An Adventure Into LGA 771

btw, worth noting is those DIMM's came out of a Sun T5140 server (1U server) when we upgraded to higher density memory, considering that it's a 1U server they came from they didnt exactly need a ton of airflow to stay within range. A low volume 80mm fan should be plenty, or whatever you happen to have laying around for that matter :)

looking good man, keep us posted!

btw, worth noting is those DIMM's came out of a Sun T5140 server (1U server) when we upgraded to higher density memory, considering that it's a 1U server they came from they didnt exactly need a ton of airflow to stay within range. A low volume 80mm fan should be plenty, or whatever you happen to have laying around for that matter :)

looking good man, keep us posted!

Thank you! I might have a smaller fan laying around...

Guess what the postman brought me today?

Two Xeon E5405 SLAP2 CPUS!

speedster4.jpg

I am still waiting on the thermalright heatsinks, but might jury-rig something up if I get tired of waiting.

hehe I got my ram today... happy day for both....
enjoy the procs... glad to see they are finally getting recycled...

hehe I got my ram today... happy day for both....
enjoy the procs... glad to see they are finally getting recycled...

Thanks a lot! I might try and get some sort of ghetto HSF mounted to these tonight so I can do some benches... we'll see.

Now where are my cable ties.... :eek:

Right now, I am extremely frustrated.

Either I am doing something wrong, or I am having extremely terrible luck with motherboards.

I cannot get this system to post, despite triple-checking everything and fabbing up a molex to four-pin SSI PCI-e power connector.

In frustration, I took a break and decided to test a new mITX 775 board I bought here on [H]. It too won't post, no matter what memory I try.

I am going to take a break, drink a soda, and frag the hell out of some folks in BC2 to take the edge off, then return to this mess. I'll provide details and photos later if I still need some help.

EDIT: The MITX board is working fine now; had some bad RAM. Speaking of RAM, I might have a memory compatibility issue with my MSI board. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
ugh. I know what those nights are like. sometimes it seems like nothing is working. good luck to you, and I'm glad to hear you're at least nailing down some of your issues.

Right now, I am extremely frustrated.

Either I am doing something wrong, or I am having extremely terrible luck with motherboards.

I cannot get this system to post, despite triple-checking everything and fabbing up a molex to four-pin SSI PCI-e power connector.

In frustration, I took a break and decided to test a new mITX 775 board I bought here on [H]. It too won't post, no matter what memory I try.

I am going to take a break, drink a soda, and frag the hell out of some folks in BC2 to take the edge off, then return to this mess. I'll provide details and photos later if I still need some help.

EDIT: The MITX board is working fine now; had some bad RAM. Speaking of RAM, I might have a memory compatibility issue with my MSI board. I'll keep you guys posted.

try without ram... it should beep telling you there is no ram... least you will know if the mobo is bad....

the non-server board might not accept the FB-DIMMS, let me know if you run into any other issues, I have more of those DIMM's I sent you, lots more.

But this is a server board, meant for FB-DIMMs only. I don't know what the problem is right now, and I'm going to bed.

I get no beeps at all; I don't think this board even has a speaker. I've read and re-read the manual to no avail.

This system powers on and fans spin, but does not post. I have tried different dimms, double-checked which slots are needed, etc. I have also tried multiple GPUs and swapped PCI-e slots. I'm wondering if the BIOS isn't compatible with these ES CPUs...

It may be frustrating, but it's good news to know that I have a new AMD Phenom II X4, H50, and Cooler Master Elite 360 case in the mail to entertain me. I need something to cheer me up.

My nice Thermaltake coolers arrive on Wed or Thurs. This memory is the correct type and speed, so I've ruled it out. Does anyone have any non-es 771 CPUs to loan me, perhaps? If not, I'll throw down $30 and buy some 5130 dual-cores from fleabay.

Fair enough. Yes, it does support 1333 FSB. The MSI website gives almost no information. I am in talks with the seller at the moment to troubleshoot it.

The good news: my heatsinks arrived! Also, I received some quality support from the seller, who contacted MSI for me.

The bad news: My CPUs might be incompatible with the board. I ordered a known-good dual-core for $15 from eBay to test the board. If it works, and with Patriot's permission, I might trade those SLAP2 chips for some older Clovertown L5320 1.8 GHz quads that a colleague of mine has.

is there maybe a bios flash needed to add compatability for the other CPU's?

There is one BIOS update listed, but it says it supports "E0 stepping", but doesn't give any specifics. I'll try it once my dual-core shows up.

I did indeed try that, Patriot. I am free tomorrow afternoon and will start the troubleshooting from scratch. My freaking MSI AM3 board is acting up now, so I am about done with their brand.

This MSI board isn't working out, so I plunked down $75 for a Super Micro Computer X7DBE. It's got all the features I want, was tested with the same series of CPU that I have, and will get this build done once and for all. It gets here next week, and then I'll be up and rolling again!

In other news the AM3 MSI board has been replaced with a Gigabyte one, and my main desktop is up and running again. It's nice to know that at least something doesn't hate me. I start my new job in a few weeks and am looking forward to getting my first paycheck in.

How is this build coming? Any info on PPD, or performance yet. The LGA 771 dual socket boards have piqued my interest lately with new boards at $80. The only problem I see for myself is getting a decent pair of processors for cheap.

Gratz on the new job!

I am having motherboard issues... I may just buy a new in box one. I bought a supermicro replacement and it showed up with a bent pin and won't always recognize my memory. It's going back to the seller, so I don't know what I'll do yet.

dude that sucks :( really sorry to hear you're still having hw probs

I got my other rigs sorted out (775 fileserver, AM3 gaming rig, 775 HTPC), but this one still hates me.

The good news is that a.) my new job starts Monday, and b.) I should have some graduation cash to burn on something new. I'm not giving up on the whole 771 thing, but I may have to make other arrangements for a motherboard.

Man, that is some bad luck! Hopefully you can get a board that works well. Gratz on being near graduation, and good luck with that new job!

EDIT: Oh, and gratz on getting your other systems worked out.

Noble, whatever became of this project? I have a low-voltage S771 system under construction at the moment.

Back