doesn't have all that many good answers or points to make

cheers

$30 for a 3ft cable? That's just way too much. You're recommending caviar alongside budget parts. Monoprice has great budget cables for low low prices.

3.5mm to rca cables (scroll down to the "Premium" cables): http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218

Speaker wire: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10239

Amazon has that same Pyle amp for $30 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KZNP4

honestly I don't see the point of this thread, do you want a cookie or something?
The thread title says it all, i'm sure he meant well :p. Cookie? i thought we awarded stars around here, hehe

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My $160:

$20 for nice cables and connectors and adapters {monoprice}
$40 for a used Denon AVR-1700 with no remote {weird stuff}
$100 for a used pair of Infinity CS-3006 (150W, 8ohms, 50-35k, 90db*2.83V/m) {craigslist}

So I recommend you ignore this guy and buy used stuff and don't make cables 90% of your budget.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but monoprice cables are really crappy. Of course, everyone's standard is different. FYI, Blue Jean cables are consider good bang for the bucks quality cable out there, $30 dollars for cables in a $250 setup is not much (~15%). And for a half decent 2.1 PC speaker from big name companies like Logitech, one could spend no more than $50 for everything and still being able to enjoy music.

My take on this is if you are on budget and want good quality sound, go with headphones. As most headphone of this price range could out perform speakers 5 times the cost.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but monoprice cables are really crappy. Of course, everyone's standard is different. FYI, Blue Jean cables are consider good bang for the bucks quality cable out there, $30 dollars for cables in a $250 setup is not much (~15%). And for a half decent 2.1 PC speaker from big name companies like Logitech, one could spend no more than $50 for everything and still being able to enjoy music.

My take on this is if you are on budget and want good quality sound, go with headphones. As most headphone of this price range could out perform speakers 5 times the cost.

wait are you actually going to argue that the price of a cable directly correlates to its quality, that all monoprice cables are the same, and that cables directly influence sound quality (therefore more expensive ones are required?)

I'll go get the marshmallows to roast on the fire you've just started, and the popcorn to eat while you try and "prove" this with highly flawed inductive reasoning and subjective "facts" (most of which are found as part of a manufacturer's "study" of the topic, right next to their pricing schedule and contact e-mail)

I don't want to start a flame war here, but monoprice cables are really crappy.
You're trying to preach to the choir and your blanket statements do all of us no good, especially when the regulars here already know that monoprice has both excellent cables, and shit cables.

With the budget audio parts the OP recommended, you're not going to hear any difference between these cables, and Bluejean cables. I guarantee it.

The rest is just blah blah blah as far as i'm concerned.

You're trying to preach to the choir and your blanket statements do all of us no good, especially when the regulars here already know that monoprice has both excellent cables, and shit cables.

With the budget audio parts the OP recommended, you're not going to hear the difference between these cables, and Bluejean cables. I guarantee it.

no, he's trying to save us all, for if we don't have "high end" cables, it'll be "unbearable" to listen to, and everyone will hear it, and then you'll have to kill yourself for listening to it, because it'll actually sound that bad, and not only do I guarantee it, George Zimmer also guarantees it*

* = neither obobski nor George Zimmer actually guarantee this, however they do wonder why this thread is still open and going
successful troll is successful

I don't want to start a flame war here, but monoprice cables are really crappy.
Maybe you should buy some before rating them. It's not like they fall apart or anything. Their insulation is extremely well made. As for the conductors that doesn't matter. People who want your money will try and convince you otherwise.

There's no secret science behind cables. You get a heavy gauge of stranded copper and that's about it. Or you can buy gold cables I suppose, but I really don't see the point of spending $1000's just to play with resistances that aren't going to be much of an ohm. I mean it's like debating 0.500000mm pencil lead vs 0.500001mm pencil lead.

Last edited:
Bluejeanscable usually costs something like $10 + $3/foot or something similar, depending on the cable. Not exactly dirt cheap, for cables, but not expensive either. I think they're a decent deal for well-constructed cables. They certainly do not try to rip you off (if they even do) like Monster cable or other audiophile cables that cost in the hundreds or thousands. That's like robbery.

And their customer service is also great. They once didn't send me the shrink wrap (on heating) parts with my connector, since I didn't order a connector with actual cables (and when you do, they will send it to you) because they didn't know what size I wanted. I told them that I thought they would give me a pair for 12 gauge speaker cables, and they shipped another small package for me free of charge. It's precisely what I expect. No nonsense, no hidden costs, and if a customer makes a reasonable request, you fulfill it.

