An Adventure Into LGA 771

Fuck you NobleX13.. I hate you. :p

Because of you, I am about to embark on an old school project.. something I've wanted to play with for awhile now. More details to come. :D
Nevermind, dude in the FS/FT forum is trying to fuck me.. I don't think my plan will happen. :disgruntled:

How does one get invited to this IRC club?
Install, or run via web, an IRC client and connect to server irc.dp.cx, channel #hardocp

some common irc client include:

mirc
trillian
xchat
mibbit (web based)
andchat (android)

Fuck you NobleX13.. I hate you. :p

Because of you, I am about to embark on an old school project.. something I've wanted to play with for awhile now. More details to come. :D

Well I love myself, so it's ok. :) Good luck with your project, but if it is so awesome that I want to copy it and spend my last few dollars on it, than I will not be happy. :D

I have no problem acquiring a S771 board for them. I'd probably put them to use on my uniprocessor farm which, as you know, has always been important to me. I'll send you a PM as to my next project, want to tease NobleX13 a bit more.

Stop teasing me! Just because I'm younger than you doesn't mean you have to be mean. :eek:

I am busy as HELL this weekend, but will hop on IRC sometime next week. I saw the spreadsheet, and am curious as to what Tobit has planned with that hex-core Opteron... :) The motherboard arrived today (sorry no pics yet), and the heatsinks will get here while I am gone. My second GTX 460 arrived, and I'm mighty pleased with it.

I have a job interview tomorrow! Income = PPD! Wish me luck.

Last edited:
NobleX13 - I was going to build a Sossaman system, something I've want to do for a long time. However, the seller is now fucking me around so it might not happen. Oh well.

NobleX13 - I was going to build a Sossaman system, something I've want to do for a long time. However, the seller is now fucking me around so it might not happen. Oh well.

PM me the name of the seller... maybe we've met before?

I had that board for a couple of days. Gave me nothing but trouble but it wasn't new. Also, this board won't support software FSB OCing if you want to get max performance out of it.

Yeah, and I doubt my MSI will unofficially support 1600 FSB.

That combo was $150 when I looked at it yesterday. NewEgg must be getting desperate to clear it out. Those 5148 are 40W TDP so it might make for a nice 4xUniprocessor rig. they might have difficulties with 6701 units.

They have indeed dropped in price... Too bad those aren't quads.

Anyway, my job interview went well! I interviewed for two hours with four different people and I should know today or Monday if I got it... Fingers crossed! This position is right up my alley and should make my life much happier.

Come again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you! I am anxiously awaiting those! By next week the RAM and CPUs should be here, so this build will be underway soon.

Thank you! I am anxiously awaiting those! By next week the RAM and CPUs should be here, so this build will be underway soon.

I think the "due date" is saturday...

Thats cool I didnt know you could find motherboards with processors included. I would like to get into folding, but I am limited on funds right now. Before I even start getting into folding, what kind of internet bandwidth is required to upload finished work? I am on a crappy 6mbps/512kbps DSL connection with no other option. How many points per day could I do with say 400kbps upload, and what what kind of rig would I need to max that?

Honestly, you have more than enough bandwidth. Even if you were running ten dual hex-core SR-2 machines running bigadv work units, I doubt you would run into connection issues unless they all tried to upload their units at once.

Thats cool I didnt know you could find motherboards with processors included. I would like to get into folding, but I am limited on funds right now. Before I even start getting into folding, what kind of internet bandwidth is required to upload finished work? I am on a crappy 6mbps/512kbps DSL connection with no other option. How many points per day could I do with say 400kbps upload, and what what kind of rig would I need to max that?

If you're bandwidth constrained, the best option is probably the beta V7 client running bigadv - it downloads/uploads big data files, but only every couple of days. You need a PC with at least 8 threads - dual quad, or overclocked quad with hyperthreading. The V7 client overlaps uploads/downloads - so you download the next WU just before finishing the current WU, then you upload the results file while already processing the next WU.

Next best is standard SMP - same upload/download overlap with V7, but somewhat smaller units, more frequently.

H.

Honestly, you have more than enough bandwidth. Even if you were running ten dual hex-core SR-2 machines running bigadv work units, I doubt you would run into connection issues unless they all tried to upload their units at once.

Ok, that makes me feel better, I didnt know what the bandwidth requirements are.

If you're bandwidth constrained, the best option is probably the beta V7 client running bigadv - it downloads/uploads big data files, but only every couple of days. You need a PC with at least 8 threads - dual quad, or overclocked quad with hyperthreading. The V7 client overlaps uploads/downloads - so you download the next WU just before finishing the current WU, then you upload the results file while already processing the next WU.

Next best is standard SMP - same upload/download overlap with V7, but somewhat smaller units, more frequently.

H.

I will have to look into it, I should have some time next week due to spring break. My best computer available right now is a quad core Phenom 9600 black oc'd on stock voltage to 2.5ghz, but I have a laptop with a core 2 duo T5600 at 1.83ghz.

How old of a computer can use folding at home? At what point do they become useless for folding? I have 6 pentium 3 933mhz boxes, like 3 p4 1-2ghz machines, an athlon xp 2400+ machine, and a few others just stacked in a corner collecting dust.

Those machines are hardly worth the power to run them. They will run folding at home just fine but the obviously won't produce many points.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeez, talk about thread hijacking.... :D

Anyway, looks like 1.) everything will be here by Saturday, and 2.) I will actually have time to build this over the weekend. Photos and updates to come, folks.

Jeez, talk about thread hijacking.... :D

Anyway, looks like 1.) everything will be here by Saturday, and 2.) I will actually have time to build this over the weekend. Photos and updates to come, folks.

Sorry about that sir!

Good luck with the build this weekend! Will look forward to seeing the updates and photos.

No harm done. We got three inches of snow today in the middle of April, so the USPS might be delayed.

3 inches of *snow*?! We've got some pretty heavy rain here (Illinois), but it's nowhere near that cold. Whereabouts is "here" for you?

Man, last friday I got 11 inches of snow in California. The power went out so I was without [H] for most of the day!

Hopefully USPS gets your rig in. I woud love to see how many ppd that rig puts out.

The good news: The RAM arrived today! Thanks Mtnduey!

The bad news: I do not have access to the appropriate tungsten-carbide or diamond-coated drill bits to drill through the high-carbon steel of the brackets for these heatsinks. As such, I finally got a god deal on some Thermalright HR-01's, which should get here around Wednesday.

My CPUs should get here Monday. Everything takes an extra day getting here.

Wow, thats some heavy duty stuff. I would not have expected PC components to be so [H]ard, literally!

Once those CPU's get there we should be ready for some action of the folding kind.

Wow, thats some heavy duty stuff. I would not have expected PC components to be so [H]ard, literally!

Once those CPU's get there we should be ready for some action of the folding kind.

It's nothing too extreme, but I have cheap tools to work with.

Well, I have successfully modified my old Rosewill ATX case to fit this monstrous EATX server board.

I drilled out all the rivets holding the optical drive and HDD cage to the case and removed it.

After that, I drilled four holes in the bottom of the case to allow a standard 3.5" HDD to be bottom-mounted.

I also broke a dill bit on those damn rivets.

speedster1.jpg

speedster2yey.jpg

Here you can see the memory slots populated with 8x1GB FBDIMMs
speedster3.jpg

Oh I bet they will. Once I get my new FS/T thread up I will order some memory coolers. Any recommendations?

Nice work Noble.

Thanks. That means a lot coming from you, Tobit.

Rather than memory coolers, maybe you could just point a fan at them?

Back