An absoutely, amazingly frustrating issue...

Loiselle

n00b
I'll start with my system specs to get that out of the way...

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU
BFG nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OC video card
8GB G.Skill PC2-6400 Memory (4 x 2GB sticks)
650w Antec Neo Power Modular Blue PSU
Western Digital 160GB Caviar 7200 RPM 8MB cache HDD
Acer H213H 1080p 21.5" Monitor
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OS

here's the issue... will spell it out very plain and simple...

2 users are on the PC, User A & B... both have their resolution settings to 1920 x 1080 via HDMI cable.

User A logs into Windows Vista. Has on-screen icons located in the upper right, lower left and lower right. Organized and set neatly as in this picture. (ignore the resolution, it's just a screen grab)

Desktop1.jpg

User B needs to use the PC, so user A hits "Windows-L" to switch users.

User B then logs into their screen name, and does whatever. User A wants to use the PC again... User B hits "windows-L" and then User A logs back into his session.

User A's icons are moved around. Mainly as show in this picture.

Desktop2.jpg

Here's what I have done to try and remedy this issue.

1. Installed older video drivers.
2. Returned Video Card for a new one.
3. Reinstalled Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OS.
4. Used other 1920 x 1080p monitors/hdtv's.

None of them have worked. Nothing has worked. I have searched the internet for solutions. I have tried them all.................

All have failed.

I am at my wits end here. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this problem is... and yet, I can't find a single damn solution.

Any help whatsoever is appreciated. Forgive me if I reply with the classic, "Yeah, already tried that." Or, "Yep. Didn't work." So on and so forth.

Thanks for reading

Just use Rocketdock...lol

wow subtract 1 from this guys postcount please :\

Not that I can be of much more help :p. Obviously you're aware this isn't stock vista behaivior, which leads me to think its an app. With nothing else installed, running just a bunch of useless shortcuts on your desktop, does it do the same thing?

Are you running any 3rd party software which might, in any way, modify the windows UI? Never heard of infranview?

Somehow, maybe the secure desktop isn't set to your desktop resolution?

I have something of a workaround though: the windows quicklaunch bar in vista allows you to hit windowskey - n , where n can be any number 1 through 9 and it will launch the nth item in your quicklaunch bar (eg pressing winkey and 3 will launch the 3rd item in your quicklaunch bar). That, and the ability to hit windows key and the abillity to type th e first three letters of whatever I need tor run means I seldom use my desktop for anything more than a big to-be-filed destination.

And there is some reason use of dock, wouldn't do the job? Very small memory foot print and it would his/her icons to where ever section of the screen.

I ran my PC for over a year with these same programs installed on my pc at a resolution of 1680x1050 without a problem... I upgraded my monitor and now I run into this problem.

let me be clear in saying that this issue is not just happening on my new monitor... but on any display that is 1920x1080. I really believe that is has something to do with that resolution.

Try updating your drivers or setting up a profile in the nvidia cp specifically for this resolution. Or try to run with a different cable.

soviet... tried with dvi and hdmi cables... tried setting up a profile in the nvidia cp... still same issue... thanks though.

Back