I'm removing this from my subscriptions now. PM me if it's really that important. Ok here's my end of the flame war:

We're trying to tell people if they go cheap on their cables, they wont be missing out much. You're being extreme and trying to tell everyone saving their money is incredibly stupid and they should be 'investing' at least a few hundred dollars in cables to make anything worthwhile. How does this not sound ridiculous to you? Like get out of your 'must spend' trance and be practical about things. Ever stop and think that these 'audiophile companies' are just pressing words together to make their cable sound majestic while also being your friend? You're not supporting a charity or the good of audio clarity with these ridiculous cable prices, you're just letting yourself get bought into marketing. We're not talking about automobiles or electronics, these are fucking strands of metal with with an electrical insulator. Get off the bandwagon already or show me your Bachelor's or Master's of Science degree. I'm not talking about my character here, it's this audiophile bullshit over cables. It's not about what I can't hear or can't afford, it's the principle of this. The subject of "obscure expensive cables are the only real option" is such an uneducated train of thought and points to psychological flaws. So whether you can realize it or not, you want to show off your money, but won't acccept mass marketed and mass produced goods as fulfillment. Showing off money is fine, but this bullshit cable psychological disorder is like the aunt that comes over to eat all your food then shits on the floor.

"I bought this awesome TV and custom mounted it and all sorts of goodies!"
So what? Samsung reports 100,000 units were manufactured this year.
"I bought these obscure expensive cables from a business with a flash website with no employees that have English as a second language!"
Oh wow, these arent mass produced, good work! Let's go gay pride style and never shut up about this.

You cannot possibly argue with this post unless you show a photo of your Science Degree with your user name in the foreground to prove it's yours. You can photoshop out your last name if you want. If you have a PhD please state your area of specilization and what you've published. If science doesn't feel correct to you, then I think you accidentally ended up on Hardforum while on your way here http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

Last edited:
Blu-jeans looks like they make fantastic cable, but when I can get the same high quality cables for $15 shipped from monoprice that would cost me $80+ at bluejeans, that's where my wallet goes. There are some things you should invest a lot in for a sound system.

#1 - Speakers
#2 - Subwoofer
#3 - Receiver
#4 - Soundcard
etc... etc....
#Last - overpriced expensive cables that do absolutely nothing for your sound quality.

With the budget audio parts the OP recommended, you're not going to hear any difference between these cables, and Bluejean cables. I guarantee it.

My mistake, I never realize monoprice carries higher grade audio cables. Last time I checked they only offered cheap class 25ft 3.5mm cables, which died few in weeks. In that case I can't really comment on whether or not one cable is actually better than the other. But then the same rule applies for the rest of us.

Ya I dunno that I'd go recommending Bluejeans cable for cheap setups. I like BJC, they are extremely overbuilt professional grade cable (they use Belden cable, which is big in the broadcast world). However they are overkill for a low end setup, your money is better spent on other things. While Monoprice's cables aren't as durable, or as good at rejecting noise, neither of these is likley to be a problem in a home setup, especially over short distances.

Doesn't make sense to spend as much on cable as you are on an amp.

Also, there's nothing wrong with PC speakers. They are low end, but good for the money. At the $150 price point you are generally looking at 5.1 systems, not 2.0. While they certainly aren't going to compete with a home theater 5.1 setup, they are not a bad way to go if your budget is tight.

Finally at that price point, I don't think going with a modular setup is a good idea. If you want 2 channel sound for that price, some cheap powered monitors are probably the way to go. I don't think that a modular setup makes sense until you are willing to spend a bit more. These days there is a massive range of powered monitors available for a number of companies.

Love monoprice but I gotta toss in a quick warning about their 3.5mm to rca cables. Bought two versions jus to check them out. Their cheap stuff ($1+) and some pro stuff they had$6 or $8. Cheap stuff came in.. it is what it is.. but.. both the cheap and their pro stuff have loose fitting 3.5 plugs. it's as if they're off by .1mm .2mm. Too skinny. If I take a ipod shuffle and stick it on there, I can twirl it around freely while it's attached. All my other cables and headphones don't. Just sucks cuz I've had such good luck with all their other cables.

I listed BJC b/c once you have them, they last forever. Yes they are "expensive" compared to monoprice. They are not high end, I do not consider them to be anything but solid and durable.

A component setup for $150 vs ANY pc speaker or powered monitors for the same price? You really think there isn't a huge difference in sound quality? Really? Seems obvious to someone who has heard more setups than most. I know there is a convenience factor with powered monitors but unless you want to spend the $$ for at least A5s, there isn't a good reason to not get my suggested setup.

Consider that for the same price as A5s, you can get a decent 2.1. Anyone going to tell me the $$ isn't better spent on the 2.1? Why?

Sorry for trying to help the new guys. Obviously, my input is not needed here. So bye bye and enjoy your sound however you prefer it.

Cheers!

