Amp for HD555's & possibly eventual Bookshelf speakers

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
I love my HD555's (modded), have had them for a while. Since I've gotten them, and seeing what I've been missing all along, it's made me want to see what else is out there. I was tempted to buy an even higher end pair, but knew that wasn't the correct way to go about it, and that an amp may be needed. I was recommended this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

However I know there are desktop amps out there too, and I'm not sure which would be the better route. Eventually I'd like to get myself some bookshelf speakers too, but that would be further down the road. It should be considered when making my purchase though I guess, as I'd like to get as much life out of these products as possible.

I mostly game on my PC, but don't use my headphones for game sounds much because I use vent/mumble/voip through the headphones when playing. Sometimes however I do use them for game sounds. I'd say about 70% of my time on the computer is playing games, mostly MMO's however, followed by FPS. The other time spent on the computer, and sometimes mixing in while playing games, is for music. However I have shitty file types from torrenting and itunes, so this is where I am at a loss.

I'd like to view this purchase as an investment, and get the most out of it. But I also am a Plug & Play type of person and do not know much about these types of things to be spending hours customizing it and such. Basically, the sound through Sennheisers was like opening a door for me, and I want to see where the door leads. If just changing my headphones could make this much of a difference, I need to see what else I can do to make it even better.

edit: Also note, I have my crappy altec lansing 2.1 speakers plugged into a cheap creative xfi usb external soundcard thing I picked up from bestbuy, this way I can change default devices for sound and choose where i want to output games/music depending on what I'm doing. I like to have vent in ears sometimes with music through speakers. I'd like to still be able to do this if possible.

Last edited:
Back