Ummmm, if you want to come and help people by offering suggestions, that's fine. However your word is not law, others are free to disagree with you and offer their suggestions in return. Don't get all huffy because people don't jump up and say "Oh that's so brilliant, it is the One True Way(tm) to do computer sound!"

You are welcome to state your views, we are welcome to state why we believe they are incorrect, you are then welcome to refute that and so on. However don't get mad because people disagree with you.

I actually like Blue Jeans Cable. Solid construction. I buy my audio cables from them only but digital cables I buy from mono.

I like them too, most of my cables are BJC. However, they are extremely overbuilt for most uses. I like them for that reason, they last and they are almost immune to any induced noise. However when budget is a concern, they aren't a good choice. I mean suppose you need a 6 foot 3.5 to RCA cable from your computer to your amp. Monoprice will sell you that for $2.50. From BJC it's $37.50. That is a significant portion of a $150 budget.

I fully recommend BJC for more expensive setups, I just don't recommend them for people trying to do things as cheaply as possible. If cheap cables break, well then can be replaced cheaply. Better to spend the money on higher quality speakers, which is always where the biggest sound problem is.

I like them too, most of my cables are BJC. However, they are extremely overbuilt for most uses. I like them for that reason, they last and they are almost immune to any induced noise. However when budget is a concern, they aren't a good choice. I mean suppose you need a 6 foot 3.5 to RCA cable from your computer to your amp. Monoprice will sell you that for $2.50. From BJC it's $37.50. That is a significant portion of a $150 budget.

I fully recommend BJC for more expensive setups, I just don't recommend them for people trying to do things as cheaply as possible. If cheap cables break, well then can be replaced cheaply. Better to spend the money on higher quality speakers, which is always where the biggest sound problem is.

That is a good point. I am not huffy btw lol. Just amused. Cheap pc speakers piss me off though. Sorry.

I listed BJC b/c once you have them, they last forever. Yes they are "expensive" compared to monoprice. They are not high end, I do not consider them to be anything but solid and durable.

A component setup for $150 vs ANY pc speaker or powered monitors for the same price? You really think there isn't a huge difference in sound quality? Really? Seems obvious to someone who has heard more setups than most. I know there is a convenience factor with powered monitors but unless you want to spend the $$ for at least A5s, there isn't a good reason to not get my suggested setup.

Consider that for the same price as A5s, you can get a decent 2.1. Anyone going to tell me the $$ isn't better spent on the 2.1? Why?

Sorry for trying to help the new guys. Obviously, my input is not needed here. So bye bye and enjoy your sound however you prefer it.

Cheers!

You're not sharing any kind of glorious revelation here... People debate the merits of 2.0 powered monitors vs an amp + passives all the freaking time here, and plastic PC speakers are generally looked down upon by anyone who's had the pleasure of hearing something better, so the hollier-than-thou attitude is quite unnecessary... 'Specially considering some of your questionable component choices...

Lastly, theres a lot of powered monitors for $120-180 that are much more cost-effective than the A5 for $280 or whatever they're going for after discounts, I'm not sure why you're dismissing anything cheaper than the A5 as instantly worthless. The A5 are nice, but a great bang for the buck they're not, and there's plenty of options out there.

The A5s do not match up to my setup, which costs about $100 less and close to the cheaper powered monitors. That IS my point.

the insignias do not match up to the TSC speakers, I have had both.
Now that's some info a lot of us can use. Many here have heard or owned the insignia's, and they were pretty darn good imho considering the price and easy mod potential.

Now your saying The Speaker Company is better than the insignia's, any way of describing how they're better?. Better highs perhaps?

Oh yea, and what model TSC speaker did you own?

TIA

The A5s do not match up to my setup, which costs about $100 less and close to the cheaper powered monitors. That IS my point.

Did you read what I posted tho? MY point is that there are 2.0 powered monitor setups that are much more affordable than the A5 and compete pretty well with it (KRK, Samson, Swan, etc.), the A5 are overpriced... You can get a comparable set of powered monitors for $150 (give or take) and a sub to pair them with for another $100 and you end up with a similar budget (or lower) as you did with the passives + amp + sub... With two very comparable setups, obviously prices are flexible and you can come in under/over budget either way depending on personal choices.

Neither setup is clearly superior to the other imo tho, so it comes down to the merits of a more compact setup vs a more flexible/upgradeable setup, etc. And I say this once again, that's something that is discussed around here all the freaking time, you're not sharing any sort of foreign concept with any of the regular sub-forum dwellers here... And they tend to be very helpful when people ask for exactly this kind of advice, but without pushing THE one option as the absolute best.

I do agree that if there's no space constraints then going the discrete route has more upsides.

Last edited:
Did you read what I posted tho? MY point is that there are 2.0 powered monitor setups that are much more affordable than the A5 and compete pretty well with it (KRK, Samson, Swan, etc.), the A5 are overpriced... You can get a comparable set of powered monitors for $150 (give or take) and a sub to pair them with for another $100 and you end up with a similar budget (or lower) as you did with the passives + amp + sub... With two very comparable setups, obviously prices are flexible and you can come in under/over budget either way depending on personal choices.

Neither setup is clearly superior to the other imo tho, so it comes down to the merits of a more compact setup vs a more flexible/upgradeable setup, etc. And I say this once again, that's something that is discussed around here all the freaking time, you're not sharing any sort of foreign concept with any of the regular sub-forum dwellers here... And they tend to be very helpful when people ask for exactly this kind of advice, but without pushing THE one option as the absolute best.

I do agree that if there's no space constraints then going the discrete route has more upsides.

nah you're missing his point, he said you're wrong, and automatically that makes him right, because he's the King of Space

Naw, just better sounding than the monitors. That is the only definite "truth". The powered monitors are pretty close in most ways but not in the dynamic range area. When talking games, there are huge swings b/w the softest and loudest peaks. Better to have a full sized bookshelf and some dedicated power behind the sound than built in micro-machines.

Sorry if I came off harsh. Not really me at all. I am a considerate, balanced personality. Willing to listen and give credit when due etc. I admit that I missed the original idea of powered monitors and a sub. GREAT idea of course lol. Much love.

Anyway, imo TSC has the best bang for the buck in terms of entry level sound only. I have had their entry level bookshelfs, their 3 dual driver center channel package and their 250 sub. All do very well. Nothing fancy, just solid, smooth sound. THey do not try to do too much and thus sound natural and "real" for cheap speakers. The sub is a bit directional, aka you can tell where it is in the room sometimes and it doesn't really have the greatest articulation ever BUT for the $$? Crazy good bass.

Next level is obviously, Energy, Av123, HSU (awesome bookshelf speakers btw), Paradigm, Ascend, Usher are all can't miss brands too. I would try and get any of those used.

I am the truth, follow me off a cliff.

The problem with the Insignias is that they simply cannot project, in a medium-to-larger sized room. It doesn't sound great (becomes a lot muddier) once you sit farther back. Don't know why that's the case but it just is. I had the Insignias before my current speakers.

They are still good value though, for the $$ that they cost and would recommend them to anyone with an amplifier, no speakers, and $50 in hand.

let's keep this civil and O/T

I like BJC but my ears are not that precise where I would notice a difference so I go with Monoprice on any higher $$ cable. I make my own rca's however. I think if your going to go super budget then DIY needs to be an option. I believe BJC uses some of the same stuff anyways.. They use canare quad right?

Yeah except they are $89+ tax nowadays. Back when they were $50, they and a t-amp were a wonderful cheap combo. Now they are priced the same as the TSC speakers which do a good job in small to medium rooms. Their center channel deal 3 for $150, gives you six drivers and 3 tweets. Pretty solid response in my den. I replaced them with some larger tower speakers but could easily live with them if I had to.

Pyle doesn't always stink lol. Plus the T-amp is right there too remember. Still sounds better than any $150 monitor but yeah, just a suggestion. Not saying I am right.

Ya I dunno that I'd go recommending Bluejeans cable for cheap setups. I like BJC, they are extremely overbuilt professional grade cable (they use Belden cable, which is big in the broadcast world). However they are overkill for a low end setup, your money is better spent on other things. While Monoprice's cables aren't as durable, or as good at rejecting noise, neither of these is likley to be a problem in a home setup, especially over short distances.

I was in need of some decent analog Interconnects and was considering Monoprice. So I looked into their PREMIUM 2 RCA cables. The reviews were mostly positive but a couple of the very first reviews were not so good. One fellow even said he immediately noticed the sound quality drop and even his girlfriend noticed, too. I read other reviews on the net that say stay away from Monoprice for analog cables, also. So I went with analog interconects from Signal Cable. Excellent high quality cables that will last and come with a lifetime warranty.

I don't know how you guys feel, but even with a low-end or home setup that cost about $300 or so, I still want it to sound as good as its capable of. With used and closeout gear you can actually get some very decent sounding stuff for cheap, like this decent little Pioneer Integrated Amp as an alternative to the Pyle Pro or T-amp and these Infinity Speakers as an alternative to PC speakers. If you were going to hook up a tuner or tape player to that setup, seems like spending some money on decent cables to insure good connections, good signal flow and good sound quality is a smart move and not overkill at all. And if you cant afford a couple pairs of BJC ICs, then get the Monoprice cables and upgrade later when funds are available. Quality analog cables are important. No, you don't need to spend a fortune for extreme hi-end bling cables, but BJC and Signal Cable are excellent cables, affordable and blow Monoprice cables out of the water, IMO. Just my $.02

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back